F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Coming from 335d, would I be happy?
ARMA SPEED

05-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
We don't get that car in the US.

The OP is going to be let down by a 328d. Trust.
Got to chime in here.
While I can NOT speak for anyone else, I AFL (Abso-F*&%Kn-Lutely) LOVE my 320-d MSport!!!!!!!!

The MPG for the 1st 1000 miles (which was done w/in 1 wk of delivery via several 150 mile trips into NYC from out on LongIsland--uggghhh) is averaging around 40+ (with the computer showing 43+ & 49 on the total Hwy portion before hitting the side streets after leaving the parkway) combined hwy coupled with bumper to bumper traffic.

Love the acceleration, the road feel (even the RFTs are a tremendous improvement when compared to my 2008 & 2010 Mini-Cooper Clubman RFT -which feels EVERY imperfection on the roadway & we HATE those RFTs) is really lovely.

This is in comparison to my E-46 2003 330i (which I just sold) that was a fabulous autoban touring machine that was a delight to drive locally and especially on road trips ( 750-->1500 mile) cruising at 75-80+mph.

Some individuals are forgetting that the F-30 328 (NA/USA) badged Turbo diesel is not the same diesel as the older one in the 335. There is no argument on the difference in power between the two. However, that being said, the current iteration offered in NA/USA is a lovely engine.

The torque, power, and feel is verrrrrry wonderful in 98% of the driving situations that you are likely to encounter. That being said, it is a matter of personal comfort and enjoyment. And these comments are based on driving 99% of the time in the "comfort" mode --not EcoPro mode or Grandpa mode.

Having the "ultimate driving machine" and feeling very safe/comfortable and upscale/sporty is a personal decision. So, I won't want to speak for anyone else but me & my other half who is enamoured with what we have.

Add to that is the thought that this version (F-30) is longer (7") and wider (3"+) than the 2 generations earlier (E46 2003 330i) that I had & loved, I feel like I am driving a 5 series with a 3 series price tag.

There are 2 things that I am not thrilled with:
1-The slow learning curve sometimes associated with processing some of iDrive links, because at times, it appears counter intuitive.
2-The difficulty in getting the AutoGarageDoor opener/closing to link with the button on the mirror --still not working.
However, both of these apply to all 3 Series with the Tech pkg, irrespective of it being a diesel~

Just my humble 2¢.

After saying all of the above, see if you can work out a "loaner situation" for a couple of days or a week and put some mileage on it and see how you feel about it --even if you have to rent/pay for the week of driving. Chances are, you will be VERRRRRY impressed. If not, then this is not the combo for you.

Last edited by ADM; 05-22-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I'm considering moving into a 328d from my 335xi e90. I had the 328d as a loaner, sparsely optioned, and loved it. No where near as quick or dynamic as the e90. But handles the Boston roads so much more comfortably.

I still think the e90 is the best all around car I've ever owned, but it's not ideal for my new commute and warranty is out in 10 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

F30 328d is a different animal than E90 335d. I don't want to summarize; read it yourself (and this thread, which raises many of the same points and arguments pro/con.)
Appreciate 0