F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What to expect?
ARMA SPEED

09-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, Sportline - AW/Black

What to expect?

Hey everyone,

As you can read in my very first post here, i currently still drive a Hyundai i30 ecosport edition, which is a 1.6 crdi with 90HP / 235 Nm (but i'm not sure how much it weighs though).

Now as i mentioned in that post, i have a company car coming in near the end of october, which is an f30 316d Sport line with i think 116HP

I have to admit something though, i was so amazed by the looks of the car, that i went and ordered it, without ever having (test)driven one, i've only sat in one in the showroom.

Im already more then a 100% sure that the F30 will be alot more comfortable, due to the options, amazing sport seats, and im pretty sure the suspension will be alot better then the hyundai's. In the hyundai they put a very low and veeerry stiff suspension on it, which feels sporty yes, but everyone hates driving along with me because they get shaken arround on the crappy belgian roads. You can literally feel every little bump in the road.
So i think the bmw's suspension will be more comfortable.

So, did anyone here ever drive a 316d ? What were your thoughts on it ?
(Keeping in mind that i've never owned any car that had over 90HP).

Thanks,
Oli
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Flakmunky
Amateur Brain Surgeon & Olympic Knitting Champion
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E85, E92, F31, G31

Don't worry, Ollie, it will be fine. I test drove a F31 320D M-Sport and the suspension was great, stiff but not uncompromising on our potholed UK roads.

Having never had over 90bhp you won't think the car underpowered.

Why not go along to a dealership and pretend you are going to buy? That way you can get a test drive... And a brochure to read until your car arrives!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmunky View Post
Don't worry, Ollie, it will be fine. I test drove a F31 320D M-Sport and the suspension was great, stiff but not uncompromising on our potholed UK roads.

Having never had over 90bhp you won't think the car underpowered.

Why not go along to a dealership and pretend you are going to buy? That way you can get a test drive... And a brochure to read until your car arrives!
Thanks Flakmunky

I already have all the brochures though
I think i'll just wait until i get the call that the car is ready to be picked up, and be even more surprised by how great it is then !
Its only 6 weeks from now, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
RPN
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opauwels View Post
Its only 6 weeks from now, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait
That sounds positively torturous to me. I can sympathize with pulling the trigger quickly once an opportunity finally presents, but go have some fun. Starting with the dealer you already purchased from. "Excuse me, but since you've already booked the sale, how about a thank you test drive?"

For your amusement I submit: drove a FY12 328i Sport line RWD a couple months after the F30 arrived locally, spent most of the next year beating myself up over whether I really deserved it, spent a month test driving the competition, then drove my local BMW dealer nuts by forcing him to do a deal with me in the last 4 hours of the last day of the month
But I got exactly the car I had decided I needed and most of what I wanted. I wanted a pure performance car, but needed to improve winter safety, all day comfort, and not break the bank.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

IMHO the 316 is abit under powered. Any chance you'll be able to squeeze out abit more mula for a 320?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPN View Post
That sounds positively torturous to me. I can sympathize with pulling the trigger quickly once an opportunity finally presents, but go have some fun. Starting with the dealer you already purchased from. "Excuse me, but since you've already booked the sale, how about a thank you test drive?"

For your amusement I submit: drove a FY12 328i Sport line RWD a couple months after the F30 arrived locally, spent most of the next year beating myself up over whether I really deserved it, spent a month test driving the competition, then drove my local BMW dealer nuts by forcing him to do a deal with me in the last 4 hours of the last day of the month
But I got exactly the car I had decided I needed and most of what I wanted. I wanted a pure performance car, but needed to improve winter safety, all day comfort, and not break the bank.
Oh trust me i'm sure the waiting will drive me nuts, especially near the last week.
But all in all i supose 6 weeks isn't -that- long of a wait though

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
IMHO the 316 is abit under powered. Any chance you'll be able to squeeze out abit more mula for a 320?
I'm hoping it'll be enough, consodering i've never had anything with more then 90 bhp and unfortunately i'm already at my budget limit now so i dont think the 320d is an option.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Ya it will definitely put a smile on your face the fact that its a bump up in power. It will be the beginning.... Next you'll want a 335.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
KK328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328 gracier silver

I'm sure you will be happy with car... Congratulations n welcome to the club
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
2insane
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Ya it will definitely put a smile on your face the fact that its a bump up in power. It will be the beginning.... Next you'll want a 335.
Thanks and perhaps yeah :P maybe some day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK328 View Post
I'm sure you will be happy with car... Congratulations n welcome to the club
Thanks! Glad to be a part of it
Appreciate 0