F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
GetBMWParts

09-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #67
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Looks like mine was ok
Attached Images

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #68
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Looks like mine was ok
Strange they didn't change the EGR cooler...I assumed for the recall they were swapping the EGR cooler to a new improved one that doesn't have the same risk of causing a fire
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #69
Alscoob
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Good news then. Although I thought the recall was to change the cooler just in case. Maybe I was wrong?

Mines in next week so we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #70
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Could mileage be a issue? mines just turned 29k

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #71
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Could mileage be a issue? mines just turned 29k
What's the manufacture date?

I thought the reason for the recall was due to the EGR cooler causing "In some cases, glycol from the EGR cooler can escape and ignite in the hot exhaust gases together with oil residues." ..I would have thought replacing it like for like or not replacing it at all wouldn't prevent risk of this happening in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #72
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
What's the manufacture date?

I thought the reason for the recall was due to the EGR cooler causing "In some cases, glycol from the EGR cooler can escape and ignite in the hot exhaust gases together with oil residues." ..I would have thought replacing it like for like or not replacing it at all wouldn't prevent risk of this happening in the future.
2013-09-02

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #73
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I had a long chat with the Service Manager at my dealer yesterday. Seems the process is :

Strip the EGR cooler and visually inspect. They are specifically looking for signs of coolant inside the cooler, and coking.

Depending on the inspection of the cooler, they may then remove the EGR and inspect that as well.

Depending on the condition of the cooler and the EGR they may also remove the inlet manifold and the throttle body for inspection.

If the only cooler needs to be replaced, its just fitting of as new part. If the EGR needs to be replaced they should be able to do isolated coding and not wipe other ECUs in the car.

They want the car for two days to make surer that there's sufficient time.

Personally I'm hoping for at least a new cooler and EGR. The car has done 80K miles and I'll be amazed if there's not substantial soot/sludge/coking in these components.

Mine is booked for 17th October, due to loan car availability, so I'll let you know how it goes.
My old 335d was in getting looked at today for this and it was in line as per this description. Having inspected it they said it was absolutely fine and no further work required. The new owner was very happy as saved the remap.

This wasn't the original one, which was replaced under warranty in 2016 at around 65k miles.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:42 AM   #74
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
My old 335d was in getting looked at today for this and it was in line as per this description. Having inspected it they said it was absolutely fine and no further work required. The new owner was very happy as saved the remap.

This wasn't the original one, which was replaced under warranty in 2016 at around 65k miles.
I wouldn't be too happy for a potential safety issue like this to be resolved in that way. I assume that even if there is no sign of coolant on the day they inspect, there must be an inherent vulnerability given the fires that have happened.

While an inspection might reassure that there won't be a fire in the near future, presumably there is still a chance of the coolant leaking later on. I would have thought that they should be replacing the potentially faulty part with the modified design.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:31 AM   #75
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't be too happy for a potential safety issue like this to be resolved in that way. I assume that even if there is no sign of coolant on the day they inspect, there must be an inherent vulnerability given the fires that have happened.

While an inspection might reassure that there won't be a fire in the near future, presumably there is still a chance of the coolant leaking later on. I would have thought that they should be replacing the potentially faulty part with the modified design.
But it was replaced, after the date to which cars are affected, so presumably with the revised parts.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:41 AM   #76
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
But it was replaced, after the date to which cars are affected, so presumably with the revised parts.
Was it not the EGR valve itself, rather than the cooler that was replaced?

I have also had an EGR replacement in mid 2017. Mine is going back in in about 10 days for this recall, so I'll see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #77
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

My mate has the same car as mine (335d xd), but is July 2015 build. The very first of the LCI I think. He had his in for the end of warranty check a few weeks back and there was no work flagged up for the EGR recall.

So from what I can gather so far (on 335d) -

LCI models are fitted with a different design EGR valve or cooler which are not part of the recall.

Pre-LCI is part of the recall. Depending on when your car was manufactured will depend on if it needs the just the cooler (like mine May 2015), or earlier will need the cooler and the EGR valve.

If you have a pre-LCI, but have had the EGR parts replaced after a certain period (sometime after July 2015), then these parts will not need to be replaced.

Other models may not follow this as it would depend on the timing when the revised design EGR parts were phased into the production build.

Sounds like BMW have known about this problem for a long time and tried to keep the lid on it, then when it kicked off in Asia had no choice but to do a full recall. (this is an assumption). Unless of course the design was changed for another reason and it happened to also prevent the safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #78
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Quote:

I agree - my assumption was that potential faulty parts wouldl be replaced regardless of whether or not there's evidence of a problem on the actual day the car goes in for the recall. To me the issue is there's a known tendency for the parts to fail because of their design and if the point of the recall is to address that surely the only proper way to do so is by replacing the components affected?

The current plan is to keep my F31 for another two or three years but if this recall doesn't remove the fire risk I might have a rethink!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #79
Ako2k6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW f36 430d

I have just called and mine has been recalled 430d gc 64 plate. Maybe worth giving Bmw a call if you have a 3.0 diesel
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #80
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
My mate has the same car as mine (335d xd), but is July 2015 build. The very first of the LCI I think. He had his in for the end of warranty check a few weeks back and there was no work flagged up for the EGR recall.

So from what I can gather so far (on 335d) -

LCI models are fitted with a different design EGR valve or cooler which are not part of the recall.

Pre-LCI is part of the recall. Depending on when your car was manufactured will depend on if it needs the just the cooler (like mine May 2015), or earlier will need the cooler and the EGR valve.

If you have a pre-LCI, but have had the EGR parts replaced after a certain period (sometime after July 2015), then these parts will not need to be replaced.

Other models may not follow this as it would depend on the timing when the revised design EGR parts were phased into the production build.

Sounds like BMW have known about this problem for a long time and tried to keep the lid on it, then when it kicked off in Asia had no choice but to do a full recall. (this is an assumption). Unless of course the design was changed for another reason and it happened to also prevent the safety issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree - my assumption was that potential faulty parts wouldl be replaced regardless of whether or not there's evidence of a problem on the actual day the car goes in for the recall. To me the issue is there's a known tendency for the parts to fail because of their design and if the point of the recall is to address that surely the only proper way to do so is by replacing the components affected?

The current plan is to keep my F31 for another two or three years but if this recall doesn't remove the fire risk I might have a rethink!
As I said, those parts have been replaced, subsequent to when they were changed in design, so why would they be changed again?

I think inspection to ensure all is fine is perfectly reasonable approach.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #81
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
As I said, those parts have been replaced, subsequent to when they were changed in design, so why would they be changed again?

Agree, however if you have old pre-LCI EGR cooler that is vulnerable to the problem that causes the fires and they just check and don't change it due to no signs of a problem currently, surley you are still at risk of a problem developing in a few years time? This seems to be the case with evdok's 2013 car!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #82
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

I agree completely^

Although regarding having a rethink about keeping the car, realistically even with the badly designed/faulty EGR system there's probably no more than around a 2% Chance of the manifold melting and a 0.2% chance of the car actually catching fire in the next few years, looking at the amount of fires and cars on the road worldwide with these exact parts fitted.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #83
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, should have made it clearer but I was talking in more general terms rather than about your specific old car! If that had already had the problem parts replaced than arguably it didn't even need a recall but for cars like mine - which are in the affected build period and have had no EGR-related components replaced - I'd expect something more than a check which says it's ok at the moment but bring it back if anything changes.

Put another way, if my dealer doesn't replace the problem parts when it goes in the week after next for the recall I won't be happy; there's a known and potentially dangerous issue and anything less than the replacement of the offending parts wouldn't seem like a proper solution to me!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #84
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Although regarding having a rethink about keeping the car, realistically even with the badly designed/faulty EGR system there's probably no more than around a 2% Chance of the manifold melting and a 0.2% chance of the car actually catching fire in the next few years, looking at the amount of fires and cars on the road worldwide with these exact parts fitted.
Fair comment but BMW have guilty knowledge of a problem and that being the case to me it's not acceptable to leave sub-standard components on the vehicle just because the chances of anything happening are low.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #85
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Sorry, should have made it clearer but I was talking in more general terms rather than about your specific old car! If that had already had the problem parts replaced than arguably it didn't even need a recall but for cars like mine - which are in the affected build period and have had no EGR-related components replaced - I'd expect something more than a check which says it's ok at the moment but bring it back if anything changes.

Put another way, if my dealer doesn't replace the problem parts when it goes in the week after next for the recall I won't be happy; there's a known and potentially dangerous issue and anything less than the replacement of the offending parts wouldn't seem like a proper solution to me!
How would a dealer know if you had pre or post LCI EGR cooler without inspecting?

EGR cooler leaks are pretty common, so there will be plenty pre LCI cars out there with post LCI EGR coolers. Like mine.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #86
F30oldie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: on order - 330d

Car went in for this today - 330d Nov 2014 build. On collection, was told that they have not changed anything, but have inspected the EGR cooler, taken a video and sent the video to BMW - they need to wait until tomorrow for an answer - if it needs to be replaced then it will have to be booked in again.

bit annoyed about the process, but on the other hand I'm on 95k miles and a freebie replacement would be rather convenient. I can imagine parts are probably in short supply...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #87
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
How would a dealer know if you had pre or post LCI EGR cooler without inspecting?

EGR cooler leaks are pretty common, so there will be plenty pre LCI cars out there with post LCI EGR coolers. Like mine.
Assuming the work has been carried out by a BMW dealer wouldn't their system record that (so in your case wouldn't it be evident to a dealer that your car doesn't have its original EGR cooler without needing to inspect it?).

Having said that I can see it would become a pain to check which cars within the affected build period have already had replacement parts; therefore, from BMW's perspective, a blanket recall based on the date of manufacture is probably easier to administer (and probably also reduces the risk of any affected cars being missed).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #88
Jim Bob
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

If anyone wants me to check if there car has a QE outstanding, just PM your reg. I'll get back to you soon as I can.
Appreciate 0