F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake Squeal
Studio RSR

12-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

Brake Squeal

My brakes, i think the rear ones from what i can tell, squeal intermittently. It seems to act up more on colder days, but when it does, it squeals the entire time, it doesn't go away after they warm up. And then the next day it might go away entirely.

When i brought it in for an oil change a month ago, it happened to be on a day that they were quiet so I couldn't recreate it for them (of course). The service adviser said that sometimes brake dust gets in between the rotor and pads and causes a squeal. During service, they measured the pads at 7mm and sent me on my way.

Is what my adviser said, about brake dust, accurate? Seems a little iffy to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Squeal is real, caused by a number of factors. I bet if you did a search in this forum of 'squeal' you'd get at least 50 results.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Squeal is real, caused by a number of factors. I bet if you did a search in this forum of 'squeal' you'd get at least 50 results.
+1

Are you on the factory pads? Different pad compositions can affect brake noise. I tried a set of Power Stops, definitely squealy when cold, probably won't use them again. You can try re-lubricating the backs of the pads and contact points. It helped on my car for a bit, but then the squeal just came back after a week or so.