F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone cross-shop a VW CC?
ARMA SPEED

09-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
hmc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i ZSP+ZMT

I personally do not consider FWD cars. That's a big deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

That first pic of the silver CC shows how beautiful the car is.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
No...not an idiot. I also have a graduate degree, and I'm willing to bet from a more prestigious institution. Apparently a certain level of sarcastic humor goes above your head. Studies have shown that IQ and ability to grasp sacasm have a direct positive correlation.

It doesn't change the fact that GTIs and any "hot-hatch" are kid's cars. It's ok, though...I'm sure you looked really cool in your GTI.
I did consider the possibility you were aiming for sarcasm but simply missed the mark. Then I read your response. Not only do you seek to put down those who have owned a GTI after high school and then feign sarcasm when called out on it, you feel the need to tell us all you went to a "prestigious institution." What is next? The size of your bank account? I bet you might lose that one. You are obviously overcompensating for something else in life. Now why don't you get some help or, at a minimum, move along and troll somewhere else.

Getting back to the OP...I don't think you can go wrong with a CC or an F30. I ultimately returned to BMW because I miss RWD. In my opinion, the CC is the better value if you are OK with FWD. However, I would give the nod to the BMW if you are more interested in more "panache" or even pure driving enjoyment. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
The 328i is a great car, but at 29 years old with an engineering income (and dual income with no kids, actually), I just can't justify a car that expensive once I put the options on it that I would require.
A few years ago I got a new stripped down E90 328 with xenons and sport package as only options. Negotiated it down to $35k purchase price, if I recall correctly.

Ton of fun to drive around in and definitely worth it for me to forgo power seats, navi, etc to get the text book RWD handling and 6MT in a 4 door package.

Guess it just depends on what you prioritize.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

The CC is a very nice sedan for the money, but growing up poor and living with old beat up VW Beatles from the early 70's anything with a VW icon brings back memories of seeing through the rusted floor boards and eating food that was packaged in a white box with black printed labels.

If in the $30k range I like the new Accord in Sport model.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #28
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
A few years ago I got a new stripped down E90 328 with xenons and sport package as only options. Negotiated it down to $35k purchase price, if I recall correctly.

Ton of fun to drive around in and definitely worth it for me to forgo power seats, navi, etc to get the text book RWD handling and 6MT in a 4 door package.

Guess it just depends on what you prioritize.
Funny you mention that as those are the two packages I absolutely would not do without; IMO it's a crime to sell any luxury car from any make without HIDs standard in this day and age. 15 years ago I would've thought for sure those would be standard across the board for luxury makes by now. I never would've thought we'd see $50k+ cars with halogens, but that's an aside.

One thing that sucks about features is that once you have them, it's tough to lose them. My little $26k Jetta has keyless access w/pushbutton start, heated power sport seats (same seats in the GLI), nav, 400W 8 speaker Fender stereo w/subwoofer, bluetooth, iPod cable, sunroof, etc. etc. If I were to get either a 320i or a CC, I'd be giving up several features (though gaining others like xenons and dual zone climate control), but I think certain features I could do without.

I am hesitant to go back to BMW though, my E36 was hands down the biggest mechanical asshole I ever owned, and it was mint and I had service records from day one and maintained it impeccably. After four years though I got tired of spending $1,000 every month in straight up repairs. But in fairness the car was used when I got it, so hoping a new one proves better, should I go that route.

I'm curious to know how the 320i's power band is, particularly the torque curve. Does peak torque come on down low and stay pretty steady throughout the powerband or do I have to rev it to 3500 rpms to get moving?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc View Post
This says it all, succinctly.

Is the CC a nice looking car? Yep.

Is it as fun to drive as F30? Probably not.

Will people judge you based on what you drive (whether an F30, CC, GTI)? Absolutely.

All you can do is pick the car that works best for you.

The REAL question is: where did you go to grad school???
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Quote:
Funny you mention that as those are the two packages I absolutely would not do without; IMO it's a crime to sell any luxury car from any make without HIDs standard in this day and age. 15 years ago I would've thought for sure those would be standard across the board for luxury makes by now. I never would've thought we'd see $50k+ cars with halogens, but that's an aside.

One thing that sucks about features is that once you have them, it's tough to lose them. My little $26k Jetta has keyless access w/pushbutton start, heated power sport seats (same seats in the GLI), nav, 400W 8 speaker Fender stereo w/subwoofer, bluetooth, iPod cable, sunroof, etc. etc. If I were to get either a 320i or a CC, I'd be giving up several features (though gaining others like xenons and dual zone climate control), but I think certain features I could do without.

I am hesitant to go back to BMW though, my E36 was hands down the biggest mechanical asshole I ever owned, and it was mint and I had service records from day one and maintained it impeccably. After four years though I got tired of spending $1,000 every month in straight up repairs. But in fairness the car was used when I got it, so hoping a new one proves better, should I go that route.

I'm curious to know how the 320i's power band is, particularly the torque curve. Does peak torque come on down low and stay pretty steady throughout the powerband or do I have to rev it to 3500 rpms to get moving?
What is it you want in a car?

The CC and the F30 aren't really comparable, so this whole thread is curious to me. I can understand cross-shopping CC/Camry/Accord, but not CC/F30. For one, the cost is not similar, and the FWD/RWD disparity is hard to ignore.

If you want a better-than-average looking midsize sedan, get the CC. Personally it's no more interesting to me than an Accord, but that's just me. (For the record, I think you could do much worse than a CC or an Accord; I'd chose the Accord though.)

If you want a more fun-to-drive car and are willing to spring for a bit more $$, get an F30 (or an A3... or an A4!).

If you want to look like a degenerate youth who has multiple body piercings, get a GTI.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Honestly, if you're really considering the CC, then I doubt the 320i will do it for you. The point being you'd like a nice car (looking/interior) that has all the creature comforts but doesn't break the bank. The 3er is on another level in terms of handling/driving dynamics, but you'll pay a lot for simple bells + whistles, the kinds that you can get on a 19k fiesta. Simply put - get the F30 if you're willing to sacrifice your comfort access, backup camera and fancy nav for a great handling sport sedan.

Since it sounds like you want those comforts, I'd probably also go check out the Mazda 6, Accord, Fusion and probably S60. Those all are relatively decent driving cars and will come with the same features as the 50k F30 for 35k. None will have the powertrain nor handling, but you won't really care as long as the throttle is less than 20% down 90% of the time.

Debating German OEM reliability is a waste of time...they're all overly complex, require expensive maintenance/repairs and German companies in general over-engineer things. I personally think VW's are really nice relative to other cars within a given class, and I think the GTI kicks ass and would be plenty proud to be seen in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #32
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

I realiy like the CC the only bad thing I can say about it is. The CC is a better deal in lower trims than higher ones. Also there are more luxury options on the passat. The passat is the best bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #33
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
If you're going to buy a VW, there's no excuse not to get a GTI (or a Golf R if you can afford one).

Aaaaaand +1.

Not to derail the thread (but I will proceed to do so anyway), how about the all new GTI MK7, early 2014? Lots of promise.

Pretty sure this will replace my Mazda 3 as a DD. And I can't wait.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there is. How bout if your're not a high school senior with a lip piercing who wears skater clothes? No respectful *HUGELY INSECURE ADULT* around here drives a GTI.

Fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #35
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
You must be an idiot. I am in my 40s, have a graduate degree, and have owned a lot of cars, including a Mercedes CLK 430, an BMW M3, and an Audi S4. Before buying my F30, I owned a Mark VI GTI along with an SUV to haul the kids. It was an awesome little car that did a lot of things very well. Oddly, I never felt the urge to pierce my lip or wear skater clothes while driving it.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No...not an idiot. I also have a graduate degree, and I'm willing to bet from a more prestigious institution.

Gosh darn it, is that you insecurity? We were not expecting you so soon.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #37
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc View Post

Aaaah ... California. Sunshine for everyone!

If I lived there I would have the luxury to be in that position too, but you know. We have ice, snow and rain here too and RWD cars tend to get testy when presented with these conditions. But I respect your position and feel jealous that you can have that.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #38
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

BTW, love, love, LOVE the CC design. Don't know anything else about the car. If I'm not mistaken here, I think the CC was solely responsible for triggering this massive onslaught of 4 door coupe designs, no?

All followed. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, ...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
BTW, love, love, LOVE the CC design. Don't know anything else about the car. If I'm not mistaken here, I think the CC was solely responsible for triggering this massive onslaught of 4 door coupe designs, no?

All followed. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, ...
Pretty sure the Mercedes-Benz CLS started this all. CC was sold starting 2008, while the CLS was in 2004 I think (according to wiki).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Aaaaaand +1.

Not to derail the thread (but I will proceed to do so anyway), how about the all new GTI MK7, early 2014? Lots of promise.

Pretty sure this will replace my Mazda 3 as a DD. And I can't wait.

I don't think the MK7 GTI will get to the US that quickly. It looks like next summer from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

I just went from a 2008 550i 6mt sport to a 335i m-sport. However, it was a long road of choosing what I wanted before deciding on the 335.

I debated on the 328i and CC, as well. I'm a VW fan, as well as BMW. Unlike some on here, I've never had issues with any VW I've owned (I know this is a bit uncommon). I've owned 6 VWs (mix of Jettas and Passats), and my wife currently drives a Touareg TDI (we love this car!). My new 335 is my 6th BMW, and I love it, so far.

You mentioned that you currently have a RWD weekend-type car, for fun. I guess what I would ask is what is your daily commute like - do you have a lot of twisties/back roads? Or, more highway/straight roads? Do you find yourself trying to make your current Jetta handle as well as a BMW? Or, do you drive it along wanting a nicer car?

For me, I have twisties/back roads for my daily commute with some highway. So, I felt the CC would not satisfy me enough on a daily basis. Although, the car is beautiful both inside and out. But, in the end, it is not RWD.

To me, it would depend on how I plan on driving it on a daily basis, and what I want out of it. Of course, creature comforts provided by the CC are nice. And, again, you'll need to decide what's more important on a daily basis - options or RWD.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #42
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
The 328i is a great car, but at 29 years old with an engineering income (and dual income with no kids, actually), I just can't justify a car that expensive once I put the options on it that I would require. As for the GTI, I just can't seem to get excited about it.
When I have a choice between something I can afford but is less than what I really want, and something I can't afford but I really desire it - my choice usually is to not spend any money at all. I've found I'm often able to save up the extra money and get what I really want after all, just at a later date.

For what it's worth, BMW Motorweks in Bloomington has 56 used F30s for sale. The cheapest is $31,879. Seven of them are RWD 328is. I don't think any are Sport or M Sport Lines, unfortunately. If you decide to test drive some, be sure to include one with DHP.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

BMW, of course.

Sport package (which you already listed) is a must for 320i
Install the exhaust tip from 328
JB1

CC is a nice looking car but BMW is in a different class in terms of everything
      09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

I hear you on the reliability concerns. That's why I am currently leasing. There are some crazy deals to be had on the F30.

Re the features, that's for you to answer. I would give up all of the things you mentioned to get RWD excellence to avoid the feeling of fail that comes from trying for a fast corner exit in FWD car with no mechanical LSD.
Appreciate 0