F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Changing alloys on an f30 320d efficientdynamics from 16" to 19"
GetBMWParts

09-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Beeman
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d ED

Changing alloys on an f30 320d efficientdynamics from 16" to 19"

Just got myself a new 320d efficientdynamics and I want to replace the stock 16" wheels with 19" wheels I know one or two people posted something similar just wondering if there are any issues to be aware of please and also any advise would be welcomed thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

With the shorter sidewalls ride will be stiffer and both tires and wheels will be more vulnerable to road hazard damage. Aside from looks there really are no advantages to the larger wheel.
Appreciate 1
Beeman6.00
      09-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
With the shorter sidewalls ride will be stiffer and both tires and wheels will be more vulnerable to road hazard damage. Aside from looks there really are no advantages to the larger wheel.
Thank you yes I wanted to change it purely got aesthetic purpose just wondered if that would be an issue as I read previously a few people saying after 70 miles an hour their car started to vibrate!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If the wheels and tires are good quality and correctly balanced they wouldn't cause vibration.
Appreciate 1
Beeman6.00
      09-25-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
If the wheels and tires are good quality and correctly balanced they wouldn't cause vibration.
Thanks mate my mind is at ease now good to know I didn't have to make do with the 16" wheel as they were horrendous!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:08 AM   #6
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Why not consider 18” alloys, would mean that there would be a bit more sidewalk. My car has 19” and overall I find the car very fidgety on the roads where every single piece of the road can be felt.
Appreciate 1
Beeman6.00
      09-25-2018, 04:15 AM   #7
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Why not consider 18” alloys, would mean that there would be a bit more sidewalk. My car has 19” and overall I find the car very fidgety on the roads where every single piece of the road can be felt.
In all honesty I have been thinking 18" what tyre combination i.e. tyre size and type would you recommend please!?

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
Beeman
Rep

Sorry if am asking too many questions this is my first project with a car, am excited and yet anxious to make sure I get it right between aesthetics and comfort !!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
Sorry if am asking too many questions this is my first project with a car, am excited and yet anxious to make sure I get it right between aesthetics and comfort !!
Every inch up in size leaves comfort behind for the sake of aesthetics. At the car company from which I retired (not BMW), the saying was, "Designers love big wheels. Engineers don't." Larger wheels typically are heavier, which also means drag on acceleration, harder for the brakes to slow down, and loss of fuel efficiency. The amount of these changes depends on the larger wheel weight selected.

Some of your decision depends on an honest assessment of the roads in your area. When I got my 2 Series, with Track Handling Package and 18" wheels, I changed them for 17" purely based on our poor road quality, but chose BBS SR for a great appearance. Consider that style may be as important or moreso than pure size for aesthetics. If economics are at all a consideration, larger size tires (although you are aiming for the same overall circumference) do cost quite a bit more too. I'd never do what you are considering, but I tilt my balance to dynamics/performance more than pure looks.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Beeman6.00
      09-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Every inch up in size leaves comfort behind for the sake of aesthetics. At the car company from which I retired (not BMW), the saying was, "Designers love big wheels. Engineers don't." Larger wheels typically are heavier, which also means drag on acceleration, harder for the brakes to slow down, and loss of fuel efficiency. The amount of these changes depends on the larger wheel weight selected.

Some of your decision depends on an honest assessment of the roads in your area. When I got my 2 Series, with Track Handling Package and 18" wheels, I changed them for 17" purely based on our poor road quality, but chose BBS SR for a great appearance. Consider that style may be as important or moreso than pure size for aesthetics. If economics are at all a consideration, larger size tires (although you are aiming for the same overall circumference) do cost quite a bit more too. I'd never do what you are considering, but I tilt my balance to dynamics/performance more than pure looks.
Thank you sportstick!

I will now consider 18" instead of 19", should I stay away from run flats or are they ok? Also to note I won't be driving the car everyday as I get the train to work it would usually get driven short distances and weekends! What type of tyres should I consider for the 18"s and should it be staggered or square!?

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sportstick!

I will now consider 18" instead of 19", should I stay away from run flats or are they ok? Also to note I won't be driving the car everyday as I get the train to work it would usually get driven short distances and weekends! What type of tyres should I consider for the 18"s and should it be staggered or square!?

Kind regards
For your purposes and realizing economics are not limitless, I'd go square. You won't realize the value of staggered, short of a track, and it costs more and prevents rotating tire positions. I suggest one of two tires, usually regarded as top of their class. For more comfort/quiet but still a great performer, Continental DWS 06. If you want to be a bit more spirited, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. These are both excellent products in the Ultra High Performance All Season category (don't be put off by the Ultra name....it's marketing...they are great all around tires for daily usage). They will handle all temperatures (unlike Summer only tires, limited to 45 degrees F or higher), but can only handle light snow. In London, as I understand, that should not be a concern? If you are very strongly a ride comfort person versus performance (which would have made the BMW an unlikely choice, I realize), I'd change the tire category to Grand Touring All Season and choose Michelin Cross Climate+ .
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you sportstick!

Kind regards
For your purposes and realizing economics are not limitless, I'd go square. You won't realize the value of staggered, short of a track, and it costs more and prevents rotating tire positions. I suggest one of two tires, usually regarded as top of their class. For more comfort/quiet but still a great performer, Continental DWS 06. If you want to be a bit more spirited, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. These are both excellent products in the Ultra High Performance All Season category (don't be put off by the Ultra name....it's marketing...they are great all around tires for daily usage). They will handle all temperatures (unlike Summer only tires, limited to 45 degrees F or higher), but can only handle light snow. In London, as I understand, that should not be a concern? If you are very strongly a ride comfort person versus performance (which would have made the BMW an unlikely choice, I realize), I'd change the tire category to Grand Touring All Season and choose Michelin Cross Climate+ .
Man your a life saver thank you much appreciated.

Yes I live in London as much I would like to claim am a crazy driver, I certainly aren't I have my two kids sitting behind me I would say I enjoy a good drive than an aggressive one but I do love a balanced car.

One more question if you don't mind please size wise what would you recommend 245/40 18" or 255/45 18"s or is there another you would recommend I have settled for 18" alloys so what tyre size would give me a good balance of sporty and comfort or if push comes to shove lean slightly towards sporty!?

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The tire width (the first number, for instance 255) should remain the same as stock unless you have a specific need for it to be wider, say for track use, or narrower, say for a dedicated winter tire. The aspect ratio you want (the second number) is the one that gives the same tire diameter as stock. Every tire manufacturer lists the diameter for every size they make.
Appreciate 1
Beeman6.00
      09-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Man your a life saver thank you much appreciated.

Yes I leave in London as much I would like to claim am a crazy driver, I certainly aren't I have my two kids sitting behind me I would say I enjoy a good drive than an aggressive one but I do love a balanced car.

One more question if you don't mind please size wise what would you recommend 245/40 18" or 255/45 18"s or is there another you would recommend I have settled for 18" alloys so what tyre size would give me a good balance of sporty and comfort or if push comes to shove lean slightly towards sporty!?

Kind regards
Based on your original spec I found on the BMW UK website of 205/60-16 as equipped, the proper 18" replacement size is 245/40-18. That has a 0.12% difference in diameter which is esssentially none...one fewer rev of the tire per mile. The limit is usually 3%. You'll need rims between 8-9.5 inches wide to fit. I'd favor a narrower wheel that fits the tire to keep weight down. I don't know the 3 Series wheel offsets and tire envelope, so perhaps someone else can chime in here on wheel specs and confirm a 245 fits in the front without rubbing. The widest I see on the website is a 225.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The tire width (the first number, for instance 255) should remain the same as stock unless you have a specific need for it to be wider, say for track use, or narrower, say for a dedicated winter tire.
His car was OE 205, so I can understand the desire for something more, even at the cost of low rolling resistance efficiency he originally purchased.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
Beeman
Rep

The OE is embarrassing to say the least I know it's there for a reason but my God does it look awful, thanks guys I was already looking 245/45s so might just do those.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was already looking 245/45s so might just do those.
Don't do those....45 series is too tall and almost 4% off the original spec which you need to follow for overall dimension. 245/40 is the proper size, if it fits the wheel well for width.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
The tire width (the first number, for instance 255) should remain the same as stock unless you have a specific need for it to be wider, say for track use, or narrower, say for a dedicated winter tire. The aspect ratio you want (the second number) is the one that gives the same tire diameter as stock. Every tire manufacturer lists the diameter for every size they make.
Thank you billfitz, noted.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was already looking 245/45s so might just do those.
Don't do those....45 series is too tall and almost 4% off the original spec which you need to follow for overall dimension. 245/40 is the proper size, if it fits the wheel well for width.
Phew!! Thanks sportstick, duly noted!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
His car was OE 205, so I can understand the desire for something more, even at the cost of low rolling resistance efficiency he originally purchased.
I can see going a bit wider, but not wider than 225. That would allow him to stay with a higher aspect ratio, which is much more practical.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #21
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i will say without a doubt, my MP4S 19"s are WAY more comfortable than my stock runflat 18" Contis.

The statement of for every inch in wheel size up it gets more uncomfortable. That is simply not true. A lot of it comes down to the tires. I also have a lighter 19 than the 18s were making the car handle better.
      09-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #22
Beeman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
i will say without a doubt, my MP4S 19"s are WAY more comfortable than my stock runflat 18" Contis.

The statement of for every inch in wheel size up it gets more uncomfortable. That is simply not true. A lot of it comes down to the tires. I also have a lighter 19 than the 18s were making the car handle better.
Please do elaborate as that's now thrown a spanner into the works 😳I was hoping to stick down to 18"s so as not to get any rub from the wheel and get a balance within the car
Appreciate 0