F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Accident Repair Inspection
Studio RSR

06-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Accident Repair Inspection

Got into an accident last week, luckily no injuries. However, this is the first major accident I've had, and I'm unsure what to look for when picking it up.

What has me so concerned is the frame. The other driver had some speed, having crossed 5 lanes of traffic before hitting my car. When I brought it to the body shop, they took a really quick 360 around the car, and said it wasn't safe to drive. They said they would order the new parts that day (new driver door, new rear passenger door, new front quarter panel). It doesn't look like the A or B pillar are involved, but since its a lease, I hope the dealership run body shop wouldn't overlook that so they could just get the repair.

What should I be looking for when I pick up the vehicle? I'll definitely be looking at the paint (and I have some experience with that), but is there any red flags I should be looking for with this type of damage?

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Body parts alignment, spacing between them, paint overspray on the molding (shouldn't have any, since the parts needed to be replaced are all removable), swirling in the paint (if they didn't take proper tools - time to prepare the panel for paint).

By doing a compare between left and right side, should have a good idea about the quality of the job.

And, very important, color match !
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
DrCook
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSport

If it's a lease then it should be at a certified BMW collision center. I was under the impression that if there is structural damage at all on BMW vehicles, they will total it.

I was recently hit and had them reset the front fender and hood because the spacing was off. Paint should be smooth without fisheyes, contaminents, or runs.

Hope it all works out and glad everyone is safe.
Appreciate 0