F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I've ordered a Tesla - am I mad?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #111
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
We've done 37k in 2.5 years in the Tesla, at 25mpg thats £8000+ extra in just fuel costs, add in servicing its not an insignificant amount of £££ to burn on just running a car.

Unless your pockets are really deep running costs do matter, and people do care. Otherwise everyone would be driving around in a M5!
I’m not rich. But life is about experiences. If we wanted to save money then we would be driving Fiestas or Dacias. You will lose 30k on a Tesla in 3 years, maybe more. Petrol isn’t the biggest cost. And for me it’s worth it.

As more cars go electric expect electricity costs to soar due to supply and demand. And heaven forbid what impact lithium mining has... ��

It’s coming because it suits politicians. It’s not the real solution. I’ll stick with my dinosaur, take the cost and watch from the touchlines as the goalposts move in the next 5 years...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 08-17-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #112
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanchurch View Post
This one sorry!
Why can't all the people who want to talk Tesla please go do it on a Tesla board. This forum is for BMW conversations.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #113
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Why can't all the people who want to talk Tesla please go do it on a Tesla board. This forum is for BMW conversations.
It’s a forum. It’s about discussing relevant stuff. Like it or not, Tesla are now a competitor to BMW. It makes it sensible to discuss them on a bmw forum.

I drive an Audi (till Monday) - should we not be allowed to talk about them either? If you send them all packing to talk elsewhere they won’t get the message to buy BMW next time...
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #114
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
It’s a forum. It’s about discussing relevant stuff. Like it or not, Tesla are now a competitor to BMW. It makes it sensible to discuss them on a bmw forum.

I drive an Audi (till Monday) - should we not be allowed to talk about them either? If you send them all packing to talk elsewhere they won’t get the message to buy BMW next time...
I agree. The thread title makes the content pretty clear. No need to read it if you don't want to. There's BMW context in that I already have an F31 and there are BMW alternatives to the Tesla, at least in terms of ICE comparable vehicles. It would be a pretty boring forum if we were banned from mentioning other brands or cars.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #115
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
As more cars go electric expect electricity costs to soar due to supply and demand.
I do hope so - we generate a couple of hundred times the amount we use, so I could use the profits to pay for an M5!

Even though it would suit me, I’m not convinced that electricity costs will rise significantly. Particularly for EVs which can charge overnight while other demand is low - wholesale power prices tend to be pretty low at night.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #116
ashenfie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Auto 320d

Quote:
Am amazed any one in their right mind would even think about wasting £50k on a Cayman when even Porsche has pretty much made it clear their future is EVs, with their EV out soon.

£50k for a Performance Model 3 is frankly a bargain when you compare the real world performance on offer versus a M3/AMG and factor in the running costs.
I think ultimately free charging for eclectic cars will go along with government grants. Then the true costs will be evident.

On the bright side all those German britexit scare mongers May have shot them selves in the foot if we get a us trade deal and hard exit from the EU
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #117
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
I think ultimately free charging for eclectic cars will go along with government grants. Then the true costs will be evident.

On the bright side all those German britexit scare mongers May have shot them selves in the foot if we get a us trade deal and hard exit from the EU
I only charge our EV on occasions at free public chargers, the majority of our charging is done at home, at a cost of 2.5p per mile.

A Model 3 is much more efficient than our X, fuel costs will be under 2p per mile, may even hit 1.5p per mile if you have a light right foot.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:22 AM   #118
ashenfie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Auto 320d

Quote:
I only charge our EV on occasions at free public chargers, the majority of our charging is done at home, at a cost of 2.5p per mile.

A Model 3 is much more efficient than our X, fuel costs will be under 2p per mile, may even hit 1.5p per mile if you have a light right foot.
Nice to know , that's compare to my fuel cost of 10p a mile
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #119
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
Nice to know , that's compare to my fuel cost of 10p a mile
One of the magazine's I was reading reckoned electricity cost 6p per mile for whichever vacuum cleaner they were driving....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #120
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Tested the 3 at Solihull. Tried to like it, but the whole experience was poor. Personal view but the build quality was crap and the nvh was worse.

Was very quick, but just doesn’t work for me. I need consistently above 220 miles range a couple of times a week without having to wait in a queue for a charger on the way home.

Really wanted to like it and if the build quality and interior cabin had been better I may have got over my range anxiety. For the other half who does 8k a year and will just turn up the radio, it’s a good fit and she may get one, or the jag.

EV is definitely in my future but not this generation. Will be continuing in an oil burner for at least another generation.
      08-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #121
Sam77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Gran Coupe. Gone: E92

We've just ordered a model 3 too.
My wife is on a company car scheme and it made perfect sense- her 1series was costing about £200 a month in tax, from April next year that drops to £30 a month with the model 3. Absolute no brainer!!
I agree it doesn't feel as premium as a bmw, but the tech is very cool. Looking forward to getting it!
I don't think we'll have a problem with range. My wife only does 20/30 miles a day and there are chargers at her work. If she needs to go further she can take my 440.
I think with the model 3 and the 440 GC we've got the best of both worlds!
Also- for info she's been quoted 12 weeks deliver by her company car provider, not sure if that's reflective of the retail lead times though.
Also the company car providers don't like Tesla- there's no service and maintenance to make money on, and Tesla will only deal direct with end users, which reading between the lines- really frustrates the company car providers!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:14 AM   #122
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

I thought getting a Model 3 would mean no more car tax - wrong.

Whereas you may not actually pay car tax, they all cost over £40k (as they include the £3500 rebate & delivery costs in the calculation) so that means £310 for 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:21 AM   #123
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

Correction, the 'premium tax' as it's known has gone up to £320/year.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #124
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

Some mis-information here on electricity costs. I know Tesla used to give free access to their superchargers if you bought a Model S or X and indeed still use this as an offer to encourage sales. However for the rest of us we need to pay. If you sign up with Polar for £8 a month you get “free” access to their low power charges (3 or 7kws). While this is OK to find a free parking slot in Waitrose, you are not going to get much juice in the time it takes to do the weekly shop. It does also give you access to their high power charges (50 and 100 kWh) so you can top up on a long journey but these are not “free”. Charging from home offers full price electricity at 15 to 18p a kWh. However you can also use Economy 7 to charge overnight at 5-8p per kWh and indeed some suppliers are now offering an EV rate between 21:30 and 07:30 during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday at 8p.

Now if you drive like a nun going to church you should get 3 miles per kWh - so the fuel costs per mile range from 1.7p through to 6p if you use full price electricity so vastly cheaper than petrol or the devil’s fuel!

We also have solar panels and so far in 2 months of ownership 40% of the car’s electrical requirements have been supplied from the roof for free! I appreciate this will fall away in winter but most of our driving is done in he summer, so even if I drive like a loon, my costs per mile are unlikely to exceed 4p per mile.

What’s not to like?

oh and I can drive into London for free!
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #125
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
Some mis-information here on electricity costs. I know Tesla used to give free access to their superchargers if you bought a Model S or X and indeed still use this as an offer to encourage sales. However for the rest of us we need to pay. If you sign up with Polar for £8 a month you get “free” access to their low power charges (3 or 7kws). While this is OK to find a free parking slot in Waitrose, you are not going to get much juice in the time it takes to do the weekly shop. It does also give you access to their high power charges (50 and 100 kWh) so you can top up on a long journey but these are not “free”. Charging from home offers full price electricity at 15 to 18p a kWh. However you can also use Economy 7 to charge overnight at 5-8p per kWh and indeed some suppliers are now offering an EV rate between 21:30 and 07:30 during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday at 8p.

Now if you drive like a nun going to church you should get 3 miles per kWh - so the fuel costs per mile range from 1.7p through to 6p if you use full price electricity so vastly cheaper than petrol or the devil’s fuel!

We also have solar panels and so far in 2 months of ownership 40% of the car’s electrical requirements have been supplied from the roof for free! I appreciate this will fall away in winter but most of our driving is done in he summer, so even if I drive like a loon, my costs per mile are unlikely to exceed 4p per mile.

What’s not to like?

oh and I can drive into London for free!
What's not to like...

in no particular order...

the interior...

the build quality

the lack of theatre / emotion in their performance - its not all about the what, some is about the sensation...

having to stop to recharge - or ask my Mum for "fuel" whilst I am visiting her (or other friends..)

the looks...

Apart from that I would nearly be a convert - if it wasnt for the fact that I will have to have an electric car one day so now I am going to have what I want whilst I still can...

oh, and I imagine once they get common (and they will), a few of those things above will mean poor residuals...

But otherwise a good effort.

Edited to add - trains and public transport and your feet are the best ways to get around London. By bringing another car in you add to the congestion for others and cause more pollution in total even if your car isnt creating it (but they dont mention that!) and of course lithium mining is destroying lives...
Appreciate 3
tjlees349.00
harvs43114.00
      08-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #126
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

... and tesla's reliability from 3-8 years is really bad and not that great for new ones - repairs are also measured in days rather than hours.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #127
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

Quote:
What's not to like...

in no particular order...

the interior...

Seems a nicer place to be than our old "Luxury" F31

the build quality

Nothing wrong with our Austrian assembled car!

the lack of theatre / emotion in their performance - its not all about the what, some is about the sensation...

I suspect you like steam trains as well!

having to stop to recharge - or ask my Mum for "fuel" whilst I am visiting her (or other friends..)

I have done 240 miles in a single day on a single charge - who wants to drive further? Oh unless you work for Amazon on delivery...

the looks...

Prettier surely than the new 3 series and vastly prettier than the obscenely ugly 7s or X5s....

Apart from that I would nearly be a convert - if it wasnt for the fact that I will have to have an electric car one day so now I am going to have what I want whilst I still can...

oh, and I imagine once they get common (and they will), a few of those things above will mean poor residuals...

Not surely as bad as the poor residuals on BMWs and particularly diesels.... Also electric car sales have a long way to go before they have a significant share of the UK market and in the meantime, the financially challenged will want secondhand ones thus supporting residuals (look at the price of used Leafs!)

But otherwise a good effort.

Edited to add - trains and public transport and your feet are the best ways to get around London. By bringing another car in you add to the congestion for others and cause more pollution in total even if your car isnt creating it (but they dont mention that!) and of course lithium mining is destroying lives...
Nonsense, it is providing work for the poor inhabitants of the Congo
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #128
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
Nonsense, it is providing work for the poor inhabitants of the Congo
I cant stand the ipad in the middle, I'm not sure a 3 series is the last word in luxury, I will compare it to my Q5....

Steam trains had their place, still do for some. Currently I quite fancy a V8 twin turbo with an M Performance exhaust, before some environmentalist says I cant.

I do sometimes drive more than 240 miles in a day - as its 260 to see family back home if I return on same day. If I stay over I either need charge overnight or on way back - both not ideal. Youngsters jokingly say how soon is too soon to politely ask for a wifi password when visiting people, the same will soon be asked of charging points....

Looks are always subjective, I like the Model X, can tolerate the S and find the 3 (in low trims as seen in London) cheap looking... New BMWs are not a great comparator I will give you that, but there are people out there making electric cars look good (the iPace and the e-tron are both better looking in my opinion). And a 5 series in a different league (for now...)

As for the environmental impact of electric cars, have a read of this.... and when you are in London look how many exempt cars are causing traffic congestion leading to non exempt vehicles like delivery trucks and emergency vehicles that HAVE to be in London spewing out fumes....

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact

So thanks, but lots for me not to like currently..
Appreciate 1
harvs43114.00
      08-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #129
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Interesting article in the Independent about the difficulty of making a 300 mile journey in an EV (an e-Golf):

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9056226.html
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      08-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #130
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I went into the Tesla store in MK yesterday (I was there anyhow so thought I'd pop in). Odd experience. I hung around about 40 mins playing with the tech in the Model 3. In that time, there wasn't a single Tesla representative in attendance. It was like the Marie Celeste. It certainly is a different sales model!

As to the car, I was a bit concerned about a few things. Firstly, the interior was not in a good state. The white seats were badly discoloured, the centre console trim was scratched and slightly misaligned, the trim on the B pillar was falling off, and the bottoms of the front seats were a bit mangled with people scuffing them with their feet when sitting in the rear. Judging by the volume of passers-by wandering past and letting their kids run wild on the cars, it's perhaps not surprising that there's some wear and tear, but nonetheless it's not confidence inspiring.

Worst of all though was the driver's door. It was hard to open and close since the hinges had dropped. It was quite visible seeing the drop as you opened it - a good 5mm I'd say.

Even ignoring the cosmetic damage though, a closer look at the interior from a perceived build quality perspective made pretty clear that it's not up to BMW standards. More flex in the trim, harder surfaces, door closing sounds more hollow (reminded me of the E85 Z4), non adjustable headrest, bland plastics on the steering wheel,...

I'm not cancelling (again) just yet, but I have to say that I'm somewhat concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #131
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

My mate has had his a week in now. Had an issue with the Brake Fluid saying low from Delivery, however after a top up it seems OK. He said much the same with the dealers, here's a video to watch on how to use the car, here's the cards (key) sir, now bugger off we've got some more to deliver.

We detailed it last Thursday, giving me a good look round the car. The quality whilst is OK definitely isn't worth the price tag they put on these things. The AWD Long Range that he's got is £48k plus the £5k for Auto Pilot and i'd say a Ford/Vauxhall has a similar finish/quality control....

The Front bumper from delivery has 3 marks on it, the front and rear bumper is badly painted IMO. There's no locking wheel nuts on the wheels. Pan Roof doesn't have a sunblind, and the Auto Wipers seem a bit erratic. Does High Beam assist but no fancy dancing lights like BMW (Which you'd thought it would?!)

But at the end of the day you're paying for the EV and tech. But yeah I'd be interested to see what it's like in a few years. But 4 year/50k warranty to me on the car seems poor, i'd I'd be interested to see anyone trying to make a claim on the motor/battery warranty at year 8 or 120k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:58 AM   #132
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
... and tesla's reliability from 3-8 years is really bad and not that great for new ones - repairs are also measured in days rather than hours.
HaHa, do you own a BMW?? My old 335i is still the only car I ever owned thats left me stranded at the side of the road.
Appreciate 0