F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 front lip install and quick removal.
GetBMWParts

03-17-2024, 04:28 AM   #1
kalabstr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 series

F32 front lip install and quick removal.

Hello, I have a lowered F32 with front lip installed. I detached the lip before winter because it was only a couple cm above ground and winters get pretty snowy here. And now I plan to refit it on again in spring. The thing is that I will remove it once again before winter, so I am looking for best option to securing it. The first time it was attached using screws underneath and some 3M tape on top. That 3m double sided tape holds pretty well and is a bit of a hassle to remove the lip from it, and besides that it leaves residue that you need to work on to remove it. Also I plan this year to use a ferry couple of times with this car, and drive in to the ferry is pretty steep so for sure I will have to remove the lip before driving in.

So the question is, what options there are to secure the lip so that it's not too much of a hasle to remove it when needed and doesnt leave bumper with residues? I am okay with screws underneath but maybe instead of 3m tape, velcro stickers would do the job?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:13 AM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Well... if you are leaning towards use of velcro, aka hook-n-loop, you should consider using the so-called snap-together fasteners together with screws. The principle is similar to velcro, but instead they use mushroom shaped plastic stems and heads to interlock with each other. These are used in automotive a lot to hold bug deflectors and such to be easily removed at car wash.

Here is an example by 3M: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40068902/
Follow 3M recommendations as to how to establish the strongest engagement by selecting the combination of stems' density (250:400 is the strongest).

You should use the strips with acrylic adhesive (not rubber) as it is the best choice for exterior use.

Unfortunately, the only problem with using strips like that is the resultant gap that they will cause between the lip and the bumper cover - approx 3.86 mm (when strips are mated into each other), which is a lot and not cosmetically appealing without filling the gap up with custom silicon seal. I've made such seals in the past using a caulking gun and having mold release applied to one of the two surfaces (bumper cover). As the result - the seal gets permanently attached to the lip and is removed together with the lip whenever you take the lip off.

Good luck.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1

Last edited by Oksamit78; 03-18-2024 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0