F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turn off your radio
GetBMWParts

08-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #1
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Turn off your radio

Hi

Just thought I'd pass this on if anyone is concerned about battery drain.

My car was in for a service recently and on checking the dashcam noticed that, due to the dumb way BMW insist on keeping the entertainment system running until you lock the car, the radio is frequently left on until the battery protection kicks in and switches it off.

So for my service:
Car driven to outside service bay
Car moved to another space
Car moved into service bay
Car back to space outside service bay
Car moved to bay outside washing station (I know!)
Car to washing station
Car moved back to bay outside washing station
Car moved to collection point

On each occasion the car was not locked so that's 8 times the system was running on battery only.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Does it actually turn the radio off as in no power going into it at all or just mutes it - ie quiet but still draining battery???
      08-12-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Coding is your friend. I did mine so as soon as you open the door the radio switches off like a normal car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:07 AM   #4
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Same here, code it to turn the radio off when the car door is opened, and while you are in there, code stop/start to remember last setting
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

OP I think you are missing the proper guidance. Using the 'lock car' method to switch off the ignition is a lazy way of switching the car off. The correct way is to press the ignition button once to stop the engine, then pressing it again (without foot on brake pedal) to switch the ignition completely off.
Appreciate 4
mbanks211267.50
Quantox308.50
      08-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
OP I think you are missing the proper guidance. Using the 'lock car' method to switch off the ignition is a lazy way of switching the car off. The correct way is to press the ignition button once to stop the engine, then pressing it again (without foot on brake pedal) to switch the ignition completely off.
what he said
      08-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

I'm not using the car, it's at the dealers. THEY are not shutting the car down.

That said, it's a daft scenario anyway. One press should shut the car down, not two.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post

That said, it's a daft scenario anyway. One press should shut the car down, not two.
Surely one visit to the dealer and a few times of half shutdown (without sleeping) won't kill a good battery? Something is wrong if it does.

Not everyone wants a complete shut down on the first press, no more than key users necessarily want the radio off with an engine switch off.

IMO, BMW have it correct, it is really the same as the old days with ignition 1 & 2 positions.
Appreciate 3
LobB5109.00
allachie91334.00
      08-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
And that would be annoying if you didn't want everything shut down. I think the present way works fine. I've never had an issue with it in over 11 years of driving BMWs with the push button ignition.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
Quantox308.50
      08-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Surely one visit to the dealer and a few times of half shutdown (without sleeping) won't kill a good battery? Something is wrong if it does.

Not everyone wants a complete shut down on the first press, no more than key users necessarily want the radio off with an engine switch off.

IMO, BMW have it correct, it is really the same as the old days with ignition 1 & 2 positions.
It can't help the battery running it down like that. Fine with a new car but an ageing car?

Fair point not everyone wants everything off with an engine shut down. Time for a poll on that one? LOL

This conversation has been had before. It's not the same as Key 1 & 2 positions because keys spring back to position 1 from 2 after starting the car so when you turn the key one more position (same as one press of the start/stop button) everything goes off.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
This conversation has been had before. It's not the same as Key 1 & 2 positions because keys spring back to position 1 from 2 after starting the car so when you turn the key one more position (same as one press of the start/stop button) everything goes off.
No, real cars have 4 key positions:
1) Off
2) Accessory
3) Ignition
4) Start

So the key springs back to position 3, ignition not 2 (your 1)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
Hi

My car was in for a service recently and on checking the dashcam noticed that, due to the dumb way BMW insist on keeping the entertainment system running until you lock the car, the radio is frequently left on until the battery protection kicks in and switches it off.

So for my service:
Car to washing station

On each occasion the car was not locked so that's 8 times the system was running on battery only.
But of course this wont happen at your main stealer because the highly paid and thus immensely knowledgeable & mechanically sympathetic technician will naturally know that s/he must press it twice to save battery drain. No?? Oh OK sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

Quote:

It turns itself off after a certain period in any case. I can't see it really being likely to cause any big problems, and if it did run the battery all the way down? Happy days, the car's at the dealer already.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It was the irritation factor for me. Fine leaving the radio and wipers on when I have just switched off the engine but I expect them to switch off when I open the door. 1st world problem and all that!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDriver View Post
No, real cars have 4 key positions:
1) Off
2) Accessory
3) Ignition
4) Start

So the key springs back to position 3, ignition not 2 (your 1)
Being a BMW anorak, in a BMW it used to run as follows.

0) Steering lock engaged.
1) Steering lock disengaged. (Individual electrical accessories are ready for operation).
2) Ignition on. (All electrical equipment and accessories are available for use).
3) Starting the engine

For the OP; Hence why I stated positions 1 & 2. First push on shut down puts us from the equivalent position 2, back to position 1. Just as it has been for many years with BMW, (key or start button).
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      08-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Some like that the radio stays on (for passengers), others hate it, me included, and that is the beauty of an F30, £10 for a cable and 10 minutes work and you can set it to go off when the drivers door opens.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
It was the irritation factor for me. Fine leaving the radio and wipers on when I have just switched off the engine but I expect them to switch off when I open the door. 1st world problem and all that!
Again this is not peculiar to our current start-stop system. Has been the BMW way for as long as I can remember, certainly from the first generation 3-series. (May even have been so on the 2002). You could get out and still have the radio and intermittent wipers working. You had to switch to position 0 to switch everything off. Only difference I suppose, we had to do so, to withdraw the key and take it with us to lock the car.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      08-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #18
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
or hold the ignition button

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:
And that would be annoying if you didn't want everything shut down. I think the present way works fine. I've never had an issue with it in over 11 years of driving BMWs with the push button ignition.
Same.

I'd be concerned if I'd ever had a problem....but simply have not had any battery drain concerns.
      08-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #20
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
The cars are connected to a charger as soon as they are in the workshop. I'm a bit confused by this thread, if my car battery went flat after the car being moved 8 times, they can have it back!

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Hi

So for my service:
Car to washing station

When you mentioned "battery protection kicks in", it got me thinking........ Maybe the car is clever enough to switch the radio off immediately on turning the car off if it detects a low battery? So it may not be a worry.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
Yep, that's what I thought. Even if the radio stays on (for eight minutes), if you did it often enough the car would shut it off due to the low voltage of the battery. Ironically, with Connected Drive, it would also let the dealer know the battery was nearly flat!
Appreciate 0