F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
ARMA SPEED

01-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #45
tsims619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I had the whistle on the driver side, took it into the dealership a couple of times with them claiming it was normal. After the third time and requesting a ride along with a tech, the tech confirmed the noise and assured me he was personally going to work on my car. 2 days later they notified me of the trimming being wrapped causing air to leak in. That resolved that problem but personally I think the vehicle still has excessive wind noise on highway speed. Can't confirm if it's a defect but eh. I rather deal with it then deal with the ignorance of a service rep. Hope y'all get your situation addressed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #46
tsims619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Typo warped not wrapped
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #47
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
I took it to my dealer and the shop foreman told me that there is no defect in the car and its likely to be from the size of the side mirrors. Although I can't agree with that, I have to say it is possible, specially in combination with aerodynamics (Shape of the mirror and position etc.) At any rate, it seems like a design flaw.
So while I was in the dealership getting my windshield wipers problem fixed, I mentioned that the wind noise was excessive at higher speeds. my dealer contacted BMW HQ and was told to order new mirror covers. Seems there is a design change after all. I wont get them installed until 1 Feb but I will post back if I hear any improvement.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #48
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30, 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
So while I was in the dealership getting my windshield wipers problem fixed, I mentioned that the wind noise was excessive at higher speeds. my dealer contacted BMW HQ and was told to order new mirror covers. Seems there is a design change after all. I wont get them installed until 1 Feb but I will post back if I hear any improvement.
This is one of the best replies I have seen... Please keep us posted, specialy on the part number if it fixes the issue.
      01-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #49
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
Update: Dealer service dept had a more experienced tech ride with me again this morning, and found out the wind noise is coming from the car sun roof. Let's see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
Problem Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealer adujust the sun roof from my car by 2mm. The wind noise is gone completely!!
Sharp, what were your symptoms specifically, where did the wind noise sound as if it was coming from, was there any whistle or just wind noise, what speed did it appear to start, what did it sound like...

And then, what did they do to your sun roof, was it a poor seal? Are you able to get a job sheet to find out specifics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
This is one of the best replies I have seen... Please keep us posted, specialy on the part number if it fixes the issue.
This is interesting. Are you also able to take pictures of current and then new ones?

cheers.
      01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #50
bksting28
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB 328i Sport

Wind Noise

Well, I don't even have a sunroof and the whistling noise is present. Definitely from mirror air flow. Not a huge deal, but a bit disconcerting when it's a brand new car. I was able to stop the whistle by placing my hand out window covering grooves between mirror and body while driving (for a short distance - couldn't drive like that for long)...so it seems that's where it originates.

If you find that the new mirror covers do some good....let us all know!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #51
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep

I will take some pictures before and after. I noticed on some of the dealer's paperwork that they had taken a photo with a protractor in between the mirror and body.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #52
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
I will take some pictures before and after. I noticed on some of the dealer's paperwork that they had taken a photo with a protractor in between the mirror and body.
Are these new mirror housings available as standard on new-builds, or is it just a fix for those who complain?

I've taken my car on the motorway and hit some good speeds and have not noticed any undue amount of wind noise. But then I had the HK on full blast listening to Verdi and Wagner.
      01-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #53
Radari216
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

It seems that road and wind noise at speed are still being reported. Here is a quote from www.whatcar.com.

"High-speed refinement could be better, too. There's a fair amount of road noise on coarse surfaces and too much wind noise on the motorway."

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013...-review/264990
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #54
normsbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

just got my car back from service regarding this will post some pics of the report that alleviated the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #55
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Are these new mirror housings available as standard on new-builds, or is it just a fix for those who complain?

I've taken my car on the motorway and hit some good speeds and have not noticed any undue amount of wind noise. But then I had the HK on full blast listening to Verdi and Wagner.

Seriously bro, why did you think you can hear it with the loud music? I mean we didn't say there is hole in the windshield!
      01-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #56
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normsbimmer View Post
just got my car back from service regarding this will post some pics of the report that alleviated the issue.
Not sure what they did for you, but so far I have seen a dozen ways dealers have "tried" to fix the issue. I think dealers are just doing something to make owners think its fixed and get rid of them... Those include, adjusting windows, adjusting sunroof, replacing windshield, replacing seals, etc.

If those really fixed your problem,We might be talking bout different issues.

I can roll my windows down I can clearly hear excessive noise made by the mirrors. It goes away if I cover the space between the mirror and the body.
      01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Pictures?

The wind buffeting noise coming from both front windows is really annoying for me. I've taken it in twice for this and both times the SA says it's "normal".

If there really are redesigned mirror covers that reduce the noise, I've love to see them and know that they exist!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep

I dont have my appt until 1 Feb
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #59
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I wonder... someone code their car to be able to drive with their mirrors faced up and see the noise dissappears. :P
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #60
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX View Post
I wonder... someone code their car to be able to drive with their mirrors faced up and see the noise dissappears. :P
That's an excellent idea!

I looked through the FEM_BODY values and found the likely setting. It's currently set to open the mirrors at 40 km/h, or 25 mph.

I'll give it a try when I get a chance and report the results here. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #61
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

I heard what I thought was a window not completely closed shortly after purchasing our 335 M Sport. I was on the passenger side when I first became aware of it and before I read anything about it.

I mentioned the wind noise to our dealer when we brought our car in for another problem. They did not acknowledge that there was a problem with excessive wind noise on the F30. I'll again mention it to our dealer and ask them to check on it when our car is scheduled to be brought in for the other problem at the end of the month.

I suspect that the problem of excessive noise is due to the design of the mirrors in the F30 series, but just a guess. It is not a big issue with me and my suggestion is not to have anything done until a known design flaw or manufacturer defect is documented with BMW. In my long time experience with things like this, any attempts to fix an unknown entity can make the problem worse not better.
      01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #62
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
I went from E92 to F30 and experience no such issue.

In fact, the interior cabin noise is almost mute compared to my two E92s I used to drive. I am actually really impressed with the improved soundproofing they've done.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #63
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post

I looked through the FEM_BODY values and found the likely setting. It's currently set to open the mirrors at 40 km/h, or 25 mph.

This would be nice
      01-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #64
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Be safe Frogman! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, I coded the mirrors so that they can be folded in or out at any speed. I took a drive on a smooth, flat 55mph road with no traffic on it.

With the mirrors out at 55 mph, I get a definite wooshing / buffeting sound from the area of the A-pillar. It's really hard to isolate exactly where it's coming from, but it is not road / tire noise.

Unfortunately, when I fold the mirrors in at 55 mph, the sound gets worse! It's louder with a slightly higher pitch and a more complex sounding wooshing sound. Folding the mirrors back out returns the sound to normal.

I guess it just proves that you actually can make the mirrors aerodynamically worse if you try hard enough.

At least I'm now pretty sure it is the mirrors are making the noise and not the door seals, side windows, or the windshield. If BMW actually does have new mirror caps and/or assemblies to address the wind noise, maybe there is hope that they noise level can be reduced.

Another thought: Anyone brave enough to completely remove the entire mirror assembly and see if that stops the noise? (Not me!)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #66
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I coded the mirrors so that they can be folded in or out at any speed. I took a drive on a smooth, flat 55mph road with no traffic on it.

With the mirrors out at 55 mph, I get a definite wooshing / buffeting sound from the area of the A-pillar. It's really hard to isolate exactly where it's coming from, but it is not road / tire noise.

Unfortunately, when I fold the mirrors in at 55 mph, the sound gets worse! It's louder with a slightly higher pitch and a more complex sounding wooshing sound. Folding the mirrors back out returns the sound to normal.

I guess it just proves that you actually can make the mirrors aerodynamically worse if you try hard enough.

At least I'm now pretty sure it is the mirrors are making the noise and not the door seals, side windows, or the windshield. If BMW actually does have new mirror caps and/or assemblies to address the wind noise, maybe there is hope that they noise level can be reduced.

Another thought: Anyone brave enough to completely remove the entire mirror assembly and see if that stops the noise? (Not me!)
This is actually good news. People with wind noise just have to deal with it; it is a design flaw. Mirrors are mostly the cause here and most likely NOT the seals.
Appreciate 0