F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Quick Suv
GetBMWParts

01-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quick Suv

My Grand Cherokee summit lease is coming up and looking to get into a quick suv for my daily driver.

My issue is that I can't be in a "flashy" car for many of my work meetings, and some other aspects of life, so I need something that will be a little under the radar.

The logical choice seems to be a Cherokee SRT, but the residuals are so bad on them, I can lease an X5M or other German suv's for close to the same price.

Since the German suv's stick out too much, I am not sure I have much of a choice outside of an SRT if I want something quick.

Any other SUV's that compare to the SRT?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
What about the Audi SQ5? It's pretty understated.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Macan and de-badge?
      01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
My Grand Cherokee summit lease is coming up and looking to get into a quick suv for my daily driver.

My issue is that I can't be in a "flashy" car for many of my work meetings, and some other aspects of life, so I need something that will be a little under the radar.

The logical choice seems to be a Cherokee SRT, but the residuals are so bad on them, I can lease an X5M or other German suv's for close to the same price.

Since the German suv's stick out too much, I am not sure I have much of a choice outside of an SRT if I want something quick.

I love my macan S. Best handling SUV I've ever driven which includes many of the higher end SUVs like the Cayenne turbo and M SUVs. Actually more fun to drive than my f80 m3 was given the better quality, great sounding engine and exhaust and good steering. Add a piggyback and the car is 410 hp and 410 tq and even stock it is quite quick and the rear based awd is fantastic.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

My Vote is as stated above... Macan S = debadge

or keep pressing to see what kind of deal you can work out on the Cherokee SRT... such a badass machine it would be hard to pass up unless the lease rates were just terrible.

The 16's are right around the corner as well.

01-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I'm not sure I follow how a Grand Cherokee SRT is less 'flashy' than an X5, etc. Unless you just mean it won't appear to cost as much.

I'm not a big fan of the brand, and don't usually recommend them, but a new Explorer Sport may be worth your consideration. Much cheaper than even the Jeep GC, and comes with the 3.5 TT V6 EcoBoost. Around 360hp I believe, and they respond really well to tuning.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I'm not sure I follow how a Grand Cherokee SRT is less 'flashy' than an X5, etc. Unless you just mean it won't appear to cost as much.

I'm not a big fan of the brand, and don't usually recommend them, but a new Explorer Sport may be worth your consideration. Much cheaper than even the Jeep GC, and comes with the 3.5 TT V6 EcoBoost. Around 360hp I believe, and they respond really well to tuning.
What I have observed with "non car people" is that the badge is what makes the car. They can't tell a difference between a 30k jeep or 70k jeep, but if I show up in a 30k bmw it raises eyebrows. That is why I am looking to stay away from the German brands.

I think the best bet is to probably not worry about performance and look at the Explorer or maybe Volvo. Not sure if people think much of Volvo these days, I am yet to see the new one, but heard great things.

The srt seems to be the only "performance" suv that can be kept under the radar. And if I were buying over leasing, it would make sense. But to lease an srt at around the same price of an x5m seems odd to me. This is technically a company car, so I need it to be a lease.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Yeah, you have a point there with how people view cars based on badges. My 4Runner Trail Edition was far more than my (used) E90 335i, but everyone was always impressed by the BMW, just because of the badge, I guess. Only rednecks and Toyota fans are impressed with the 4Runner, lol.

I agree the new Volvo may certainly warrant a look. I also went to Ford's website and found out they are now doing a luxury take on the Explorer Sport called the 'Platinum'. That one may be even more low key.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
One of the ladies I work with just went from a 5er to a Maserati Ghibli. The comments are unrelenting despite the car being cheaper than her previous ride. I do get it.

I personally think the SRT is the most fun option (and it's really badass) but I think the SQ5 is also worth a look.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:

get an x5m and debage it,(better yet put the lowest model badging on it) don't get the red interior and get space grey no one is the wiser. Why cant you have nice things unless you are doing something illegal then i would say go the explorer route.

you are not buying a bright lime green lambo....grow a sack..hater going to hate... or if you want to fool everyone get the sports car and a 92 civic for your meetings....(you mean how you are embezzling from the company)

PM me! I want to know why you can be seen as doing well, maybe you have well off parents that give you 100k for christmas every year or blood money...fuck it life is short
      01-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
One of the ladies I work with just went from a 5er to a Maserati Ghibli. The comments are unrelenting despite the car being cheaper than her previous ride. I do get it.

I personally think the SRT is the most fun option (and it's really badass) but I think the SQ5 is also worth a look.
i like when people comment on my car. maybe i like that look at me attention, i also like going fast but hey Im a little vain
      01-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
get an x5m and debage it,(better yet put the lowest model badging on it) don't get the red interior and get space grey no one is the wiser. Why cant you have nice things unless you are doing something illegal then i would say go the explorer route.

you are not buying a bright lime green lambo....grow a sack..hater going to hate... or if you want to fool everyone get the sports car and a 92 civic for your meetings....(you mean how you are embezzling from the company)

PM me! I want to know why you can be seen as doing well, maybe you have well off parents that give you 100k for christmas every year or blood money...fuck it life is short
Lol, nothing illegal, I am in real estate. It's just harder to get deals done when people think you are already well off. Especially in the areas we invest in. I do have other vehicles to enjoy, that is why I am slowly coming off the "performance" suv idea.

It would be nice to have a daily car that is also fun to drive in a sport sense, but not really necessary in any way.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Lol, nothing illegal, I am in real estate. It's just harder to get deals done when people think you are already well off. Especially in the areas we invest in. I do have other vehicles to enjoy, that is why I am slowly coming off the "performance" suv idea.

It would be nice to have a daily car that is also fun to drive in a sport sense, but not really necessary in any way.
thought about everything and couldn't come up with one, get a SQ5 and swap the OOOO to ford and SQ5 for explorer?
      01-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #14
paulm3251
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan

I second SQ5.
      01-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
get an X5m and debaged it or better yet just get a color that is low key. Only the trained eye will know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'm going to go a different direction and say GLA45. It's small and based on the low rent GLA250, with the same unassuming looks. So it will not register as a big ostentatious luxury SUV. More importantly, it will bury the others in the handling department, and probably accelerate just as quickly as they will too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Ok New suggestion..

2016 Volvo XC90 R

Should be pretty quick- Great looks - killer interior.

Volvo doesn't say I have money , I'm here to show it off... etc..

Good Choice.
      01-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:

Not quick now? Blend in?

Subaru.
Birkenstocks...with socks.
Grow a beard.
Stick figure family and pets window sticker thingys on rear glass of your new Subaru.
      01-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I think you're dead-on about the view of German vehicles to a non-car person.

For US options, you're looking at a Jeep SRT or Ford Explorer Sport. I prefer the former, but understand the cost difference is significant.

What about your Japanese options?

My vote also goes with the Volvo XC-90. Looks great, is pretty quick, and doesn't raise eyebrows (like you are referring to the German vehicles).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I think you're dead-on about the view of German vehicles to a non-car person.

For US options, you're looking at a Jeep SRT or Ford Explorer Sport. I prefer the former, but understand the cost difference is significant.

What about your Japanese options?

My vote also goes with the Volvo XC-90. Looks great, is pretty quick, and doesn't raise eyebrows (like you are referring to the German vehicles).
I don't see me getting the explorer sport, if I get the explorer it will probably be the full size. The volvo does look great in pics, need to go see it in person. Not the best looking car from the exterior, but great interior, and nice tech.

The real question is if I am going to stick to my principles and refuse to lease a car with an absurdly low residual, or will I give into my wants and get the SRT anyways. For reference the residual on the top of the line volvo is 58% on a 36 month lease and 10k miles, the residual on an srt is 46%.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #21
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Get a Porsche Macan, ruin the paint and dent the body panels with a hammer. Make a monetized youtube video showing you defacing the brand new car to help with the self-inflicted depreciation.

Congratulations, you now have a badass SUV that's not "too flashy".
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #22
14SRT-15M4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

As far as SRT jeep goes, I traded my 14 SRT Jeep for my 15 F82, 0-60 was 4 flat (wet or dry), 12.6 in quarter mile, fast off the line, but from the roll not so (personally needed supercharger), handling was ok, but better when lowered, mod market is limited, unless spending $15k on motor/supercharger is your thing... My 2 cents, if you can wait for 17 SRT when they allegedly will drop Hellcat 707hp motor that will be cake...
Appreciate 0