F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > EPS Coding
GetBMWParts

04-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #45
Dark_knight
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
The part number should be OK.
I found a website that said part number 6889109 could replace 6881034.
Ok I had another rack delivered, same 6889109 part number. I connected the new rack, and the behaviour was exactly like the replacement one on the car. So I very much doubt both racks are faulty. Additionally, when I connected the old rack - 'ReadECU' recognised the rack straight away and EPS was shown.

When the problem happened (due to water ingress) the steering intermittently failed... and today, an added bonus was that no faults were shown when the old rack was reconnected. Whereas normally, the DSC light and Steering lights are on the dash.

Tomorrow I will try ISTA initialisation... any guidance you can offer for a dummy like me would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #46
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_knight View Post

Tomorrow I will try ISTA initialisation... any guidance you can offer for a dummy like me would be really appreciated.
I am very sorry, but i think we've got a new problem.
I just checked my newest ISTA version (v4.22.13)and couldn't find the service function to initialize/teach the end stops of the EPS.
But i installed several versions of ISTA and i found this function in version 4.15.16 and 4.03.13.
The function can be found under Service functions -> Chassis and suspension -> Electromechanical power steering.
The problem is, i think you don't have such an older version?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #47
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am very sorry, but i think we've got a new problem.
I just checked my newest ISTA version (v4.22.13)and couldn't find the service function to initialize/teach the end stops of the EPS.
But i installed several versions of ISTA and i found this function in version 4.15.16 and 4.03.13.
The function can be found under Service functions -> Chassis and suspension -> Electromechanical power steering.
The problem is, i think you don't have such an older version?
Aha, well I have version 4.10 if that works?

I try to connect but I get this error - I'm trying to work out what is wrong... It does find my VIN and car details but when I click 'Set up connection' it shows the error.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #48
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Aha, well I have version 4.10 if that works?

I try to connect but I get this error - I'm trying to work out what is wrong... It does find my VIN and car details but when I click 'Set up connection' it shows the error.
OK I managed to get that sorted, and ISTA scans the car. I noticed a few things:

1) the EPS is red
2) the Service Function for steering is there (but no ABL things like yours?)
3) When connecting though, I do get an error as pictured.

When installing edibas - it did come up with an error for the port, so I'll uninstall everything and try again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #49
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
OK I managed to get that sorted, and ISTA scans the car. I noticed a few things:

1) the EPS is red
2) the Service Function for steering is there (but no ABL things like yours?)
3) When connecting though, I do get an error as pictured.

When installing edibas - it did come up with an error for the port, so I'll uninstall everything and try again.
When the EPS is red, that's not good i think. I think the ABL wouldn't work when the EPS is red.
And why the ABL isn't there i don't understand because like i said the version 4.03 and 4.15 from me have this ABL.
The error "The programming system ..." is no problem. That only meass that the programming data aren't installed, but we don't want do programming.
Did you clear the error memory?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #50
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
When the EPS is red, that's not good i think. I think the ABL wouldn't work when the EPS is red.
And why the ABL isn't there i don't understand because like i said the version 4.03 and 4.15 from me have this ABL.
The error "The programming system ..." is no problem. That only meass that the programming data aren't installed, but we don't want do programming.
Did you clear the error memory?
I disconnected the battery and then used ISTA to 'clear fault memory'... it took a while, the ignition went off and then it reloaded but with all 17 faults present again? Did it not work properly? is this behaviour expected?

I also took note of the information about Terminal 30 - have I already checked these fuses? F55 and the F401... although that fuse I couldn't find...
Attached Images

Last edited by Dark_knight; 04-30-2020 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #51
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
I disconnected the battery and then used ISTA to 'clear fault memory'... it took a while, the ignition went off and then it reloaded but with all 17 faults present again? Did it not work properly? is this behaviour expected?

I also took note of the information about Terminal 30 - have I already checked these fuses? F55 and the F401... although that fuse I couldn't find...
Here is a complete readout of the faults. The FlexRay initialization one looks suspect as you said. I tried following the test plans but let me know specifically what you think I should try... If you are free, happy to do this on the phone... and happy to send you some money for a few drinks on me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #52
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

I have no further idea what can be done now.
I just searched for the initialization of the FlexRay again and read that this can be done with the ecu functions of the ZGM.
So in the control unit tree click on ZGM and then below on "Call up ecu functions". And somewhere there you should be able to initialize the FlexRay. But I'm not sure if that still helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #53
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have no further idea what can be done now.
I just searched for the initialization of the FlexRay again and read that this can be done with the ecu functions of the ZGM.
So in the control unit tree click on ZGM and then below on "Call up ecu functions". And somewhere there you should be able to initialize the FlexRay. But I'm not sure if that still helps.
Ok I can try that... I spoke to someone else who said maybe the enet cable isn't the best thing to use? Would icom make any difference?

I guess if the old rack could be read via ReadECU, then why wouldn't the new one?
I also checked the ground connections and it looks solid and fine. Think I need to learn how to use a multimeter?

One guys also said I could just be that unlucky that both donor racks are faulty... plausible I guess?

I was considering ordering one more rack - but getting exactly the same part number this time - instead of the newer compatible version?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #54
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ok I can try that... I spoke to someone else who said maybe the enet cable isn't the best thing to use? Would icom make any difference?

I guess if the old rack could be read via ReadECU, then why wouldn't the new one?
I also checked the ground connections and it looks solid and fine. Think I need to learn how to use a multimeter?

One guys also said I could just be that unlucky that both donor racks are faulty... plausible I guess?

I was considering ordering one more rack - but getting exactly the same part number this time - instead of the newer compatible version?

The enet cable is no problem.
How to use a multimeter is always a good idea.
I also suspect that the second rack is faulty, even if it's a strange coincidence. But since you wrote that the first / old / defective rack was immediately recognized in E-Sys, the rest must be correct (electricity, E-Sys , connection ...).
I think another part number shouldn't be a problem, but to be 100% sure it should be exactly the same part number.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:06 AM   #55
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
The enet cable is no problem.
How to use a multimeter is always a good idea.
I also suspect that the second rack is faulty, even if it's a strange coincidence. But since you wrote that the first / old / defective rack was immediately recognized in E-Sys, the rest must be correct (electricity, E-Sys , connection ...).
I think another part number shouldn't be a problem, but to be 100% sure it should be exactly the same part number.
Hey we might be getting somewhere. When the old rack is connected, ISTA identifies it as an old 2013 part. It looks like the rack has been changed before - before I had the car? There was no actual part number sticker on that rack either...

I attach the information from ISTA.

How does this change things?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #56
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hey we might be getting somewhere. When the old rack is connected, ISTA identifies it as an old 2013 part. It looks like the rack has been changed before - before I had the car? There was no actual part number sticker on that rack either...

I attach the information from ISTA.

How does this change things?
I think this changes nothing.
We only know now that the old rack seems to be OK, at least the electronic of the rack and the old rack has probably been replaced.
And we know that your software E-Sys and ISTA working good and should detect the new rack.

But now I also have a question to you.
How did you manage to get the battery voltage shown above in ISTA?
In all versions that I have used so far, this has never worked.
Do you use an ICOM?
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #57
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think this changes nothing.
We only know now that the old rack seems to be OK, at least the electronic of the rack and the old rack has probably been replaced.
And we know that your software E-Sys and ISTA working good and should detect the new rack.

But now I also have a question to you.
How did you manage to get the battery voltage shown above in ISTA?
In all versions that I have used so far, this has never worked.
Do you use an ICOM?
Hmm, ok - I thought I was onto something here. Any idea why it says 2013 for the EPS manufacture date? No part from 2013 is compatible with this car. Is a re flash an option?

Ah this printout is what I got directly from BMW when I paid for diagnostics... maybe this is why voltage is shown.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #58
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, ok - I thought I was onto something here. Any idea why it says 2013 for the EPS manufacture date? No part from 2013 is compatible with this car. Is a re flash an option?

Ah this printout is what I got directly from BMW when I paid for diagnostics... maybe this is why voltage is shown.
Yes, the 430i was introduced in 01/2016.
And yes, i think the rack has been replaced before.
But that's no problem, because the racks are interchangeable from 1 to 4 models.
And that also doesn't explain why the new rack isn't visible in the programs.

I've never had such a rack in my hand, but do you think you can unscrew the EPS control unit there?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 03:36 AM   #59
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the 430i was introduced in 01/2016.
And yes, i think the rack has been replaced before.
But that's no problem, because the racks are interchangeable from 1 to 4 models.
And that also doesn't explain why the new rack isn't visible in the programs.

I've never had such a rack in my hand, but do you think you can unscrew the EPS control unit there?

Ok this is now the strangest scenario ever.

I ordered a 3rd rack, but EXACTLY the same part number as before. I jacked up the car, plugged it in, tested it from underneath and it worked! No errors.

I disconnected it and connected the one currently fitted (that previously never connected) and now that works too! No heavy steering - back to normal!

This tells me that the connections must be loose or something. Ive traced the ground and it looks fine.

So we should hopefully have this solved!

Last few questions, do I need to still code the rack as it works now with no issues? Also, do I need to initialise with ISTA and which options do I select?

Thanks again for all your help guys, so grateful.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #60
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ok this is now the strangest scenario ever.

I ordered a 3rd rack, but EXACTLY the same part number as before. I jacked up the car, plugged it in, tested it from underneath and it worked! No errors.

I disconnected it and connected the one currently fitted (that previously never connected) and now that works too! No heavy steering - back to normal!

This tells me that the connections must be loose or something. Ive traced the ground and it looks fine.

So we should hopefully have this solved!

Last few questions, do I need to still code the rack as it works now with no issues? Also, do I need to initialise with ISTA and which options do I select?

Thanks again for all your help guys, so grateful.
These are good news.
Although I don't quite understand that suddenly the other one is working, but it doesn't matter.
I would still read the error memory.
If there is nothing in it, it can stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #61
Dark_knight
Private
Rep

Quote:
These are good news.
Although I don't quite understand that suddenly the other one is working, but it doesn't matter.
I would still read the error memory.
If there is nothing in it, it can stay that way.
Great I will check, do you know if i need to initialise it? If so, how?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #62
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Great I will check, do you know if i need to initialise it? If so, how?
I just checked the steps after replacing the EPS in newtis.info and it says that the "new" EPS has to be coded and the end stop software to be teached in.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/GwxSVWE2

So maybe it's better to do this.
Because of the teaching of the end stops i think you need an older version of ISTA, also when i don't understand how the garage will do this when the ABL isn't found in the newer version of ISTA.

Here i found a torrent for version 4.15:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...3&d=1549575207
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #63
Night_Rider
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierF32 View Post
I coded mine successfully but my servotronic still does not work. (steering feel change between drive modes). The donor car has the same build as my car with servotronic. Do you know how to get servotronic to work? I have tried repair FSC code that I got from my dealer for both my VIN and the donor car VIN but still no luck.
Iam having a same problem, can't use servotronic on a used eps rack. Did you get yours fixed? You help will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #64
AndriusL
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 LCI, BMW F31 LCI

Thanks for help. I will try to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #65
f30cole
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335i m sport/1999 911

my esys show eps but when i try to code it comes up with "cddeploy finished witherror cafd_00000c77-000_005_000 NotExecutable". any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 01:32 PM   #66
J Styles
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 AH3

BMW F30 New steering rack Activation

Hey

Im Jorn nice to meet all

Im having an imported BMW F30 AH3 from USA 2013

Upgrades over the year
losing the RFTs
Eibach Spings
Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks
(Both)Control arms F80 with monoball
Front Strutbrace
Back Strutbrace

Next stop
new intercooler
Downpipe

6 months ago i bought a new VSS steering rack with BMW in the Netherlands only to find out it was broken after not even driving 3000 km
Vague steering - sounds and a loose feeling by warm motor just completely off track
Now BMW replaced the steering rack for a new one only they seem not able to activate the steering rack because the car is imported only finding out after its allready replaced while i expliciet mentioned it up front but anyway
does somebody know how to activate the steering rack ?

I think the dealer uses ISTA but that does not seem to work as my car is standing there now for 2 days waiting for activation after replacement.

Can anyone help me out on this one ?

Will be highly appreciated
Appreciate 0