F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone cross-shop a VW CC?
proTUNING Freaks

09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Anyone cross-shop a VW CC?

Come springtime I may willingly take the hit on my car to get into something with a bit more panache. I've always had rear wheel drive cars up until my current one, though living in MN it's not exactly a crime to have FWD for the nasty winters. Truthfully I have a second summer toy that is RWD when I want to have more fun and I just putter around town in my daily driver, so in reality it makes no difference if my daily is RWD/FWD/AWD, though I've got a soft spot for RWD.

But keeping the above in mind, I'd be looking at either a '14 auto 320i (probably the RWD version instead of X-drive) with sport/lighting/moonroof/heated seats, or a CC R-line. Most people have never even seen a CC, and though it is FWD, it makes for a nice cruiser. I've driven a CC, but not a 320i. CC has 200 hp, but I imagine might be a little bit bigger than the 320i. CC R-lines sticker at $35k but can be had all day at $30k and 0% interest, compared to the 320i which stickers around $37k-$38k and I can probably only get $2000 off, and no 0%.

End of the day, I'd be looking for something a bit more fun and a bit more stylish than my current car. Great little car, but just not really my style compared to previous cars I've owned (including an E30 coupe and an E36 sedan).

So did anyone cross-shop a CC and what made you decide to go with the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I considered a CC and would have looked harder had I not been able to get a good price on a 328i Sport Line. The BMW is sportier and has RWD. Also, a CC Sport has a pretty basic interior and I prefer leather which moves you to the over $36K base Executive. This is pricey for a 2.0l with only 200 HP and FWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Come springtime I may willingly take the hit on my car to get into something with a bit more panache. I've always had rear wheel drive cars up until my current one, though living in MN it's not exactly a crime to have FWD for the nasty winters. Truthfully I have a second summer toy that is RWD when I want to have more fun and I just putter around town in my daily driver, so in reality it makes no difference if my daily is RWD/FWD/AWD, though I've got a soft spot for RWD.

But keeping the above in mind, I'd be looking at either a '14 auto 320i (probably the RWD version instead of X-drive) with sport/lighting/moonroof/heated seats, or a CC R-line. Most people have never even seen a CC, and though it is FWD, it makes for a nice cruiser. I've driven a CC, but not a 320i. CC has 200 hp, but I imagine might be a little bit bigger than the 320i. CC R-lines sticker at $35k but can be had all day at $30k and 0% interest, compared to the 320i which stickers around $37k-$38k and I can probably only get $2000 off, and no 0%.

End of the day, I'd be looking for something a bit more fun and a bit more stylish than my current car. Great little car, but just not really my style compared to previous cars I've owned (including an E30 coupe and an E36 sedan).

I ditched my CC for the 328.

I loved the CC. Would have kept it had it not become unreliable.

But it is a FWD car and handles accordingly. Compared to other FWD midsize sedans the CC is great and a lot of bang for the buck if bought well below MSRP. But it is no sports sedan.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

If you're going to buy a VW, there's no excuse not to get a GTI (or a Golf R if you can afford one).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Never even thought to look at VW. Just not my thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
Never even thought to look at VW. Just not my thing.
Never had so many compliments on a SEDAN before. Interior seemed out of a much more expensive car(I got mine with a $29k sticker for $23,500 new in '09).

It was also transformed with an APR stage 2 tune, high 13/low 14 second car that got 400-450 weekly/600+ highway miles on a tank.

But VW reliability chimed in.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
I test drove one back in 2011. (And a GTI.) It was full of meh. The GTI was a lot more exciting to drive than the CC. (But tragically FWD.) The 2013 328i I ended up with is the superior car of the three IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I test drove one back in 2011. (And a GTI.) It was full of meh. The GTI was a lot more exciting to drive than the CC. (But tragically FWD.) The 2013 328i I ended up with is the superior car of the three IMO.
The thing that made you go MEH compared to the GTI was handling.

It has the same drivetrain, and a 6mt CC weighted 3300lbs, the same as a GLI and 110lbs more than a GTI. The handling though needed work. Mine had 19's, summer tires, and Eibach springs. It was much better after that. I felt the GTI was not grown up enough to be my 2nd car lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
If you're going to buy a VW, there's no excuse not to get a GTI (or a Golf R if you can afford one).
Yeah there is. How bout if your're not a high school senior with a lip piercing who wears skater clothes? No respectful adult around here drives a GTI.

The CC, however, is one of the most beautiful looking cars you can buy under $40K. They're great all around.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Yeah there is. How bout if your're not a high school senior with a lip piercing who wears skater clothes? No respectful adult around here drives a GTI.

The CC, however, is one of the most beautiful looking cars you can buy under $40K. They're great all around.
This.

When I got my first big boy job, the president of the company was a big car guy(LP640, Phantom, NSX, S65, Ghost in his stable) and had a boner for the fact that I had car design experience, wanted to pass anything he did with cars by me first.

We went to lunch in the CC and he could not believe I bought the car for $23k. When he would have meetings, he would introduce me and have people look at the car and brag about the interior and the lines of the car.

In '09, they had no badging and I had people in very nice cars ask me to roll down my window and ask what kind of car it was. A year later, they were all over NY/NJ.

Not something that happens with a midsize sedan for under $40k

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Quote:

That's pretty hateful.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

FWD was a non starter for me. If I were to get a FWD family car I would look hard at the 3.5L Camry. Not an exciting choice to talk about but the motor has got some power!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

My wife's Eos was single handedly the worst ownership experience I've ever had, both with the car and multiple dealers. Lemon of a car, no backing by VW, terrible treatment by the dealerships (the dealer we purchased the car from literally told us never to come back), so I would never give VW a red cent again despite them making nice looking, nice driving, painfully unreliable products.
      09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

Quote:

You must be an idiot. I am in my 40s, have a graduate degree, and have owned a lot of cars, including a Mercedes CLK 430, an BMW M3, and an Audi S4. Before buying my F30, I owned a Mark VI GTI along with an SUV to haul the kids. It was an awesome little car that did a lot of things very well. Oddly, I never felt the urge to pierce my lip or wear skater clothes while driving it.
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
You must be an idiot. I am in my 40s, have a graduate degree, and have owned a lot of cars, including a Mercedes CLK 430, an BMW M3, and an Audi S4. Before buying my F30, I owned a Mark VI GTI along with an SUV to haul the kids. It was an awesome little car that did a lot of things very well. Oddly, I never felt the urge to pierce my lip or wear skater clothes while driving it.
No...not an idiot. I also have a graduate degree, and I'm willing to bet from a more prestigious institution. Apparently a certain level of sarcastic humor goes above your head. Studies have shown that IQ and ability to grasp sacasm have a direct positive correlation.

It doesn't change the fact that GTIs and any "hot-hatch" are kid's cars. It's ok, though...I'm sure you looked really cool in your GTI.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
The 328i is a great car, but at 29 years old with an engineering income (and dual income with no kids, actually), I just can't justify a car that expensive once I put the options on it that I would require. As for the GTI, I just can't seem to get excited about it.

Quote:

Maybe a bit harsh on the GTI, but I would have to agree that it's not really the image I'm trying to portray, working downtown in a consulting firm. Not that anyone at work cares or even sees that much, but I kind of would like to go more for the young professional look.

The CC underwent a very nice exterior facelift for 2013, I personally strongly prefer the '13+ compared to the '09-'12, couple pics of the '13 R-line for reference:

Really a stunning car and probably one of the best looking sedans rolling around at that price point. My Jetta has been flawless through 11k miles, as has my wife's '12 Beetle, though I know better than to keep any German car (VW, BMW, or other) much beyond its warranty period. Truthfully I'd like a coupe since I've always been a coupe person, so I'll be looking at the 2-series when it drops, but I'll also look at the new A3. 2-series pricing will determine a lot.

I also see a lot of hate for the 320i here, that it's a poser car for those who just want a badge, but in a case like mine I'm just looking for a nice car to putter around in, and lest we not forget the 180 hp is more than both my old E30 and E36; maybe a stretch, but I think it goes back a little bit to BMW's more humble beginnings. It wasn't long ago when a 328i didn't make much more power than today's 320i.

So I'm not sure where I'll end up landing, but the price of the 320i in comparison to what I feel is the better looking CC will probably be slightly off-putting. I'd be equally happy with either, but the CC has more panache and curb appeal and will end up being a good $5-$7k cheaper.

I'd like to hear more though on either the CC or the 320i, didn't expect to hear as many people had cross-shopped the CC. Can't find as many opinions on the 320i as I'd like, as most here have the 328/335.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really a stunning car and probably one of the best looking sedans rolling around at that price point. My Jetta has been flawless through 11k miles, as has my wife's '12 Beetle, though I know better than to keep any German car (VW, BMW, or other) much beyond its warranty period. Truthfully I'd like a coupe since I've always been a coupe person, so I'll be looking at the 2-series when it drops, but I'll also look at the new A3. 2-series pricing will determine a lot.

I also see a lot of hate for the 320i here, that it's a poser car for those who just want a badge, but in a case like mine I'm just looking for a nice car to putter around in, and lest we not forget the 180 hp is more than both my old E30 and E36; maybe a stretch, but I think it goes back a little bit to BMW's more humble beginnings. It wasn't long ago when a 328i didn't make much more power than today's 320i.

So I'm not sure where I'll end up landing, but the price of the 320i in comparison to what I feel is the better looking CC will probably be slightly off-putting. I'd be equally happy with either, but the CC has more panache and curb appeal and will end up being a good $5-$7k cheaper.

I'd like to hear more though on either the CC or the 320i, didn't expect to hear as many people had cross-shopped the CC. Can't find as many opinions on the 320i as I'd like, as most here have the 328/335.

That's the thing.

Reliability was an issue way before it should have been.

39k needed a waterpump and intake manifold-would have been right of the warranty period had I not had the car CPO'd when I switched out my lease to a finance.

From there, it was coil packs.

If it had been a fluke, just me-I could see still loving the car and buying a '13. But the intake manifold and waterpump was quite common and many people had more than 1 of each done during a 60k mile period, huge 40 page threads on it found on Vortex.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
hmc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i ZSP+ZMT

I traded in 2007 550i (Sport+6MT) for a 2013 320i.

To me, it's a matter of driving fun and fuel economy from a 4-door sedan. 550i has more sophisticated setup such as active roll stabilization, etc and obviously has much more power.

But you cannot deny physics. 550i is very very capable, it can make nice turns but you still somehow feel the weight and size. You get the feeling that the car manages the weight (very well) for you. On the other hand, 320i is much lighter, and you feel the sportiness very naturally. My Miata is the extreme case on this - simple and fun.

It really depnds on what you want...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc View Post
I traded in 2007 550i (Sport+6MT) for a 2013 320i.

To me, it's a matter of driving fun and fuel economy from a 4-door sedan. 550i has more sophisticated setup such as active roll stabilization, etc and obviously has much more power.

But you cannot deny physics. 550i is very very capable, it can make nice turns but you still somehow feel the weight and size. You get the feeling that the car manages the weight (very well) for you. On the other hand, 320i is much lighter, and you feel the sportiness very naturally. My Miata is the extreme case on this - simple and fun.

It really depnds on what you want...
CC and 320 weight about the same.

It's about feel.

Fling a Sport RWD 320 into a corner and then fling a Sport/R-Line CC into a corner, feels very different. But I would still take a FWD 6mt CC over an Xdrive 320

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Calm down buddy.

I owned a GTI once. I loved it. Hatchback practicality, I could squeeze 4 people in it (5 door), nimble, no reason why I wouldn't like it.

As for not being mature, well, I assure you there are idiots in Porsche 991's ("respectful" car) that drive like jackasses.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Calm down buddy.

I owned a GTI once. I loved it. Hatchback practicality, I could squeeze 4 people in it (5 door), nimble, no reason why I wouldn't like it.

As for not being mature, well, I assure you there are idiots in Porsche 991's ("respectful" car) that drive like jackasses.
The new MK7 GTI sounds so good, if they can make it reliable-might be replacing my 328 lol. BMW has only a couple of chances of keeping me, the M235 Gran Coupe and or the F80 M3. Either of those cars suck or not offer a manual, I might have to go back to Audi/VW.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
+1
Appreciate 0