F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Weak keyfob signal?
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
f304dr
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Weak keyfob signal?

Hello!

First winter with this car, I'm having a really weak signal whenever trying to lock and unlock the car. It seems to really struggle in the winter which is strange as I had worse cars that never had this.

The car can't find the fob most times I get in and i have to push start multiple times to get going, I've also left the car running and locked while getting something and almost couldn't get back in. I've replaced the keyfob battery (2450 3v lithium coin battery off amazon so it might be old) to little result and also the main car battery with another bmw one.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Insulation for the battery? Is it even a battery issue if it happens when the cars left on? It will usually only unlock when your right next to it when really cold and maybe a meter when not freezing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the car battery isn't fully charged you can get these symptoms. Even a new battery can have problems in winter if you typically drive only short distances. The fob battery might be crap as well, especially if it's an off brand. What about your spare fob?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
f304dr
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If the car battery isn't fully charged you can get these symptoms. Even a new battery can have problems in winter if you typically drive only short distances. The fob battery might be crap as well, especially if it's an off brand. What about your spare fob?
The spare was dead when I got it, its energizer brand but amazon may have just sent an old pair. I'll get a battery booster to top it up but it still seems to die fast even after long drives. Is it really supposed to do that? I would sit in all my cars in acc mode chilling for an hour or two and would be surprisingly fine, but can't last even 20 mins here.

I didn't have this issue when I first got the car but can't remember when it started but definitely got worse in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

By spare I meant your spare fob. If both have the same symptom it's the car, not the keys. You may have a battery drain issue. Those are always worse in winter, as battery efficiency drops in cold weather. My battery is always on a maintainer when the temperatures go below freezing.
Appreciate 0