F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Possible to separate actual trim piece from the part itself?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Possible to separate actual trim piece from the part itself?

Hello friends! I will be carbon fiber skinning my interior trim and I was wondering for the main center dash trim if the wood can be removed from the metal portion? The gap is really small in between those two pieces so I don't want to risk getting epoxy on that metal part? Has anyone done carbon fiber skinning themselves? UKF30 has done it before but I he hasn't responded to my messages. Please let me know
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Yes. You'll see on the back of the assembly plastic rivets that hold the two pieces together. Remove the mushroomed part with a 1/4" or so bit in an electric drill and you can separate the parts. After wrapping the wood part reassemble them, using a hot melt glue gun to replace the rivet mushrooms with hot melt glue. I don't know where epoxy enters into the equation. My preference for carbon fiber wrap is 3M Di-Noc.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Yes. You'll see on the back of the assembly plastic rivets that hold the two pieces together. Remove the mushroomed part with a 1/4" or so bit in an electric drill and you can separate the parts. After wrapping the wood part reassemble them, using a hot melt glue gun to replace the rivet mushrooms with hot melt glue. I don't know where epoxy enters into the equation. My preference for carbon fiber wrap is 3M Di-Noc.
Thank you so much! Do you think hot glue would hold it through the heat?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's held for me. There are different grades of hot melt glue, choose one with a higher melting point.
Appreciate 0