F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Brexit... (Moderator: non-political only, effective Sept 2020)
ARMA SPEED

08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #1475
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I see that the Labour 'master plan' is to vote JC in as PM. The least popular leader of a UK party at the moment. Quite why he thinks anyone will go for that is beyond me.

If that is the best that remainers can come up with, we really are screwed.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #1476
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
I see that the Labour 'master plan' is to vote JC in as PM. The least popular leader of a UK party at the moment. Quite why he thinks anyone will go for that is beyond me.

I think the plan to have a temp govt to stop a no deal has some legs, but Tory rebels wont back JC as temp PM. They may back Jo Swinson however... but would Labour agree to that?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #1477
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

Yes but it would only be for 10 days (honest) Corbyn's master plan shows you just how absurd the whole situation is.

Boris trying to drag us out of the door, whilst the rest of them argue about a government of national disunity.

Meanwhile the media have completely lost the plot, as on Newsnight last night they discussed "emergency airfreight" with the "expert" reporter telling the viewers that the plan is to fly in lorries (not lorry loads, actual lorries) on Russian planes 4 at a time.

All we need now is Comical Ali down at Dover saying there will be no delays and we can call house.
      08-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #1478
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I have just had the joy of writing the Brexit update for the external auditors in Singapore (they need something to show that we arent going to fall over and go bust as a result...). I have pretty much managed to give them last years, a sad indictment of how little has changed in the last year in reality...
Which might read as "don't worry, the pound will be so low that foreigners will be pouring into London (ironic eh) and our hotels, plus Brits won't be a able to afford to leave so London will be the city break of choice for us too."

Even before the looming disaster I got 1.06 euros to the pound this morning for my hols in France for the next two weeks,
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #1479
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Which might read as "don't worry, the pound will be so low that foreigners will be pouring into London (ironic eh) and our hotels, plus Brits won't be a able to afford to leave so London will be the city break of choice for us too."

Even before the looming disaster I got 1.06 euros to the pound this morning for my hols in France for the next two weeks,
well, we get a lot of money from companies sending staff to London on business, they may send less or make them stay in less nice hotels if no deal occurs. Although we have major accounts with a couple of big consultancies who will no doubt do well out of any need to restructure businesses...

Biggest problem we will have will be staff. London is very multicultural and lots of people come to London for a working break - and customer roles in hotels are a good place to work if you are multilingual and customer oriented

But yes, there are worse industries to be in at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #1480
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I think the plan to have a temp govt to stop a no deal has some legs, but Tory rebels wont back JC as temp PM. They may back Jo Swinson however... but would Labour agree to that?
Saw an interview with Chuka Umunna on Newsnight last night in which he suggested 10 to 15 Labour MP's wouldn't vote to install Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister. Therefore, assuming he's right, potentially we have a situation in which some Conservative MP's may vote against their own government in a vote of no confidence (to try to defeat a no deal Brexit) whilst at the same time some Labour opposition MP's won't support the no confidence motion because they don't want their own leader as PM, even on a temporary basis!

I'm not sure how much of this to believe given defying a three line whip from your party on a no confidence motion would probably be career ending; however, that such things are being talked about at all says much about the current state of our politics...
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18751.50
      08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1481
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Might add that as an addendum to the paper - how can we plan for anything when this seems to be where we are at!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1482
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:

Experts suggest Jeremy Corbyn would be an excellent caretaker, as he dresses like one and has a track record of sweeping things under the carpet.
(courtesy of Have I Got News For You)
      08-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #1483
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can anyone fill me in on the logic of this proposed temporary gov of national unity.
The goal being to stop a no deal Brexit, that I get. But then what? What does that fix? We carry on extending Brexit indefinitely every 6 months? Kicking the can down the road infinitum?

Surely the best approach to stop a no deal Brexit is for all the 'anti no deal' MP's to gather round with Brussels and negotiate a sensible 'deal'. Then to come back and force a vote on the two options?

I guess my flaw in thinking this is a simple plan, is that many of the 'anti no deal' members are really 'we don't want brexit' types. So they'll never agree to any kind of Brexit. But their own foolishness forces a hard Brexit. :
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #1484
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Can anyone fill me in on the logic of this proposed temporary gov of national unity.
The goal being to stop a no deal Brexit, that I get. But then what? What does that fix? We carry on extending Brexit indefinitely every 6 months? Kicking the can down the road infinitum?

Surely the best approach to stop a no deal Brexit is for all the 'anti no deal' MP's to gather round with Brussels and negotiate a sensible 'deal'. Then to come back and force a vote on the two options?

I guess my flaw in thinking this is a simple plan, is that many of the 'anti no deal' members are really 'we don't want brexit' types. So they'll never agree to any kind of Brexit. But their own foolishness forces a hard Brexit. :
I think the cunning plan is for a Government of National Unity (GNU) to agree an extension with the EU pending the result of a General Election and then potentially a further referendum.

Chances are the EU will say "yes" to the extension request on the basis it opens-up the possibility of Brexit being reversed (which is obviously what they really want). Worst case scenario for them is Boris gets re-elected at the GE but that only leaves them where they are now (i.e. needing to revisit the terms of the WA if they want a deal or accept a no deal Brexit if they don't). However, if Boris is ousted and a pro-Remain government is returned we're looking at either a further referendum or, depending on the manifesto of the government that's been elected, possibly even a straight revoke of A50.

Therefore, the EU have nothing to lose and everything to gain by granting a further extension to a GNU; the question is will the current government lose a vote of no confidence and if it does will it be possible to form a GNU to replace it? And of course all this needs to happen within a relatively tight timescale...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #1485
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I think the cunning plan is for a Government of National Unity (GNU) to agree an extension with the EU pending the result of a General Election and then potentially a further referendum.

Chances are the EU will say "yes" to the extension request on the basis it opens-up the possibility of Brexit being reversed (which is obviously what they really want). Worst case scenario for them is Boris gets re-elected at the GE but that only leaves them where they are now (i.e. needing to revisit the terms of the WA if they want a deal or accept a no deal Brexit if they don't). However, if Boris is ousted and a pro-Remain government is returned we're looking at either a further referendum or, depending on the manifesto of the government that's been elected, possibly even a straight revoke of A50.

Therefore, the EU have nothing to lose and everything to gain by granting a further extension to a GNU; the question is will the current government lose a vote of no confidence and if it does will it be possible to form a GNU to replace it? And of course all this needs to happen within a relatively tight timescale...
I agree entirely.

My assumption is that Boris would lose a vote of No Confidence, Corbyn would try and fail to form a GNU, and then some New Labour type would be chosen at the last minute and succeed to form a GNU.

Interesting times...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #1486
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I agree entirely.

My assumption is that Boris would lose a vote of No Confidence, Corbyn would try and fail to form a GNU, and then some New Labour type would be chosen at the last minute and succeed to form a GNU.

Interesting times...
Apart from there are very few new labour types left in parliament as Momentum want them out....

If they want go down this route,I think the leader of the interim govt has to be from outside the big 2 parties...and clearly not UKIP or Brexit Party.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #1487
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I agree entirely.

Interesting times...
Apart from there are very few new labour types left in parliament as Momentum want them out....

If they want go down this route,I think the leader of the interim govt has to be from outside the big 2 parties...and clearly not UKIP or Brexit Party.
Jo.

Or perhaps not a party leader at all...

Chuka.

Either of them would be a sight better than Boris or Jeremy.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:00 AM   #1488
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If JC gets in I'm moving back to Singapore!
Having lived there for a number of years the low crime rate does make for a very nice place to live. Live and play by the rules all good, step out of line and yes punishment may be harsher but so be it.

Yes there is a freedom of speech deficit but for an expat quality of life is good and quite often I wish our Government showed a bit more backbone on things.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:43 AM   #1489
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Having lived there for a number of years the low crime rate does make for a very nice place to live. Live and play by the rules all good, step out of line and yes punishment may be harsher but so be it.

Yes there is a freedom of speech deficit but for an expat quality of life is good and quite often I wish our Government showed a bit more backbone on things.
May possibly have spent yesterday with a bunch of guys with contacts out there getting ready to do the same if needed....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #1490
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

May possibly have spent yesterday with a bunch of guys with contacts out there getting ready to do the same if needed....
Buying a M5 with Singapore taxes would be a pension fund killer luckily no need to drive.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #1491
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMB View Post
Buying a M5 with Singapore taxes would be a pension fund killer luckily no need to drive.
Yep, my boss was telling me very few have engines bigger than 1.6... car would stay here for the 90 days i am allowed back! I still dont reckon it will happen but...
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #1492
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
What's driving Brexit? From here it looks like it's probably the Duke of Edinburgh.

Source: Milton Jones, 2019 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 03:14 AM   #1493
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
What's driving Brexit? From here it looks like it's probably the Duke of Edinburgh.

[SIZE="1"]Source: Milton Jones, 2019 Edinburgh Fringe Festival.[/SIZE]
yeh, the DoE - blindfolded and handcuffed
      08-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #1494
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Are we there yet?.....
      08-21-2019, 01:59 AM   #1495
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Are we there yet?.....
Not yet, uncle Boris is driving and you know what he's like.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #1496
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Not yet, uncle Boris is driving and you know what he's like.
Uncle Boris has put 4 kitchen chairs together, has a Tomy my first steering wheel and is making brrm brrm noises and telling us everything is ok and we'll be there soon.
Appreciate 1