F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Amsoil Next Oil Change?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Anybody else using Amsoil oil, this is what is going in her MY13' N20-320ix at 45k + the Amsoil filter. Note: i only drive about less than 5k miles per year, so i got these so i can do about one oil change per year, and should be good for all temps, as i live in the Northern East Coast..
Attached Images

03-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If anything Amsoil is most beneficial when you go with longer oil change intervals. That doesn't mean you should go longer than a year, you should change every spring to get rid of the crap that accumulates in the oil over the winter. I just wouldn't spend the extra on Amsoil unless I was going at least 10k mile intervals. Not that I cheap out at Walmart, I use Liqui Moly. I wouldn't spend more for an Amsoil filter either. I change my filter twice a year, so I'm sure the $8 Mann is adequate.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

I side with the OP all the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
I side with the OP all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If anything Amsoil is most beneficial when you go with longer oil change intervals. That doesn't mean you should go longer than a year, you should change every spring to get rid of the crap that accumulates in the oil over the winter. I just wouldn't spend the extra on Amsoil unless I was going at least 10k mile intervals. Not that I cheap out at Walmart, I use Liqui Moly. I wouldn't spend more for an Amsoil filter either. I change my filter twice a year, so I'm sure the $8 Mann is adequate.
Thanks for your input, lucky i have a decent Indie shop that can do my oil changes and pretty much anything else i will need in the future for (PMSing) my baby Bimmer to hopefully last longer, i plan on keeping her for as long as i am still able to walk lol..His oil changes he only charges for labor ($25) i can bring in my own supplies as like this post, i know everybody's situation is gonna be different.
      03-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I do my own oil changes, so cost isn't an issue. I plan on keeping my car for at least ten years, so I started using Liqui Moly Cera Tec to help in that regard. I can't say which was responsible, or if it was both, but after my first change to Liqui Moly Molygen plus Cera Tec my mileage went up by 2 MPG. It takes some serious friction reduction to get that result.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I started using Amsoil last year. I was using the 5w40. I switched to the 0w40 about a thousand miles ago. I’m changing my oil every 6-7k, which is way too soon for this oil, but I’m a little paranoid of the timing chain thing, so changing it between 6 & 7 k gives me peace of mind. I’d go 10k otherwise, as I have for every other car I’ve owned. I’ve noticed my car gets up to operating temp more quickly with the 0w, which i really like. I wouldn’t spend the money on the Amsoil filter though. The Mann filters are very high quality and can easily go at least 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I started using Amsoil last year. I was using the 5w40. I switched to the 0w40 about a thousand miles ago. I'm changing my oil every 6-7k, which is way too soon for this oil, but I'm a little paranoid of the timing chain thing, so changing it between 6 & 7 k gives me peace of mind. I'd go 10k otherwise, as I have for every other car I've owned. I've noticed my car gets up to operating temp more quickly with the 0w, which i really like. I wouldn't spend the money on the Amsoil filter though. The Mann filters are very high quality and can easily go at least 10k miles.
I was lazy lol, they had that filter in stock when i was picking up the oil.
      03-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
----. I wouldn’t spend the money on the Amsoil filter though. The Mann filters are very high quality and can easily go at least 10k miles.
No argument with the Mann filter, but it uses industry std filter media. Nobody makes a filter with particulate removal efficiency to the level of the proprietary Amsoil filter media. Depends on what satisfies you. Ya gets what ya pays for.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Is that judgement based on independent lab tests? Amsoil says it's 99% efficient at 20 microns, I've seen the Mann listed as 99.5 - 99.9% efficiency at 9 microns.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is something with some data backed behind it, an this is not from Amsoil themselves. This guy who did the testing is well you can Google him is pretty reputatable.
Attached Images

03-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Here is something with some data backed behind it, an this is not from Amsoil themselves. This guy who did the testing is well you can Google him is pretty reputatable.
FYI a lot has changed in 13 yrs. Amsoil no longer has any clear advantages vs modern formulas.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
FYI a lot has changed in 13 yrs. Amsoil no longer has any clear advantages vs modern formulas.
Well maybe it has, but since having a tune, i feel better my chances of using this oil for my personal relief, the dealer that sells them does alot of oil changes for Euro spec vehicles and thas the reason he is a dealer for Amsoil. I guess the phrase "each to their own" holds here, not bashing any other brands is what i am saying...At this age and stage in my life, i am not looking to keep selling an having another $30+k note to the banks, i've got a nice house and more focused on it..Hope the Corona dosen't take me though, lol..
      03-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is that judgement based on independent lab tests?
Yes.

Other mfrs have been at Amsoil's throats for the last 45 years and Amsoil is careful to have data to back up every claim. In an open forum the company's founder and president challenged Redline and Pennzoil to come and check Amsoil's files over some nasty comments (also in open forum) about the ability of Amsoil oil to be capable of 25,000 miles of service. All went quiet on Redline's and Pennzoil's front.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is that judgement based on independent lab tests?
Yes.

Other mfrs have been at Amsoil's throats for the last 45 years and Amsoil is careful to have data to back up every claim. In an open forum the company's founder and president challenged Redline and Pennzoil to come and check Amsoil's files over some nasty comments (also in open forum) about the ability of Amsoil oil to be capable of 25,000 miles of service. All went quiet on Redline's and Pennzoil's front.
Nice, i like them i guess because i have their MP HD metal protector spray's and love them, so that pursuaded me as well, but its always nice to have data to back up your sh$t.
      03-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In an open forum the company's founder and president challenged Redline and Pennzoil to come and check Amsoil's files over some nasty comments (also in open forum) about the ability of Amsoil oil to be capable of 25,000 miles of service.
What's that got to do with the filter? Color me a skeptic, but I work in the audio field, where lab testing proves that 50 cents a foot zip cord works better than $100 a foot magic speaker cables. I know from experience that you don't always get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #16
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
What's that got to do with the filter? Color me a skeptic, but I work in the audio field, where lab testing proves that 50 cents a foot zip cord works better than $100 a foot magic speaker cables. I know from experience that you don't always get what you pay for.
You seem to suspect Amsoil of publishing in house doctored information. Oil business competitors are always trying to find something to use to drive the small guy with a superior product out of business. This company is always on the up and up with information they publish for that reason. The point was that notable companies made remarks they had no basis for making. I think you ought to investigate a company further before you make off hand, unsubstantiated remarks.

BTW Amsoil supplies gear lube to approximately 50% of all the wind turbines in the US after demonstrating a superior product to the gearbox manufacturers. ZF is one of those gearbox suppliers. These gearboxes transmit around 4000hp. Their lube also goes to Europe, South America and China.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You're still avoiding the question I asked: Where are the independent lab testing results that confirm the superiority of the Amsoil filters over Mann or Mahle? In the absence of those results that claim is what's unsubstantiated.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #18
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're still avoiding the question I asked: Where are the independent lab testing results that confirm the superiority of the Amsoil filters over Mann or Mahle? In the absence of those results that claim is what's unsubstantiated.
So far i haven't seen any that i came across, only about the toyota oem vs amsoil. And honestly dosen't really matter to me, which ever one i get cos, on Amsoil i just signed up for a membership which gives me 25% off my orders, which ia good for me cos i have two other cars to take care of as well. And if your bored, check out "Project Farm" off YouTube on his oil results, pretty good info backed with extensive testing...
      03-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #19
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did not beat up on Mann or Mahle. Re read my post. I said "No argument with the Mann filter"
You know full well a company's testing contracts are not open to public scrutiny. How about you post the independent lab testing results that present the Mann and Mahle properties if you believe test results are available. While you are getting those the LiquiMoly properties too?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I read your post, where you said "Nobody makes a filter with particulate removal efficiency to the level of the proprietary Amsoil filter media." Being absent of anything other than advertising copy to back up that claim I'll file it away with testimonials for Monster Cables and Enzyte.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #21
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Anybody else using Amsoil oil, this is what is going in her MY13' N20-320ix at 45k + the Amsoil filter. Note: i only drive about less than 5k miles per year, so i got these so i can do about one oil change per year, and should be good for all temps, as i live in the Northern East Coast..

Is that a current bottle? I recently changed my oil and used the same thing, but the labels on mine also state “100% synthetic.”
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #22
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is that a current bottle? I recently changed my oil and used the same thing, but the labels on mine also state "100% synthetic."
Yes, mine is Full Syn, it just says prem vice the word 100%. Actually all the Euro bottles say that "Premium", are u sure u got the Euro and not the OE ones..