F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone 6s, USB and Connected Drive not working
proTUNING Freaks

12-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
adiecidue
Rep
Drives: 328ic

iPhone 6s, USB and Connected Drive not working

I have a 2012 328i convertible and recently upgraded my phone from a 5 to a 6s. The bluetooth connected just fine with tunes and phone, but when I try to connect via USB and the Connected Drive app, the app connects for about 2 seconds then disconnects. It does this for 2 or 3 tries then gives up and doesn't connect. I am using iOS 9.1 and have upgraded the car's software to the latest version. Took it to the dealer and they just scratched their heads. Anyone come up with a solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Genuine Apple cable? That's always the first thing to check. You have CIC I'm guessing, but even with NBT, sometimes it just loses its mind and devices can't sync via USB. This is triggered after disconnecting USB devices (i.e. iPod, HDD or iPhone 6) that have been connected and working. It connects and will play for a couple seconds then poof, can't see the device. Then it'll show up again but get lost after 2 seconds of playing. Eventually it will sync up and work, staying rock solid until the next time I disconnect the device. It's weird. IDrive is not very robust when syncing/enumerating the USB ports with a "new" device.

Make sure you have an Apple cable since that often is the cause. Then just leave the phone connected for an extended period see if it eventually connects.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Genuine Apple cable? That's always the first thing to check. You have CIC I'm guessing, but even with NBT, sometimes it just loses its mind and devices can't sync via USB. This is triggered after disconnecting USB devices (i.e. iPod, HDD or iPhone 6) that have been connected and working. It connects and will play for a couple seconds then poof, can't see the device. Then it'll show up again but get lost after 2 seconds of playing. Eventually it will sync up and work, staying rock solid until the next time I disconnect the device. It's weird. IDrive is not very robust when syncing/enumerating the USB ports with a "new" device.

Make sure you have an Apple cable since that often is the cause. Then just leave the phone connected for an extended period see if it eventually connects.
+1 for quality cable, I use a Belkin certified cable (mainly because it is black) on my CIC car and have not had any issues. I do find that the USB port in the glove box temperamental.

B.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
F30_335
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Garage List
2014 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiecidue View Post
I have a 2012 328i convertible and recently upgraded my phone from a 5 to a 6s. The bluetooth connected just fine with tunes and phone, but when I try to connect via USB and the Connected Drive app, the app connects for about 2 seconds then disconnects. It does this for 2 or 3 tries then gives up and doesn't connect. I am using iOS 9.1 and have upgraded the car's software to the latest version. Took it to the dealer and they just scratched their heads. Anyone come up with a solution for this?
I have the same problem. Some time it can conect-disconect 10-20 times before say it not suport. Another day it work perfect. Tried with original cable and another, from apple store.
With 5s was worked perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
adiecidue
Rep

Yes, I have tried 2 different Apple cables with the same result. When you say "leave it connected for an extended period".... how long are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Like a day. A couple times when this happened in the morning and I just said " Screw it...I'll mess with this after work". When I tried later on, it just worked for some mysterious reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
adiecidue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Like a day. A couple times when this happened in the morning and I just said " Screw it...I'll mess with this after work". When I tried later on, it just worked for some mysterious reason.
Hmmm... Don't know if I can leave my phone plugged into the car for a whole day. Maybe overnight. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh, pretty sure nothing happens when the car is off. This was my iPod and HDD...both stay in the car all the time. When I said a whole day, that was drives to and from work, out to lunch etc.
Appreciate 0