F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bizarre electrical fault
ARMA SPEED

04-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport sDrive

Bizarre electrical fault

I've been experiencing some bizarre electrical gremlins with my 330d this past two weeks, after what has been a faultless year of ownership.

So two weeks ago I was driving out of my estate and without any provocation at all every warning started flashing up on the dash and iDrive. It started by telling me the bonnet was open when clearly it wasn't, then a transmission warning, then something about the airbag system, TPMS. Before I knew it I was being gonged at left right and centre and cancelling warnings on the iDrive. The indicators also stopped working for a brief period and the tacho needle would intermittently drop to the ready position. Throughout all this happening the car remained perfectly driveable, but it's literally like it was going haywire or having a hissy fit! After roughly 5 minutes of this the warnings ceased but the engine management/emissions light remained on in an amber state. Eventually this went out after a day or two and you wouldn't know anything had happened.

Anyway it went into the dealers under warranty and they traced the problem to a wire shorting out on some bracket. So they completely re-loomed and repackaged the wiring. Two weeks later coming back from a camping trip yesterday the problem returned in exactly the same manner.

So it's back to BMW. My car has just been recovered on the back of a flatbed outside my house to be taken to the same dealer who supposedly fixed the problem the first time. Getting a 5 series loaner being delivered any time now. Dunno what model, probably a 520d, but that should be interesting!

Just thought I'd share my experience for the benefit of anyone who has experienced similar. I'd be interested in your views. The problem now is, if my car ever does legitimately warn me of anything potentially catastrophic, I won't believe a word of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The liklihood is that the damaged wiring harness has 'blown' one of the ECUs on the car. Was the orignal fault a hard fault or intermittant before?

Unless it was really obvious I'm quite impressed that the dealership found the wiring fault as that certainly isn't the first thing that would srping to mind on a young car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

No error code was logged during the first incident. It was purely having a funny moment.

What I neglected to mention in my OP was that I sustained a frontal impact in August last year in an accident that wasn't my fault. The damage was assessed and repaired by BMW and was mainly cosmetic. I suspect this wiring harness issue could have been a result of that maybe.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Hi All! Just thought I'd update this thread for the benefit of anyone who has, or may experience a similar problem.

So the car went back to Snows BMW in Portsmouth. After a number of test drives they were unable to reproduce the problem, which comes as no surprise as it's one of those problems that lays dormant for days/weeks/months before rearing its ugly head.

The dealers weren't happy giving the car back at this point as we all knew sooner or later it would recur and we'd all be going round in circles yet again! So BMW technical got involved. After stripping out all the interior carpets (!!) they managed to discover that the main wire, which relays fault communications to the main ECU from all the various control centres around the car, had worn through it's insulation and was earthing out against the chassis. This caused all manner of false alarms/warnings/communications on virtually every system in the car to be emitted, which explained why the dash and iDrive lit up like a christmas tree. They then drove the car over 100 miles until they were satisfied it wouldn't return. Only time will tell I guess.

The car was delivered back to me last night with a full tank of diesel, valeted inside and out. I have to take my hat off to them. I'm impressed at their perseverance and how thorough they have been throughout this whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #5
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Setting aside how frustrating it must have been to have it happen in the first place, I would say "top marks" to Snows for their approach and thoroughness...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Rodents?
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Rodents?
Well, yes, maybe. I did ask the service guy assigned to me how on earth this could happen in a car so young, and a BMW at that. He didn't really have an answer.

Whilst I'm slightly disappointed, I still love the car. This is the only issue I've had with it in a year of ownership. It's otherwise been faultless!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #8
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Setting aside how frustrating it must have been to have it happen in the first place, I would say "top marks" to Snows for their approach and thoroughness...
They have been very good. It's where I bought the car so they already know it and its history. Whenever I've visited the customer service has always been top notch.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

I'm sure I had read on here of someone having a similar issue but they could trace it to a certain area near an airport and the conclusion was the wiring wasn't shielded enough to prevent interference.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Here you go

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=airport
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #11
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers for the link.

Interesting read, although I think two different incidents in this case.
My issue wasn't a complete shutdown like that OP thank goodness. Nor was it to do with moisture or damp, as described by another poster further down the thread. In each case, my problem happened in locations away from any interference (my street being one), and the second occurance well into a journey, so everything was at full operating temperature and, one would hope, dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
vorph
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers330d View Post
Hi All! Just thought I'd update this thread for the benefit of anyone who has, or may experience a similar problem.

So the car went back to Snows BMW in Portsmouth. After a number of test drives they were unable to reproduce the problem, which comes as no surprise as it's one of those problems that lays dormant for days/weeks/months before rearing its ugly head.

The dealers weren't happy giving the car back at this point as we all knew sooner or later it would recur and we'd all be going round in circles yet again! So BMW technical got involved. After stripping out all the interior carpets (!!) they managed to discover that the main wire, which relays fault communications to the main ECU from all the various control centres around the car, had worn through it's insulation and was earthing out against the chassis. This caused all manner of false alarms/warnings/communications on virtually every system in the car to be emitted, which explained why the dash and iDrive lit up like a christmas tree. They then drove the car over 100 miles until they were satisfied it wouldn't return. Only time will tell I guess.

The car was delivered back to me last night with a full tank of diesel, valeted inside and out. I have to take my hat off to them. I'm impressed at their perseverance and how thorough they have been throughout this whole thing.
Did they tell you which place B cable touch chassis? Found similar damage on someone else car, when installed wiring. He hasn't got any issues, but just in case I add extra isolation.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep

They didn't say exactly where, only that they had to remove the carpets to get to it. I've requested a written report on the problem found and action taken, so I can update this thread more precisely when I have that.
Appreciate 1
Kefka32.50
      08-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #14
ggoel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Hi, I am having some similar issues with my 2013 320d, As soon as a drive off the whole of control panel illuminates with bonnet open/ handbrake fail, drive train fault, transmission fault , but after driving around 3-5 miles when car is sufficiently warmed up, everything goes away. Got diagnostic done by a local garage and they have given 3 pages of fault codes with mostly being timeouts. but after reading this thread seems similar problem. Alas no more in warranty as almost 6 years old and having never given me trouble.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:11 AM   #15
ggoel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoel View Post
Hi, I am having some similar issues with my 2013 320d, As soon as a drive off the whole of control panel illuminates with bonnet open/ handbrake fail, drive train fault, transmission fault , but after driving around 3-5 miles when car is sufficiently warmed up, everything goes away. Got diagnostic done by a local garage and they have given 3 pages of fault codes with mostly being timeouts. but after reading this thread seems similar problem. Alas no more in warranty as almost 6 years old and having never given me trouble.
Taking again to my local garage today, hopefully he can find it where is the fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Failing battery can cause this type of thing. That said mine also had a wire get worn through to cause various shorting issues. Biggest problem would be sir in coming on full blast when car completely parked/locked up!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
Kenny_B123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 xdrive tourer

Any update guys to where the cable protection is poor.

I have a 335D x drive that I have loved for 4 years with no issue at all.. I have now had the second instance of the bonnet opened and airbag indicator and crazy engine management notifications. Any help to where the issue resides would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #18
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_B123 View Post
I have a 335D x drive that I have loved for 4 years with no issue at all.. I have now had the second instance of the bonnet opened and airbag indicator and crazy engine management notifications. Any help to where the issue resides would be greatly appreciated.
Could simply be the battery needs replacing. Modern BMW's REALLY get upset when the battery isn't 100%.

I know a chap with an E60 M5 that used to get all sorts of weird errors on the iDrive, and even having the engine cut out at random times. Car would restart fine afterwards, so the battery appeared to be good. His problems were all caused by the battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Kenny_B123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 xdrive tourer

Thanks, I suppose it’s a starting point. It does seem to be on damp days I had the issue, cold days seem to be ok. Hence why I was heading towards the cable protection. Any idea what voltage a good/new battery should be sitting at as the error come on prior to starting the engine. Thanks for your quick response.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #20
flylo
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

Hi, has anyone any further information on this, I have had this same problem twice now on engine start

drivetrain error
bonnet open
airbag fault
tpms failed
no speedo or rpm
no signal
and a long episode of lord of the gongs

after the engine has run for a bit and switched off and on it seems to clear itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:22 AM   #21
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Multiple faults like this are often caused by the CAN-Bus or one of the other busses in the car shorting to ground.
You'd need to see which bus is common to all of the modules reporting the random faults to narrow down the fault.
The bus will be a twisted pair in the loom
The loom to the transmission is worth checking as on some models this runs near the exhaust and if not properly clipped to the body after work has been done in this area it can burn through on the exhaust, intermittently shorting out the bus.

Look at this video

You really need a proper auto electrician to diagnose this, not a generic mechanic
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
flylo
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

thank you very much for your reply, man o man i need diagnose dan!

looks like i'll have to get a hire car for the time being though
Appreciate 0