F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 stage 2 issues
GetBMWParts

01-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #23
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58red View Post
Thank you guys for all the comments and feedback, hearing people say they’ve been experiencing the same problem, shows that maybe it’s just the map. I went ahead and bought some new tires and am getting them installed next week. If I still experience the problem then it’s definitely the map. And to the people saying I’m a bad driver you guys are just bored lmao.
NOT a BM3 issue. The issue is between steering wheel and seat (IE YOU!). You are obviously inexperienced with this level of power so do you and the rest of the world a favor and NEVER EVER EVER drive in sport+. Drive in comfort or sport so you have big brother looking out for the rest of the people around you.
Appreciate 1
Samir72433.00
      01-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #24
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

When I had my E90 N55 there was a table for altering traction control/dtc sensitivity. I don't know what tables are available to these tuners, but there is a chance to desensitize traction control. Sounds like that's what's happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #25
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the comments and feedback, hearing people say they’ve been experiencing the same problem, shows that maybe it’s just the map. I went ahead and bought some new tires and am getting them installed next week. If I still experience the problem then it’s definitely the map. And to the people saying I’m a bad driver you guys are just bored lmao.
I've noticed tc doesnt seem as active in comfort and sport modes. I thought I was crazy. wouldn't hurt to mention to ptf.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 04:01 AM   #26
r44
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Nothing to do with driver, experience or tyres.
With v2.1 map traction control cuts power and does not allow wheels to spin.
With v2.2 there's no traction control, revs jump to redline with wheelspin.
In comfort mode.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      01-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #27
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44 View Post
Nothing to do with driver, experience or tyres.
With v2.1 map traction control cuts power and does not allow wheels to spin.
With v2.2 there's no traction control, revs jump to redline with wheelspin.
In comfort mode.
Calling 100% BS to that. I'm running BM3 Stage2 maps, and there is traction control in sport mode. If I go to sport+ mode, I can make the tires spin all the time, as well as take the car sideways on demand. BM3 adds a lot more power, and the TC was designed for OEM limits.

I'm running winter tires right now, it's cold, the roads are slippery, and if what you said was true, the car would have been wrapped around a light pole weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #28
JezB58
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Are you running the new V2.2 map ?

Asking as it's weird why some of us are getting huge amounts of uncontrolled wheelspin and some are getting assist from TC.

I flashed back to the 2.1 map and although there is some wheelspin it is definitely being reigned in by the TC.

Am going to switch back to 2.2 to compare the difference
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #29
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The 2.2 map removes the 550NM torque limiter on the gear box which is allowing you to get the full power from the tune. If you did the xHP, you would have already overridden that limiter.

You can always spin the tires (even OEM mapping) if you spin up the revs fast (TC won't intervene) With that limiter gone, you aren't seeing the throttle cut when stepping on the has hard.
Appreciate 2
dmanb2b2123.00
johnung4525.00
      01-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #30
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
The 2.2 map removes the 550NM torque limiter on the gear box which is allowing you to get the full power from the tune. If you did the xHP, you would have already overridden that limiter.

You can always spin the tires (even OEM mapping) if you spin up the revs fast. With that limiter gone, you aren't seeing the throttle cut when stepping on the has hard.
So this should be interesting. If I understand you correctly, those of us on a 2.0 93 map WITH Stg 3 XHP (as an example), should see minimal change in drivability moving to the 2.2 update? I have to admit, I was thinking this is a driver issue as well, but seems like a lot of peeps are complaining about the update...so I'm just keeping things as is until there is more clarity on this. Having driven previous higher TQ vehicles with XHP, regardless of the limiter being lifted, it did not disable TC in comfort UNLESS the driver disabled it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #31
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
So this should be interesting. If I understand you correctly, those of us on a 2.0 93 map WITH Stg 3 XHP (as an example), should see minimal change in drivability moving to the 2.2 update? I have to admit, I was thinking this is a driver issue as well, but seems like a lot of peeps are complaining about the update...so I'm just keeping things as is until there is more clarity on this. Having driven previous higher TQ vehicles with XHP, regardless of the limiter being lifted, it did not disable TC in comfort UNLESS the driver disabled it.
Yes, that would be my understanding. I know there was a HUGE difference in power to the ground when I loaded xHP Stage3. First gear always found a little "lethargic" before, and I didn't realize how much power was being retarded.

The new 2.2 maps claims more boost (so more power). Roads are crap right now, so I cannot confirm or deny.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #32
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I just took the car out for a spin. TC is functional in comfort and sport (you can see the indicator light up on the dash). Stability control kicks in in comfort and sport when you take a corner fast on snow as well.

That being said, it "seemed" like TC didn't engage as much as I have remembered in the past.

Now I don't know if it's because traction is zero right now, and this map wants to spool really fast so I'm getting over limits that allow for TC to be inhibited, or if PTF have lowered the throttle/load limits so its not as invasive. That would be a question for them.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      01-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #33
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I have bootmod3 stage 2 tune 93 octane and added to my 440i yesterday it pulls hard but has traction problems, yesterday when entering the highway I spun out while hitting the gas and almost ruined my car. Thankfully there was grass near me. Is there a way to fix this, does my car need to get use to the tune? Any feedback is appreciated thank you
I've been reading this thread. It's not an issue for me since my 335i is an XDrive with an M Performance LSD. I did recently install xHP Stage3. It definitely removes torque limits that I didn't realize were there. Feels like the car got a big power bump.

I'm kinda surprised that no one has yet mentioned the option of going into the Map Config on Bootmod3 and adjusting the Boost By Gear (% Reduction) parameters. In the past some friends with RWD had talked about adjusting lower gears to get off the line without spinning their rear wheels. See photo from Bootmod3 config menu.

You didn't mention which tires you currently have. If they are stock runflats with 25k miles, they could definitely be shot and sliding all over the road. Most popular all seasons are Continental DWS06 PLUS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4. IMO Best summer tires are Michelin PS 4S.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wires1644.00
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-04-2022, 02:54 AM   #34
JezB58
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:

You can always spin the tires (even OEM mapping) if you spin up the revs fast (TC won't intervene) With that limiter gone, you aren't seeing the throttle cut when stepping on the has hard.
I am on XHP stage 2 and have been for some time so no torque limits on my car regardless of 2..1 Vs 2.2.
I'm just waiting for a suitably wet day to do some proper back to back tests to see if there really is a huge difference between v2.1 and V2.2
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #35
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezB58 View Post
I am on XHP stage 2 and have been for some time so no torque limits on my car regardless of 2..1 Vs 2.2.
I'm just waiting for a suitably wet day to do some proper back to back tests to see if there really is a huge difference between v2.1 and V2.2
There seems to be a lot more power in the 2.2 maps. I'm suspecting that's what people are experiencing.

When I went from Stage 1 to stage2 of the 2.1 maps, I had to "reprogram the brain" for manual mode. The car revs snapped up so fast that in sport mode it kept doing throttle cuts off the rev limiter before I pulled the shifter.

At the end of the day, the tune is adding a lot more power than the OEM car was initially designed around (including the safety features). The driver needs to be more in tune with the car and what it is doing, and less of a "punch the gas and the nannies will save me".

Going to Sport+ removes a lot more of that stability control and when coupling that with more power + inexperienced driver = trouble.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      01-06-2022, 06:12 AM   #36
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:

I have a manual transmission so no concern with transmission torque limits, and the car definitely spun sometimes 1st gear on stock turbo maps. I already had good summer tires, so i hooked 2nd gear and up pretty easily. It never spun to redline since I lifted and the car corrects itself very quickly.

I haven't tried the new maps but every time I hear this it's the same thing. Maybe post a log in comfort mode to show what you mean. When I'm spinning, I can see the vehicle speed/rpm spikes in my logs.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      01-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #37
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post

I have a manual transmission so no concern with transmission torque limits, and the car definitely spun sometimes 1st gear on stock turbo maps. I already had good summer tires, so i hooked 2nd gear and up pretty easily. It never spun to redline since I lifted and the car corrects itself very quickly.

I haven't tried the new maps but every time I hear this it's the same thing. Maybe post a log in comfort mode to show what you mean. When I'm spinning, I can see the vehicle speed/rpm spikes in my logs.
With the manual, you'd never experience the 1st gear power restriction. Even so, my experience is like yours. The tires might spin, but the car corrects itself quickly.

What I have seen with this map as well as pre-BM3, is light throttle acceleration on slippery surfaces engages the stability control and traction control (you get the lights on the dash). If you start getting into the petal and loading the car down, it allows you to bypass those limiters (to a point).
IE: I can stomp on the gas at a stop light on slippery roads, the tires will spin and I can feel the x-drive shuffling power between axles to keep things in line. At no time did it ever go to lethargic safety mode and do full throttle cuts.

The 2.2 maps do seem to bring a lot more midband torque to the table which is super fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #38
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
I just took the car out for a spin. TC is functional in comfort and sport (you can see the indicator light up on the dash). Stability control kicks in in comfort and sport when you take a corner fast on snow as well.

That being said, it "seemed" like TC didn't engage as much as I have remembered in the past.

Now I don't know if it's because traction is zero right now, and this map wants to spool really fast so I'm getting over limits that allow for TC to be inhibited, or if PTF have lowered the throttle/load limits so its not as invasive. That would be a question for them.

Yesterday did a quick comparison between Stage 2 91 V2.1 and V2.2. What I found was that on V2.2 the traction control still works but the intervention is much less than on V2.1. Meaning I got much more wheel spin with V2.2 than with V2.1 in the same situation. Only tested it in comfort with gearbox in S.
      01-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #39
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
Yesterday did a quick comparison between Stage 2 91 V2.1 and V2.2. What I found was that on V2.2 the traction control still works but the intervention is much less than on V2.1. Meaning I got much more wheel spin with V2.2 than with V2.1 in the same situation. Only tested it in comfort with gearbox in S.
Did you experience a lot more part throttle power in the 2.2? I was *thinking* the same as you, I just don't know if we are getting more torque down low, so we exceed the traction control levels faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #40
not1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I can basically drift in comfort on 2.2 now. It’s not really a problem since im used to high power cars, but TC is definitely more lenient than it was in the last version. Ive been on xhp st3 for a while now. Id recommend ptf developers put the training wheels back on in comfort otherwise i wont feel comfortable letting anyone else drive my car lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #41
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
I can basically drift in comfort on 2.2 now. It’s not really a problem since im used to high power cars, but TC is definitely more lenient than it was in the last version. Ive been on xhp st3 for a while now. Id recommend ptf developers put the training wheels back on in comfort otherwise i wont feel comfortable letting anyone else drive my car lol

Last sentence was funny. That's cool to know that you can do more in comfort with the v2.2 map but honestly they should add back the v2.1 (training wheels) for anyone who didn't previously copy them in their map storage.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #42
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire440i View Post

Last sentence was funny. That's cool to know that you can do more in comfort with the v2.2 map but honestly they should add back the v2.1 (training wheels) for anyone who didn't previously copy them in their map storage.
Yes! I’ve said it to them as well....give people the choice of either v 2.1 or v 2.2
Why not?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:40 AM   #43
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Did you experience a lot more part throttle power in the 2.2?
I don’t think so, however haven’t driven the 2.2 much yet.
Also PTF said they got rid of the boost spike which could explain why 2.2 feels less punchy/aggressive than 2.1 and that should help with traction. But we seem to have less traction so it’s more likely a TC issue?

When I have some time I will put xHP back on and do some more testing with 2.1 vs 2.2, because maybe the removal of that torque limiter in 2.2 has something to do with it?
      01-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #44
Honeybadger23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328i sportline

Quote:
2016 bmw 340i m sport
Stage 2 + 93 octane
XHP STAGE 3

I'm having the same issue.
I've added coilovers and Nitto nt05's
Did get better but still have issues in 1st and 2nd

I will be doing boost reduction in the first two gears.

I started at 15 % reduction and the wheels still lost traction.
In both 1st and 2nd

I will go up to 20% to see if it fixes my problem.
Appreciate 0