F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Is this how i detail my car properly?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Is this how i detail my car properly?

Products
Gilmour foam gun
Chemical guys citrus wash and gloss
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner
Opti bond tire gel
Chemical guys 200 grams clay bar
Chemcal guys luber 16 oz
Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant v3
2 faced applicator
Tire gel applicator
Chenille wash mitts
Microfibre towels
2 12inch buckets
2 12inch grit guards

Spray the wheels with sonax full effect wheel cleaner. Wait few minutes. Scrub the wheels with a brush. Rinse with hose.
Soak the car in citrus wash and gloss shampoo with the gilmour gun. 2 buckets one with clean water and one with CG CW&G shampoo. Both with the grit guard inserts. I use the chenille mitt to wash the car after pre soak. After mitt is dirty wash in the clean water bucket and then put in CW&G bucket and repeat washing. After i washed the car i hose the shampoo off. Then i dry the car with microfibre towels. After that i spray the car with Chemical guys luber and then rub the clay bar on sprayed areas. Then wipe the excess spray. Then dry the car. apply wolfgangs deep gloss paint sealant onto the on a applicator such as 2 faced durafoam applicator pad. Then rub the pad onto the car and spread evenly. After 20 minutes wipe the excess paint sealant off with a microfibre towel. Apply opti bond tire gel on tire applicator rub onto tires.

Is that the correct way to detail a car?
The paint sealant is 16oz how much do you guys think i would use on a one time detail?
If you suggest better products please post!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hi Dan

Your process is great for a major detail & I'd only make a few suggestions to help you out and clarify the minor points.

When washing the car, start from the top and work your way down to the lower panels (so the majority of the dirt is touched last and hence doesn't have a chance to end up in the wash mitt and damaging the rest of the paintwork)

Wash the mitt in clean water after every panel - don't wait for it to get visibly dirty.

Regarding Chem guys Citrus wash and gloss (CWG) - I used to love this stuff but found out that it can & will strip away your wax as its quite strong. I would switch over to a high sudsing shampoo which is PH balanced and doesn't attack wax. (DP make a high foaming one)

You can also top your sealant with an LSP such as a good wax for depth and warmth. I'd recommend Naviwax/P21S/ DP Max Wax as they're fairly easy to use tub waxes.

Lastly, post some pics of the process. Action shots are fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
Hi Dan

Your process is great for a major detail & I'd only make a few suggestions to help you out and clarify the minor points.

When washing the car, start from the top and work your way down to the lower panels (so the majority of the dirt is touched last and hence doesn't have a chance to end up in the wash mitt and damaging the rest of the paintwork)

Wash the mitt in clean water after every panel - don't wait for it to get visibly dirty.

Regarding Chem guys Citrus wash and gloss (CWG) - I used to love this stuff but found out that it can & will strip away your wax as its quite strong. I would switch over to a high sudsing shampoo which is PH balanced and doesn't attack wax. (DP make a high foaming one)

You can also top your sealant with an LSP such as a good wax for depth and warmth. I'd recommend Naviwax/P21S/ DP Max Wax as they're fairly easy to use tub waxes.

Lastly, post some pics of the process. Action shots are fun.
which is the DP ph balance high suds shampoo?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

DP Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States