F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Conventional pressure operated wastegates on the N55
Studio RSR

01-10-2022, 06:45 AM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Excellent write up and Jah bless for pulling your turbos so many times to upgrade and repair.
Trinidad or Jamaica?
      01-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Correct, it's normally open and vacuum pulls it closed when boost is needed. But the OP is testing out using traditional wastegate actuators, where the gate is held shut with a spring and boost pressure opens the gate. For the testing, he connected the boost solenoid to boost pressure from the chargepipe instead of to the vacuum pump, and installed traditional pressure driven wastegate actuators. So basically converting from oem vacuum control to traditional pressure control. Only he didn't use the oem boost solenoid. Without digging too much into the details, it seems one could do this with the oem boost solenoid as well, so I was asking if there was a reason why the oem solenoid wouldn't work for this.
Are you going to try this on the stock turbo? Curious to see what happens...
      01-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #25
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Are you going to try this on the stock turbo? Curious to see what happens...
No, I was thinking for stage 3 kits that come with off-the-shelf turbos that come standard with the traditional normally closed pressure driven wastegates. I don't really like the idea of adding a seperate boost controller, so I was interested in ways to use the DME to control boost with such a turbo. But I just found out the kit I'm interested in comes with a bracket to mount the bmw vacuum wastegate actuator to, so you can use the oem vacuum boost control scheme to control the turbo😀
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 10:26 PM   #26
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Somewhat on topic:

How would you plumb a mac solenoid on an externally wastegated turbo that's replacing a stock electronic wastegated turbo?

Single port, dual port, or triple port?

Would the DME still be able to control boost accurately?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #27
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

OP, are you still running a conventional pressure driven wastegate with this pierburg boost solenoid and direct DME wastegate control (no boost controllers)?

WOT is good with this setup, but how's intermediate throttle when the DME is calling for less boost than spring pressure provides? Are you getting any codes, or part-throttle drivability issues with this setup? Is that pierburg solenoid holding up okay?

I'm on the cusp of getting a turbo kit set up for external wastegate, and I'm trying to decide between running the external wastegate with this pierburg solenoid and DME (no controller) like you did in this thread, or modifying the kit to run an internally gated turbo fitted with a vacuum actuator like oem. It's a daily driver, so I value drivability, reliability, and trouble-free (code-free) operation.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0