F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > weird misfire/not much power HELP.
proTUNING Freaks

01-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #1
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Exclamation weird misfire/not much power HELP.

so you guys im getting this very weird misfire/hicups/studdering/vibration/lowpower/ symptom on my car
in every gear is like I loose power and is like a bad shake/vibration/backfires/studdering/misfires.
ive tried all different maps and it goes away when I put it to stock map is getting very annoying before it would do it every now and then and it would only do it on part throttle now it does it no matter what.on stage 1 tune stage 2 tune e30 tune even the m2 map even the mppk map tune

I am currently using bm3.
mods are fBO.

intercooler
intake
chargepipe
dp

so once the car feels more power obviously its not liking it at all..
does anyone have any idea what it can be
spark plugs I replaced maybe 8k miles ago.
or less I think
coil packs swell same time

I dont get no check engine light nothing thats what pisses me off.. and it does it horrible enough for the car to damm notice something is wrong lol but I guess not .

note: do you guys think is the pcv valve/valve cover.
what I have noticed is that I do feel like the oil cap has alot of suction when the car is on. also I hear a whistle every now and then and especially when I take off the oil cap and put it back on while the car is running .

or do you guys think is a bad boost leak .
but if I had a bad boost leak shouldnt I get like a 30ff code or a boost leak code asap.

tomorrow ima try to do some logs and maybe some one can see it with a log.
      01-11-2021, 12:00 AM   #2
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431130

I get this noise on my car when ever I take off my oil cap and put it back on while the car is on
and also while im driving I might have this sound swell when im at a red light

do you guys think this has to do with something with my problem
      01-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ffc...90c649c15f962d

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ffc...90c649c15f962e

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ffc...0b431e28db9b93

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ffc...0b431e28db9b93

here goes some logs of my car GOING DUMB CRAZY lol
      01-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

You said no CEL - did you scan for codes? Nothing active or shadow? I suspect there is something there if its behaving as bad as you say.

When did the problem start? After any specific mod or maintenance? Happen all the sudden or gradually get worse?

Those logs are way too messy. You need to get a proper 4th gear pull or two (to the extent possible with the issue), not just a whole bunch of driving with some WOT in there.

I trimmed one of them down to some WOT you did in 1-2nd gear. The main thing i noticed is that you couldnt get above like 11psi and were way below boost target even though you were WOT for a long time. In 2nd gear you only held around 7psi. A boost leak is definitely possible. Pressure or smoke test.

Also, your fuel trims are quite positive - what E% are you running? Stock HPFP?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You said no CEL - did you scan for codes? Nothing active or shadow? I suspect there is something there if its behaving as bad as you say.

When did the problem start? After any specific mod or maintenance? Happen all the sudden or gradually get worse?

Those logs are way too messy. You need to get a proper 4th gear pull or two (to the extent possible with the issue), not just a whole bunch of driving with some WOT in there.

I trimmed one of them down to some WOT you did in 1-2nd gear. The main thing i noticed is that you couldnt get above like 11psi and were way below boost target even though you were WOT for a long time. In 2nd gear you only held around 7psi. A boost leak is definitely possible. Pressure or smoke test.

Also, your fuel trims are quite positive - what E% are you running? Stock HPFP?
so pro tunning freaks contacted me back they are saying it might be my injector on cyl 6
he said it is cutting back too much timing
on those logs I was running 3 gallons of e85 on stock HPFP

these here is on stock map

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6002...90c656f5acc10f
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6002...0b434387f959bf
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6002...729b13f1e035bf

This last one is just normal driving on comfort mode

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6002...90c6565b6677ed

here are some logs of me on stock map because the car was acting way too dumb on the other maps .

on stock map the car almost feels normal but on one of the pulls I did feel some hiccups /hesitation/missfire at the beginning but then it went away quck .

honestly this problem used to always be there but only sometimes and in part throttle only .

and just over time it started to get worse and worse.

I think that one time I did spark plugs and coil packs the problem went away a tadbit but eventually came back and now is just really bad on all other maps so right now im just on stock map
      01-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

In the stock tune logs timing is even across all cylinders during the pull. But if you have problems with one specific cyl on the tuned maps and you tried plugs/coils it could be injector. Its possible it got worse over time and those maps demand too much fuel.

Are you running some ethanol on the stock tune logs? Your fuel trims are a bit more than 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the stock tune logs timing is even across all cylinders during the pull. But if you have problems with one specific cyl on the tuned maps and you tried plugs/coils it could be injector. Its possible it got worse over time and those maps demand too much fuel.

Are you running some ethanol on the stock tune logs? Your fuel trims are a bit more than 1.
it might of still had a little e85 from the last tank I had done but ill maybe do another pull or some more logs today with a new tank of gas and the e85 should be 100% gone..
      01-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I F32

finally someone that has the same problem as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post
so you guys im getting this very weird misfire/hicups/studdering/vibration/lowpower/ symptom on my car
in every gear is like I loose power and is like a bad shake/vibration/backfires/studdering/misfires.
ive tried all different maps and it goes away when I put it to stock map is getting very annoying before it would do it every now and then and it would only do it on part throttle now it does it no matter what.on stage 1 tune stage 2 tune e30 tune even the m2 map even the mppk map tune

I am currently using bm3.
mods are fBO.

intercooler
intake
chargepipe
dp

so once the car feels more power obviously its not liking it at all..
does anyone have any idea what it can be
spark plugs I replaced maybe 8k miles ago.
or less I think
coil packs swell same time

I dont get no check engine light nothing thats what pisses me off.. and it does it horrible enough for the car to damm notice something is wrong lol but I guess not .

note: do you guys think is the pcv valve/valve cover.
what I have noticed is that I do feel like the oil cap has alot of suction when the car is on. also I hear a whistle every now and then and especially when I take off the oil cap and put it back on while the car is running .

or do you guys think is a bad boost leak .
but if I had a bad boost leak shouldnt I get like a 30ff code or a boost leak code asap.

tomorrow ima try to do some logs and maybe some one can see it with a log.
once my car is on stock i have no issues, and as soon as i flash the stage 2 custom tune the problem reappears. changed the spark plugs and ignition coils nothing happened, everytime i'm in 3rd/4th gear and push down the throttle the car starts making backfire noises which caused me a crack in my block n1 and a broken piston. asked many workshops and none of them knew what's really happening. the car starts shaking like crazy and it starts losing power like putting it in neutral once i'm on my 4th gear and on high rpms.

i guess that there's engine knock below 0 or something like that. (correction knock)
still trying to find out what's the problem

if you found out what's causing it please tell me :'(
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker_f32 View Post
once my car is on stock i have no issues, and as soon as i flash the stage 2 custom tune the problem reappears. changed the spark plugs and ignition coils nothing happened, everytime i'm in 3rd/4th gear and push down the throttle the car starts making backfire noises which caused me a crack in my block n1 and a broken piston. asked many workshops and none of them knew what's really happening. the car starts shaking like crazy and it starts losing power like putting it in neutral once i'm on my 4th gear and on high rpms.

i guess that there's engine knock below 0 or something like that. (correction knock)

sure at the moment im still on stock map and like I mention the car feels alot better and nice and strong in stock map I haven't had a chance to take it to a shop

I know for sure my valve cover is messed up because im getting that squealing noise and Ive read thats from a bad valve cover ( pcv valve ) or something like that
      01-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I saw your post in the other section about the broken piston. How confident are you all of these issues are not from your custom tune? Have you tried a BM3 OTS map?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
Widowmaker_f32
Enlisted Member
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I F32

Quote:
Quote:

I saw your post in the other section about the broken piston. How confident are you all of these issues are not from your custom tune? Have you tried a BM3 OTS map?
we tried several maps (custom tune) nothing worked.
contacted protuning freaks and they said it could be a bad injector as i mentioned in other section.

now driving my car on stage 2 and it runs fine as long as i don't hit the throttle like before
Appreciate 0