F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

05-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #23
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320D MY2016

Did anyone test Google voice command app or Siri in Carplay? Can you use it flawlessly?
I still can't solve my problem with the microphone T_T

Below is my review from old thread, just repost it here
I've ordered this unit from Ugode last month and have used it for around 3 weeks. Actually it's good unit like Supernova66 said. It's smoother than my old Android head unit from QDIS (Dual core Telechips with 1GB ram), thanks to 2GB of ram. The screen is bright and clear, even it has only 480p native resolution. The sound from android side is not so different from BMW NBT side, but you need to set the sound level in android only half (20 from 40), otherwise the sound will crack.

My original NBT is 6.5 inch without Navi. After learning some coding, I can code the original screen to wide mode and look like original 8.8 screen with split screen function.
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

GPS antenna should be placed out of the car (I kept it at windscreen, outside of the car), otherwise it take very long time to find and lock the satellite. (15min inside the car or under the bonnet vs. 2-3 min outside the car)

I've also bought Carplay autobox adapter (white dongle) and using with this unit. It's working and the aspect ratio is good, but you need to touch the screen to control it. Unfortunately, the original iDrive knob can only move the selection, but can't select the function by pressing it.

My unit came with firmware from Jan 2018, which was still containing some Chinese character in launcher. After talking with Alice Wong, who gave me good support, she sent a new firmware (Mar 2018 version) and I've upgraded it. Right now every part is in English. I think when you guys order this unit, it will be shipped with the lastest firmware.

However, there are some problems which I met and it can't be solved with the new firmware
1. The 3G/4G USB dongle is not support. You need to use WiFi hotspot.
2. The Wi-Fi is not connect automatically, which is troublesome. It can be connected automatically only if you turn on WiFi hotspot before the cold boot. If it's in ready state and you turn on the hotspot, it will not connect. You need to manually connect it. After some research, this is the problem with Android 7.1.1 and there's same problem in other unit that run this version of Android.
3. From 1&2 - I tried to root the unit to correct it. Right now this unit can't be root with Kingroot or Kingoroot, always failed -_-"
4. The OBDII bluetooth can't be connected. I've found that the bluetooth function is completely govern by Bluetooth special app that come with the launcher. The original bluetooth screen can't turn on or off the bluetooth. I think this is the cause and now still find the way to disable the app (I think it need to be root first)
5. The most annoying and important problem is that the microphone part is not function*** T_T
Alice said that the microphone can only be used with bluetooth calling, but for me it's not working at all. Even bluetooth calling, Siri command with Carplay adapter, or Google voice command. Right now I still have no idea how to correct it. Maybe I will try USB microphone.
Appreciate 1
S_Onyx52.00
      05-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Today I found very interesting function of the unit

You can "mix" the sound of the original NBT and android unit in some app!
At first I think the sound from two source is always separate and can't be mixed.

I connect my iPhone to bluetooth of original NBT head unit, play the song from apple music, switch back to navigation in Sygic app. The song still play while turn-by-turn voice navigation is play simultaneously from the left speaker of the car. Just amazing how can it happened

Anyway, I test other nav app, IGO, which failed to mix the voice navigation with the music from original NBT. I don't know what is behind this

FYI
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:31 AM   #25
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taechit View Post
I've no problem with the sound quality. It feel the same as original NBT unit. Do you have optical cable (green one) and did you move it to the new plug?

Mine is F30 2016 HU_ENTRYNAV NBT
Yes I moved the optical cables to the nrw plug. My head unit is L7 ENTRY.
Did you have to connect the aux to armrest for sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #26
Taechit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang View Post
Yes I moved the optical cables to the nrw plug. My head unit is L7 ENTRY.
Did you have to connect the aux to armrest for sound?
No. Just connect the optical cable and it's working.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #27
USCBMW
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Sport

In conjuction with my earlier questions about Spotify controls, could I technically use bluetooth to pair the unit and my car if I got a mini dongle for the unit? Or would I already be able to do that? Just brainstorming here!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #28
MrChang
Private
Rep

The sound from aux cable to armrest got better after lowering aux volume in car setting. In my case I think I must use aux cable to get sound becase of having a combox?

What is the factory setup code? I used it yesterday and I cant remember I had to enter a code...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #29
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #30
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Has anyone got a Camera yellow input cable on the smaller looms? I don't so can't install my reverse camera!

Edit: Heres the cables I got on my loom
View post on imgur.com

Edit 2:

I just got an e-mail back from Louie who said the camera reverse is plugged in as follows:

The camera yellow is plugged into the main harness YELLOW labelled CCD CVBS In.

Power on the camera with the wire labelled CCD 12V and ground using GND on the AUX cable.

Once I've installed it I'll write up a guide on installing the reverse camera and unit so it makes it easier for others.

Last edited by steve498; 05-30-2018 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #31
lguodon
Rep
Drives: G38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taechit View Post
Did anyone test Google voice command app or Siri in Carplay? Can you use it flawlessly?
I still can't solve my problem with the microphone T_T

Below is my review from old thread, just repost it here
I've ordered this unit from Ugode last month and have used it for around 3 weeks. Actually it's good unit like Supernova66 said. It's smoother than my old Android head unit from QDIS (Dual core Telechips with 1GB ram), thanks to 2GB of ram. The screen is bright and clear, even it has only 480p native resolution. The sound from android side is not so different from BMW NBT side, but you need to set the sound level in android only half (20 from 40), otherwise the sound will crack.

My original NBT is 6.5 inch without Navi. After learning some coding, I can code the original screen to wide mode and look like original 8.8 screen with split screen function.
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 10.25_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

GPS antenna should be placed out of the car (I kept it at windscreen, outside of the car), otherwise it take very long time to find and lock the satellite. (15min inside the car or under the bonnet vs. 2-3 min outside the car)

I've also bought Carplay autobox adapter (white dongle) and using with this unit. It's working and the aspect ratio is good, but you need to touch the screen to control it. Unfortunately, the original iDrive knob can only move the selection, but can't select the function by pressing it.

My unit came with firmware from Jan 2018, which was still containing some Chinese character in launcher. After talking with Alice Wong, who gave me good support, she sent a new firmware (Mar 2018 version) and I've upgraded it. Right now every part is in English. I think when you guys order this unit, it will be shipped with the lastest firmware.

However, there are some problems which I met and it can't be solved with the new firmware
1. The 3G/4G USB dongle is not support. You need to use WiFi hotspot.
2. The Wi-Fi is not connect automatically, which is troublesome. It can be connected automatically only if you turn on WiFi hotspot before the cold boot. If it's in ready state and you turn on the hotspot, it will not connect. You need to manually connect it. After some research, this is the problem with Android 7.1.1 and there's same problem in other unit that run this version of Android.
3. From 1&2 - I tried to root the unit to correct it. Right now this unit can't be root with Kingroot or Kingoroot, always failed -_-"
4. The OBDII bluetooth can't be connected. I've found that the bluetooth function is completely govern by Bluetooth special app that come with the launcher. The original bluetooth screen can't turn on or off the bluetooth. I think this is the cause and now still find the way to disable the app (I think it need to be root first)
5. The most annoying and important problem is that the microphone part is not function*** T_T
Alice said that the microphone can only be used with bluetooth calling, but for me it's not working at all. Even bluetooth calling, Siri command with Carplay adapter, or Google voice command. Right now I still have no idea how to correct it. Maybe I will try USB microphone.

Can you share a new firmware (Mar 2018 version),thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:59 AM   #32
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

They should have been send with the latest fw. Please contact louie or alice for a new fw if applicatie and only post it if they agree.
I wouldnt just install a random file on your unit.
One on the avin topic did and bricked the unit...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:05 AM   #33
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
Has anyone got a Camera yellow input cable on the smaller looms? I don't so can't install my reverse camera!

Edit: Heres the cables I got on my loom
View post on imgur.com

Edit 2:

I just got an e-mail back from Louie who said the camera reverse is plugged in as follows:

Power on the camera with the wire labelled CCD 12V and ground using GND on the AUX cable.

Once I've installed it I'll write up a guide on installing the reverse camera and unit so it makes it easier for others.
Thx I've got camera too but I think I'll wait and for now will only install HU
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:06 AM   #34
steve498
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
Thx I've got camera too but I think I'll wait and for now will only install HU
No worries. I'll write up a pdf once I do it. I'm doing it all at once otherwise I have to take it out again.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #35
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
They should have been send with the latest fw. Please contact louie or alice...
Arent they the same person ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #36
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

I just received my GPS splitter so it looks like I have something to do this evening
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #37
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
Edit 2:

I don't understand the last part. I don't have ground on video cable at that end.

My camera cable has a yellow camera plug (RCA) and a red power line at one end.

At the other end there are a black plug to reverse camera and red power & black ground line

yellow camera + red power |--------------------| black plug reverse cam + red & black power ground
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #38
steve498
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post

I don't understand the last part. I don't have ground on video cable at that end.

My camera cable has a yellow camera plug (RCA) and a red power line at one end.

At the other end there are a black plug to reverse camera and red power & black ground line

yellow camera + red power |--------------------| black plug reverse cam + red & black power ground
Yeah me either I've only got one ground which will be done in the boot. I'll test it soon and write up how to install it once my splitter arrives!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #39
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

what splitter have you ordered ?is it for gps antenna or for splicing cables ?
cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #40
steve498
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
what splitter have you ordered ?is it for gps antenna or for splicing cables ?
cheers
Gps antenna no splicing needed and it's this one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fakr...852595449.html
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #41
MrChang
Private
Rep

Now my android menu will not start its black with only upper menu bar. How to make it start?

I get a message:
Main menu isnt responding
x close app
x wait

Last edited by MrChang; 05-30-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #42
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang View Post
Now my android menu will not start its black with only upper menu bar. How to make it start?

I get a message:
Main menu isnt responding
x close app
x wait
Try the reset button on back near sd card location.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #43
MrChang
Private
Rep

Is the button behind the sd card cover or in the small hole beside it?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #44
MrChang
Private
Rep

I could reach settings and from there I made a factory reset and now everything works again.
Appreciate 0