F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Yet another Apple CarPlay question
GetBMWParts

04-14-2021, 03:34 AM   #67
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post

Said feedback is the reason why I also purchased it. But similar threads to my issue also remain unanswered so assume it’s either a bad unit, or inherent part of the product (maybe more than just a few) and people don’t notice it.

Perhaps differing firmware, it’s an Andream unit with the above version. Mine doesn’t reach 20 volume (main output). Music volume was set to 9 (max), main volume on max was just horrible.. Albeit I imagine we’re referring to the same thing unless there’s drastic differences in firmware options. Or again pointing to a defective unit. At this stage I don’t really care. Might revisit in the future but it’s done for now.

Aside from my issues, CarPlay seems to auto connect just fine in the weekend of testing, receiving/making calls. Only immediate thing that occurred by chance is that I received a second audio call whilst already on one, it kept flashing (iDrive screen) on and off then the MMI rebooted.

Edit: and the echo issue
As per my previous post, the "20/max" setting is for the Aux volume in iDrive. Although your MMI unit has its own volume outputs, for the units sold by TA Automotive it's the iDrive Aux setting which has to be set to max.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:33 AM   #68
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
As per my previous post, the "20/max" setting is for the Aux volume in iDrive. Although your MMI unit has its own volume outputs, for the units sold by TA Automotive it's the iDrive Aux setting which has to be set to max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post

There’s a reason why I didn’t set aux volume to max on the iDrive, as the higher the volume the higher the static/noise. See previously linked video above without music playing. Remains the same once audio is streaming with the same background noise. No MMI settings change this.

Appreciate what the instructions you were given state, but the reality in my situation is different. Conclusion is the unit is defective as everyone else clearly doesn’t have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:26 AM   #69
RatPC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Nothing to be sorry about, this was only on a test unit on a test bench.

Best solution is an ID5 unit - if you have ID4 then you can just replace the HU and keep all connected drive services.
I like the sound of that! And an ID5 HU isnt an awful lot more than an MMI box really!

I guess i can then try and retrofit a rear camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #70
Z13-F30
Rep
Drives: 320d F30 M-Sport

Yet another Apple CarPlay question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPC View Post
Quote:
Nothing to be sorry about, this was only on a test unit on a test bench.

Best solution is an ID5 unit - if you have ID4 then you can just replace the HU and keep all connected drive services.
I like the sound of that! And an ID5 HU isnt an awful lot more than an MMI box really!

I guess i can then try and retrofit a rear camera.

I dont think an ID5 unit is needed if you want CarPlay. Android Auto is a whole other problem, an MMI box will be needed, but there is some on the forums kubax86, who said its possible to activate CarPlay for ID4, i just done activated it for my ID5 and it worked a treat.

Really simple process and patient as well, i asked quite a few questions and he answered them all!

Was a good price too!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #71
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

I'm sure this is covered further back in the thread, CarPlay activation on the ID4 can be a bit sketchy due to the internal storage capacity on the unit. I'm sure I read it will be prone to crashing and isn't advised.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:57 AM   #72
RatPC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
I'm sure this is covered further back in the thread, CarPlay activation on the ID4 can be a bit sketchy due to the internal storage capacity on the unit. I'm sure I read it will be prone to crashing and isn't advised.
Yes i understand especially when using the BMW navigation it can cause reboots of the iDrive system
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #73
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Activating carplay on ID4 isn't sketchy at all. the issue is you have to flash the Headunit to ID5 first but the hardware isn't designed for the ID5 firmware & reboots in certain circumstances.

Anyone that says they can flash your Id4 > ID5 without any reboots is talking bollox.

Simplest way is to buy an ID5 unit, flash to 18-03 firmware and activate with patched FSC's - this will work flawlessly and allow full screen carplay without any emulators installed in your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #74
RatPC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Activating carplay on ID4 isn't sketchy at all. the issue is you have to flash the Headunit to ID5 first but the hardware isn't designed for the ID5 firmware & reboots in certain circumstances.

Anyone that says they can flash your Id4 > ID5 without any reboots is talking bollox.

Simplest way is to buy an ID5 unit, flash to 18-03 firmware and activate with patched FSC's - this will work flawlessly and allow full screen carplay without any emulators installed in your car.
I am torn between an ID5 HU and an Android HU at the moment! I want Car Play, but I also want to add a rear camera too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #75
wenlipai
Private
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i coupe

hi anyone can help me out? just installed carlinkit and everything works but when calling the microphone is not working as they don't hear me when I pick a call or make a call, I did set to OEM microphone
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #76
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatPC View Post
I am torn between an ID5 HU and an Android HU at the moment! I want Car Play, but I also want to add a rear camera too.
do it right and retrofit the camera the OEM way.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #77
Tony_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BWM 435d Xdrive

Hi All
I've just got a 2016 F33 NBT ID4 and I'm interested in adding an MMI box (for AA) and reverse camera. ID5/6 HU/Screen/controller upgrade seems a step too much for me at this stage (as I don't get AA)

I've had very limited sucess with Droid & Bavarian automotive giving me details on features/firmware etc so have bit the bullet on getting an Andream box from Ali (spain/germany)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192794400.html

And then do front mounted USB
https://www.lllparts.co.uk/category/...ch/51459393654

My question is can I do an OEM reverse camera too or would it need to be MMI/retro? I'm worried about joining 2 quadlocks (will it work/is there space etc). Has anyone done it? What order in joining? It seems the MMI reverse camera is just route the video and power into the MMI harness/cable.

Also worried about reverse install myself (especially on an F33 - how to route?) I assume you want to come down the passenger side and go behind glovebox?

Bavarian don't do installs and Droid said they can, but they are vague/unknown on the MMI box/camera and they say their camera doesn't even support guide lines. OEM seems to provide obstacle radar squares where retro does not I think.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!
PS did look @ TA Automotive - but they look down/gone now

Last edited by Tony_B; 07-16-2021 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #78
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_B View Post
Hi All
I've just got a 2016 F33 NBT ID4 and I'm interested in adding an MMI box (for AA) and reverse camera. ID5/6 HU/Screen/controller upgrade seems a step too much for me at this stage (as I don't get AA)

I've had very limited sucess with Droid & Bavarian automotive giving me details on features/firmware etc so have bit the bullet on getting an Andream box from Ali (spain/germany)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192794400.html

And then do front mounted USB
https://www.lllparts.co.uk/category/...ch/51459393654

My question is can I do an OEM reverse camera too or would it need to be MMI/retro? I'm worried about joining 2 quadlocks (will it work/is there space etc). Has anyone done it? What order in joining? It seems the MMI reverse camera is just route the video and power into the MMI harness/cable.

Also worried about reverse install myself (especially on an F33 - how to route?) I assume you want to come down the passenger side and go behind glovebox?

Bavarian don't do installs and Droid said they can, but they are vague/unknown on the MMI box/camera and they say their camera doesn't even support guide lines. OEM seems to provide obstacle radar squares where retro does not I think.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!
PS did look @ TA Automotive - but they look down/gone now
Speak to GA Coding or Jay BMW retrofit
Appreciate 2
Tony_B20.50
SirMoo3.00
      07-19-2021, 02:25 AM   #79
Tony_B
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BWM 435d Xdrive

Thanks will check them out - they only do OEM, but they may have a view on if the OEM reverse camera will ' play happy' with the MMI box
Appreciate 0