F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 v.2.2 - Traction Control Issues Thread
Studio RSR

01-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

BM3 v.2.2 - Traction Control Issues Thread

UPDATE 1/31/2022
BM3 took down the first 1/27 2.3 map and updated with an even better 2.3 map that does not explicitly state that it is addressing traction control. Highly recommend flashing to this latest 2.3, it is excellent.

UPDATE 1/27/2022
As of this morning, BM3 has published a V2.3 map that addresses the TC issues.

UPDATE 1/19/2022
PTF has been extremely responsive to me since I first noticed this issue. I am currently on my third test map provided by them and it 100% resolves the issue. They tell me they've been testing these test maps on their own cars this week, and user @JezB58 reports that when he opened a ticket on Monday, they told him they were aware of the issue and are actively working to publish an update to resolve it. I would advise anyone reading this thread to stay on 2.1 until they publish the updated map, because 2.2 is definitely pretty unsafe if you are expecting there to be traction control. I'll provide another update as soon as I know anything else.

There has been some discussion in two other threads here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1886658
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1883513

And also several threads on the Facebook Bm3 enthusiasts group concerning an apparent issue with traction control with the new v2.2 Bootmod3 tunes.

I'm creating this thread hopefully to consolidate those discussions into one focused place, since both of the other forum posts are a bit broader (and have a lot of people on the old tunes simply saying LMFAO LURN2DRIVE) so we can try to have a bit of an open conversation about the issue.

My experience
2018 440i Grand Coupe MPPSK M sport package, RWD. Stage 1 93 Oct
On 2.1, traction control just didn't allow wheel spin. If I was a little too spirited form a stop light in the rain the car just completely cut power. Frankly, I don't think it was even possible to chirp the tires; maybe a tiny squeak would escape before TC grabbed them. Both Sport and Comfort.

Sport+ was much more passive, but would still grab me eventually. I don't think it would have been possible to actually spin in Sport+. While it would allow for some wheel spin in a straight line, if I goosed it through a corner and the rear end really started to step out, the DSC would eventually grab me and cut at least enough power to reign it back in.

Now, I'm not sure TC is working at all. In comfort mode from a stop light I can give it about 60-70% gas and the tires just freely spin. Maybe I'll see the DSC light flash once or twice but so far, i have started to feel like I'm about to totally lose it long before I feel power cut. I'm not sure I've felt TC actually step in and cut power once since flashing to 2.2.
I can't really tell a difference in Sport+ because frankly I'm a little afraid to really sling it into a corner to see if it still grabs me like it used to.

Interested to hear any reports of other users. Especially curious if there is anyone on 2.2 who feels TC is still working properly. I'm working with BM3 right now to try to sort it out. Thankfully I still have my 2.1 so if I really start to feel unsafe I'll flash back.

Some facebook users are cutting 1st and 2nd gear boost by 20% or so and reporting that helps a lot, but to me, that sounds like you're just cutting the power to a point that there is no more wheelspin, not actually resolving the lack of TC.

Last edited by culpability; 02-02-2022 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
There has been some discussion in two other threads here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1886658

And also several threads on the Facebook Bm3 enthusiasts group concerning an apparent issue with traction control with the new v2.2 Bootmod3 tunes.

I'm creating this thread hopefully to consolidate those discussions into one focused place, since both of the other forum posts are a bit broader (and have a lot of people on the old tunes simply saying LMFAO LURN2DRIVE) so we can try to have a bit of an open conversation about the issue.

My experience
2018 440i Grand Coupe MPPSK M sport package, RWD.
On 2.1, traction control just didn't allow wheel spin. If I was a little too spirited form a stop light in the rain the car just completely cut power. Frankly, I don't think it was even possible to chirp the tires; maybe a tiny squeak would escape before TC grabbed them. Both Sport and Comfort.

Sport+ was much more passive, but would still grab me eventually. I don't think it would have been possible to actually spin in Sport+. While it would allow for some wheel spin in a straight line, if I goosed it through a corner and the rear end really started to step out, the DSC would eventually grab me and cut at least enough power to reign it back in.

Now, I'm not sure TC is working at all. In comfort mode from a stop light I can give it about 60-70% gas and the tires just freely spin. Maybe I'll see the DSC light flash once or twice but so far, i have started to feel like I'm about to totally lose it long before I feel power cut. I'm not sure I've felt TC actually step in and cut power once since flashing to 2.2.
I can't really tell a difference in Sport+ because frankly I'm a little afraid to really sling it into a corner to see if it still grabs me like it used to.

Interested to hear any reports of other users. Especially curious if there is anyone on 2.2 who feels TC is still working properly. I'm working with BM3 right now to try to sort it out. Thankfully I still have my 2.1 so if I really start to feel unsafe I'll flash back.

Some facebook users are cutting 1st and 2nd gear boost by 20% or so and reporting that helps a lot, but to me, that sounds like you're just cutting the power to a point that there is no more wheelspin, not actually resolving the lack of TC.
Definitely not going to v 2.2 maps.....although maybe the stage 1 93 v 2.2 doesn’t send car sideways? I just keep hearing it’s the stage 2 that is doing this....someone let me know on this.

I’m happy with 2.1 version of stage 1 93 for now. IF they adjust then I will consider. Last thing I need is spinning out bs....or having to partial throttle everywhere I go. Idk but it doesn’t seem they will resurrect the previous gen maps. They have to do something soon though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

I wonder if it's because TC would cut throttle and however its coded so throttle doesn't cut for the higher torque disables that?

FWIW, I have been running stage 2+ 93 2.2 for a week now, and I don't have the traction issues being reported. When I mash on the gas, I get some tire chirp but nothing of the effect some people have been reporting. And I am running snow tires at the moment. However, I haven't gone in a corner and mashed the gas like others have been doing either both when running 2.1 and 2.2.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
not1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I think the weirdest part of this whole ordeal is that PTF wont even acknowledge its happening.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      01-12-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I noticed it also in Comfort mode - but I will wait till I have summer tires on again in a couple months to decide for certain. It may be with the extra power the TC just doesn't seem as effective.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep

im running stage 2+ e30 v2.2 and i did notice the car go sideways a bit but i controlled it enough. even doing first to second to third pulls it wasnt that bad but i am running michelin pilot super sports so maybe thats helping me in terms of traction
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
I think the weirdest part of this whole ordeal is that PTF wont even acknowledge its happening.
No they won’t.......they just give you some robotic scripted answer for everything. I mean why give people who pay 6 bills the choice of last gen maps that had way less issues....Why would you do that? It might make people satisfied with their tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
GeneHackmanCrisis
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:

My experience
2018 440i Grand Coupe MPPSK M sport package, RWD.

Yes this v 2.2 stage 2 93 tune is completely out of whack.....it’s so dangerous and PTF has NOT acknowledged it all. Did the new guy there make these new maps? Or an intern? Wow.....I will go back to v 2.0 .....shame on them. Especially after we all put down $595
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:55 PM   #9
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Is it just me or is this not just because of more power? I am on 2.2 91 octane. When I ran 2.2 93 I definitely noticed more wheelspin but had too much timing corrections with my gas
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #10
lemonana
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i x328i Q7TDI

Got the same issue last week. First time in 50000km with comfort mode. almost wet my pants

Went back to previous version stage2 for now. safety above all else
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #11
lemonana
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i x328i Q7TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Is it just me or is this not just because of more power? I am on 2.2 91 octane. When I ran 2.2 93 I definitely noticed more wheelspin but had too much timing corrections with my gas
It's the new OTS map. went back to stage2 2.0 last night. then hit the street

everything works perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #12
culpability
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
I mean, in my opinion, having more power shouldn't really make the TC just.. stop working. With TC totally off these cars are always capable, even without a tune, of kicking traction.

The "problem" is more that if you are in comfort mode you should be able to expect TC to do what TC does, and stop you from spinning your tires wildly.

But, anyways, a few posters have been commenting they wonder if its only stg 2. Nah, I'm having this problem v 2.2 Stage 1 93 Oct (pretty sure op says that too).
      01-12-2022, 11:08 PM   #13
WeDclOwN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 m40

Same problem here I actually spun out in the rain thinking I had nannies on. Contacted ptf and they made me a test map for stage 2 2.2, it actually got a lot better, they asked me to log it, haven't done so but will work with them once the road clears of snow
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:24 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
Try posting any comments about version 2.2 in their Facebook group and they won't post it.

In Addition of the traction control issues this map has at least 3° less timing and half a pound more boost which usually isn't met … at least in my logins.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #15
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Try posting any comments about version 2.2 in their Facebook group and they won't post it.

In Addition of the traction control issues this map has at least 3° less timing and half a pound more boost which usually isn't met … at least in my logins.
That’s unbelievable that they aren’t letting in comments that have to do with losing control of their cars....is this Twitter now?
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      01-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #16
culpability
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update for anyone interested. I've been working with BM3 the last few days to try to get the issue resolved. Yesterday they got traction control working but the car felt much slower and I've got another one to test. So at least, if you are experiencing this problem, you can reach out to BM3 and get their usual strong support.

So at least to some extent I'm having better luck than some other users who have reported that BM3 just didn't help them out; that is definitely NOT my experience.
      01-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #17
WeDclOwN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 m40

Quote:
Just an update for anyone interested. I've been working with BM3 the last few days to try to get the issue resolved. Yesterday they got traction control working but the car felt much slower and I've got another one to test. So at least, if you are experiencing this problem, you can reach out to BM3 and get their usual strong support.

So at least to some extent I'm having better luck than some other users who have reported that BM3 just didn't help them out; that is definitely NOT my experience.
Car definitely slower with the test map they provided, tc also working as it 5 degrees outside right now, but I can't log for them because of the temperature. Please let us know what happens next
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #18
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Don’t really think THIS is a good solution....? TC back to operation as it was in previous gen maps BUT it’s a lot slower?!?! Sounds like a fail for now.....how about just tweaking map where TC is in effect to same degree as last gen maps and tweaking trq limitations.....I mean you could still have a faster map than previous gen as there has to be other parameters to work with. Overall a quick temp solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #19
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Did some more testing of Stage 2 91 V2.1 vs V2.2 yesterday:
F30 340i RWD ZF8HP
Stock intake
VRSF 200 cel downpipe
Dorch Stage 1
Pure 800
Remus Catback
OS Giken LSD
Winter tires
RON98 fuel
Slightly damp road surface
3-4 degrees C ambient temperature

Exiting the same roundabout in 2nd gear (comfort S2) at 2.5-3k rpm and then getting on the throttle before the car was moving in a straight line:
- On V2.2 I got a lot of wheelspin and had to counter steer because the back stepped out quite a bit. Traction control light was flashing but only very little intervention if any.
- On V2.1 I had (almost) no wheelspin, traction control light was flashing and I just accelerated away from the roundabout. No drama.

I also logged both events:
V2.2 https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61e2...90c66544f23141
V2.1 https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61e2...0b4350b26a2067

Just to show the big difference I made two screenshots of the logs with just Pedal, Boost, Engine speed, Gear and Vehicle speed selected.
First V2.2 then V2.1 and you can clearly see on V2.2 I got wheelspin almost instantly after I got on the throttle, which is not weird when you look at the much higher boost target most likely due to little tc intervention.
Attached Images

01-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #20
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
Did some more testing of Stage 2 91 V2.1 vs V2.2 yesterday:
F30 340i RWD ZF8HP
Stock intake
VRSF 200 cel downpipe
Dorch Stage 1
Pure 800
Remus Catback
OS Giken LSD
Winter tires
RON98 fuel
Slightly damp road surface
3-4 degrees C ambient temperature

Exiting the same roundabout in 2nd gear (comfort S2) at 2.5-3k rpm and then getting on the throttle before the car was moving in a straight line:
- On V2.2 I got a lot of wheelspin and had to counter steer because the back stepped out quite a bit. Traction control light was flashing but only very little intervention if any.
- On V2.1 I had (almost) no wheelspin, traction control light was flashing and I just accelerated away from the roundabout. No drama.

I also logged both events:
V2.2 https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61e2...90c66544f23141
V2.1 https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61e2...0b4350b26a2067

Just to show the big difference I made two screenshots of the logs with just Pedal, Boost, Engine speed, Gear and Vehicle speed selected.
First V2.2 then V2.1 and you can clearly see on V2.2 I got wheelspin almost instantly after I got on the throttle, which is not weird when you look at the much higher boost target most likely due to little tc intervention.
Well it is what it is then...I guess if you like stepping out sideways and you’re experienced with that type of driving then it’s great. I think though most people just like some excitement when driving and aren’t exactly ready to counter steer and do some Randy Pobst corrective stuff. Especially during winter!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
Well it is what it is then...I guess if you like stepping out sideways and you're experienced with that type of driving then it's great. I think though most people just like some excitement when driving and aren't exactly ready to counter steer and do some Randy Pobst corrective stuff. Especially during winter!
Agreed, I also switch back to V2.1 before the shit hits the fan…
I'm confident PTF will come up with a proper solution.
      01-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #22
JezB58
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Same issue here on my RWD 340i. Stage 2+ 93 V2.2.
Traction control making no attempt to reduce wheelspin.
Pulling out of junctions in cold and wet conditions I am getting huge wheelspin and car very sideways on light throttle in comfort mode.
Revs flare right through to redline with no intervention.
As this is happening at part throttle (I'm talking 50%) I doubt it's down to any torque/power gains over v2.1.
On the old maps the TC light would come on and power was cut if any wheelspin occurred.
I'm going to raise an issue with PTF, hopefully if enough of us do this they will be motivated to get a fix out quickly.
Appreciate 0