F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock 2015 335i -- CEL -- 104301, 101F01 (**RESOLVED**)
Studio RSR

01-15-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

Exclamation Stock 2015 335i -- CEL -- 104301, 101F01 (**RESOLVED**)

Car is completely stock (48k mileage) and threw a CEL with these 2 codes in ISTA today after normal driving around town. Think it came on at engine start up.

Reset the codes. Drove to the store with no issues. Turned off engine. Shopped. Came back to car. Started engine. CEL back with the same 2 codes.

DME 104301 Absolute pressure sensor, intake pipe, plausibility, after-run: Pressure too high

DME 101F01 Air mass system, plausibility: calculated air masses in the air intake system not plausible

Did some research and it seems like cause is undetermined. Appears mostly tuned cars are getting these codes but mine is stock. Possible charge pipe issue? Don't see or hear any leaks. Maybe I need to remove TMAP and clean?

Attached screenshots of code Details & System context page from ISTA.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctbear; 07-27-2021 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Charge pipe can fail even on a stock car so i would start there. It usually cracks then blows at the top near the TB.

Also, it looks like the code is for the MAP on the CP no the one after the TB? Ive never heard of cleaning those, only the MAF.

How confident are you on the cars history - any chance it had mods before? Its unlikely a stock car that has never been touched has a leak, but if was modded and reverted back to stock a leak is more likely.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
When my charge pipe blew right at the intake manifold, I had no CEL even after restarting. Seems odd that it didn't.
      01-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

I inspected the entire air intake line (from above and below) starting from the air filter box and couldn't find any leak (had someone revving inside the vehicle as well). I went ahead and removed the MAF and MAP to clean (they did not appear to be dirty). Vacuumed the engine air filter a little (new one on order). So far the codes have not returned this time since I've reset them after performing these tasks.

I did notice there was a little bit of oily residue on the bottom side of the charge pipe where it connects to the throttle body. Looks like it's residue from blowby.
I inserted my boroscope through the MAP hole on the chargepipe to inspect the inside of the charge pipe and the throttle body, which looked surprisingly clean to me. Barely any carbon or residue build up.
No visible crack or breakage on the chargepipe.

I am absolutely confident that this car has remained stock its entire life as I purchased it as a CPO with barely 30k miles from the 1st owner: late middle aged Asian mom

Here's a picture from below looking up at the bottom side of the chargepipe to throttle body connection. Note the blowby residue.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctbear; 01-17-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Check your intake inlet. The part that connects from the intake down into the turbo.. mine cracked on a stock car and it threw a code.

I also had charge pipe blow off on stock car.
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:15 AM   #6
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Check your intake inlet. The part that connects from the intake down into the turbo.. mine cracked on a stock car and it threw a code.

I also had charge pipe blow off on stock car.
The intake inlet you are referring to which connects down into the turbo is of a thicker rubber hose construction right? It cracked?

I will check that portion more carefully. Didn't notice anything the first time I checked.

Same codes came back today after some driving
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
The intake inlet you are referring to which connects down into the turbo is of a thicker rubber hose construction right? It cracked?

I will check that portion more carefully. Didn't notice anything the first time I checked.

Same codes came back today after some driving
No, the turbo inlet starts with the accordion looking plastic that claims over the intake, then it drops down and connects to the turbo on the other side. Its basically the final piece of the intake system that goes from the intake tube (where the MAF is located) to the turbo. Its brittle and can crack, especially since it is on the same side as the turbo/manifold/DP, although its less common since its not under pressure like the CP.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
TOMF30N55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive 6mt

Also had 101F01 after VVT motor and ecc shaft replacement

Solution: my mechanic replaced the boost solenoid and so far so good! He also found a boost leak on the inlet pipe (MST hose from turbo to intake tube) as well as a fucking ziptie holding the charge pipe to the FMIC from the wack mechanic who worked on my car before the current mechanic (shoutout to Kings Automotive in Bloomingdale, NJ). He reset adaptations for me several times, wasnt going away. Did a smoke test and fixed said boost leaks. Installed new boost solenoid and so far no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #9
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE:

There was no boost leak. The issue is with a "dirty" intake manifold pressure sensor (the one after the throttle body) not the pressure sensor on the charge pipe (boost/charging pressure sensor). I simply cleaned the sensor off with some crc maf cleaner to resolve the problem.

It took me a while, but I finally found the time and figured out how to fully take advantage of and utilize ISTA to properly diagnose the issue to resolve this.

Pre cleaning - live ISTA sensor feeds showed intake pressure sensor deviating by +/-2.2 hPa

Post cleaning - live ISTA sensor feed shows identical readings from all 3 pressure sensors: intake (manifold) pressure sensor, ambient pressure sensor, charging (boost) pressure sensor.

Take away: routine pressure sensor cleanings may help
Attached Images

Last edited by ctbear; 07-27-2021 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      11-27-2021, 04:37 AM   #10
audi01
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
UPDATE:

There was no boost leak. The issue is with a "dirty" intake manifold pressure sensor (the one after the throttle body) not the pressure sensor on the charge pipe (boost/charging pressure sensor). I simply cleaned the sensor off with some crc maf cleaner to resolve the problem.

It took me a while, but I finally found the time and figured out how to fully take advantage of and utilize ISTA to properly diagnose the issue to resolve this.

Pre cleaning - live ISTA sensor feeds showed intake pressure sensor deviating by +/-2.2 hPa

Post cleaning - live ISTA sensor feed shows identical readings from all 3 pressure sensors: intake (manifold) pressure sensor, ambient pressure sensor, charging (boost) pressure sensor.

Take away: routine pressure sensor cleanings may help
Hi, I have the 101F01 code and was wondering how you measured the readings from the three sensors to confirm they were dirty? I have ISTA working on mt laptop but am not familiar with it. Can you provide some info on what pages in ISTA you selected to check the values? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi01 View Post
Hi, I have the 101F01 code and was wondering how you measured the readings from the three sensors to confirm they were dirty? I have ISTA working on mt laptop but am not familiar with it. Can you provide some info on what pages in ISTA you selected to check the values? Thanks.
It is under Vehicle Management, Troubleshooting, Function Structure
Then expand the tree for Engine, intake, intake pipe pressure. You can then run the test plan for the intake pipe pressure which will display all 3 sensor readings.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:41 AM   #12
audi01
Rep

Quote:
Then expand the tree for Engine, intake, intake pipe pressure. You can then run the test plan for the intake pipe pressure which will display all 3 sensor readings.
Hi, thanks for the information. I went ahead and cleaned the sensor but am still getting the 101f01 code. Will check the sensors in ISTA to confirm whether they are all working correctly.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
audi01
Rep

Quote:
Did another inspection of all intake components and the crankcase ventilation pipe from the valve cover, did not find any visible causes for leaks other than the connection to the intercoolers. They have some slight blowby residue.

Unfortunately I had already cleaned the sensors beforehand so didn't have a before set of values to compare but went ahead and setup ISTA and did a check of the MAP sensors (after cleaning) and found that the charge pressure sensor was varying +/- 1.5 hpa (1029 to 1033 hpa) whereas the manifold and ambient pressure sensor where dead steady at 1030 hpa with no variation. Does this mean that the charge pressure sensor is on its way out? Is it worthwhile to replace it with a new one? Car has done 75K kilometers to date.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 09:08 PM   #14
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did another inspection of all intake components and the crankcase ventilation pipe from the valve cover, did not find any visible causes for leaks other than the connection to the intercoolers. They have some slight blowby residue.

Unfortunately I had already cleaned the sensors beforehand so didn't have a before set of values to compare but went ahead and setup ISTA and did a check of the MAP sensors (after cleaning) and found that the charge pressure sensor was varying +/- 1.5 hpa (1029 to 1033 hpa) whereas the manifold and ambient pressure sensor where dead steady at 1030 hpa with no variation. Does this mean that the charge pressure sensor is on its way out? Is it worthwhile to replace it with a new one? Car has done 75K kilometers to date.
All sensors have a certain life span, degrading over time depending on different use case scenarios. This is indicative of a pressure sensor that is drifting away from factory spec.

Are you still receiving the check engine code? +/- 1.5 hpa should not trip the code as it is within the allowable tolerance range. My problematic sensor also behaved similarly with fluctuations, which improved enough after cleaning as to not trip the code. However, my ocd got the best of me and I ended up replacing the sensor a couple months after cleaning, which resulted in a marked improvement in engine idle smoothness and a definite improvement in fuel consumption. I prefer to keep my cars as close to factory spec as possible. The decision is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:46 AM   #15
audi01
Rep

Quote:
All sensors have a certain life span, degrading over time depending on different use case scenarios. This is indicative of a pressure sensor that is drifting away from factory spec.

Are you still receiving the check engine code? +/- 1.5 hpa should not trip the code as it is within the allowable tolerance range. My problematic sensor also behaved similarly with fluctuations, which improved enough after cleaning as to not trip the code. However, my ocd got the best of me and I ended up replacing the sensor a couple months after cleaning, which resulted in a marked improvement in engine idle smoothness and a definite improvement in fuel consumption. I prefer to keep my cars as close to factory spec as possible. The decision is up to you.
I was getting the fluctuation after cleaning the sensor so I think it would be worse during normal running. Unfortunately I got the 101F01 code again on the next cold start. Only seem to get the problem on cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up the idle is quite smooth and the fault does not occur. So went ahead and bought a genuine Continental MAP sensor on ebay. Bought some new seals for the charge and turbo pipe for the intercooler to fix the slight leaking shown in the photos.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:24 AM   #16
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was getting the fluctuation after cleaning the sensor so I think it would be worse during normal running. Unfortunately I got the 101F01 code again on the next cold start. Only seem to get the problem on cold starts. Once the engine is warmed up the idle is quite smooth and the fault does not occur. So went ahead and bought a genuine Continental MAP sensor on ebay. Bought some new seals for the charge and turbo pipe for the intercooler to fix the slight leaking shown in the photos.
It is unlikely that the map sensor is the cause of 101F01 if the fluctuations are within the tolerance range. Did you try running the Test Plan for error code 101F01 in ITSA? It will walk you through the diagnostic steps to determine root cause. That is how I was able to determine that it was indeed the intake plenum map sensor. In any case, please let us know your results after replacing the MAP sensor. My turbo inlet and charge pipe looks similar to yours. Minor seepage that isn't of concern and likely isn't the source of your error code.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #17
audi01
Rep

Quote:
It is unlikely that the map sensor is the cause of 101F01 if the fluctuations are within the tolerance range. Did you try running the Test Plan for error code 101F01 in ITSA? It will walk you through the diagnostic steps to determine root cause. That is how I was able to determine that it was indeed the intake plenum map sensor. In any case, please let us know your results after replacing the MAP sensor. My turbo inlet and charge pipe looks similar to yours. Minor seepage that isn't of concern and likely isn't the source of your error code.
Sorry for the delay and long post.

Hi, I replaced the sensor and although it gave a stable reading according to ISTA it did not fix the problem. I did another visual inspection of the intake and crankcase ventilation systems and found no visible cracks or leaks and then did a test of the pcv. I connected a pipe to the pcv valve nipple and dipped the end into a small bottle containing some oil. Started the engine at cold and initially did not see any suction of the oil but within 10-20 seconds (after the idle started to come down) the oil was being sucked up the pipe to a height of about 15-20cm and held at that level so I assume that there was some vacuum had been generated at the pcv for a short period of time during that startup process. I re tested after the idle had settled down to normal (650rpm) by disconnecting the pipe, reattaching it and the oil was slowly being sucked to a height of about 5cm so the vacuum had dropped but was still present. I think there is a small leak in the pcv although I still don't understand why it is worse at cold start (fault code 101F01 & 118001) and not during normal operation. There are no oil leaks around the VC so I think it's just the pcv diaphragm which has a small tear.

Can anyone confirm that the PCV should not have any vacuum at the nipple at any time? From what I read online one side of the valve is open to atmosphere so that when a vacuum is created by engine on the other side, the diaphragm closes against the internal spring and closes (or opens)? a valve to divert oil vapour into the turbo inlet pipe. Want to confirm before I go ahead and order an new VC. Thanks.

Last edited by audi01; 12-11-2021 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #18
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delay and long post.

Hi, I replaced the sensor and although it gave a stable reading according to ISTA it did not fix the problem. I did another visual inspection of the intake and crankcase ventilation systems and found no visible cracks or leaks and then did a test of the pcv. I connected a pipe to the pcv valve nipple and dipped the end into a small bottle containing some oil. Started the engine at cold and initially did not see any suction of the oil but within 10-20 seconds (after the idle started to come down) the oil was being sucked up the pipe to a height of about 15-20cm and held at that level so I assume that there was some vacuum had been generated at the pcv for a short period of time during that startup process. I re tested after the idle had settled down to normal (650rpm) by disconnecting the pipe, reattaching it and the oil was slowly being sucked to a height of about 5cm so the vacuum had dropped but was still present. I think there is a small leak in the pcv although I still don't understand why it is worse at cold start (fault code 101F01 & 118001) and not during normal operation. There are no oil leaks around the VC so I think it's just the pcv diaphragm which has a small tear.

Can anyone confirm that the PCV should not have any vacuum at the nipple at any time? From what I read online one side of the valve is open to atmosphere so that when a vacuum is created by engine on the other side, the diaphragm closes against the internal spring and closes (or opens)? a valve to divert oil vapour into the turbo inlet pipe. Want to confirm before I go ahead and order an new VC. Thanks.
Have you tried using ISTA to Calculate a TEST plan?

Refer to 8:00 mark in this video:

The TEST plan will evaluate all codes and walk you through it step by step starting with what is most likely to least likely cause of the codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 01:07 AM   #19
audi01
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried using ISTA to Calculate a TEST plan?

Refer to 8:00 mark in this video:

The TEST plan will evaluate all codes and walk you through it step by step starting with what is most likely to least likely cause of the codes.
Hi, Yes, I did look at the test plan but I don't have a smoke tester which is needed to do a leak test on the air intake and crankcase ventilation system. The test is looking for leaks which would cause the increase in air after the MAF. Decided to check the PCV as it seem to be a common fault which causes the same problem (vacuum leak in the crankcase ventilation system). Some videos on YT suggested using a flame to show the vacuum and there was mention of using a pipe and oil but I didn't see any videos show that test. Went ahead and did it myself and did verify that I was getting a vacuum leak (I think) from the PCV during the cold start. I assume that the leak is very small at the moment as I have only started noticing this problem (rough cold start) and don't get the more severe symptoms (rough idle all the time or squealing from from the front/rear main seals).

Last edited by audi01; 12-12-2021 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #20
audi01
Rep

Decided to go ahead and change the VC due to the vacuum at the pcv. Thanks for your help trying to diagnose the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 05:10 AM   #21
audi01
Rep

Replaced the VC and unfortunately no fix to the cold start problem. Idle once warm is a little smoother and I did find that the VC gasket was brittle and cracked but I think I replaced the VC a little too early. Have decided to do a smoke test and have ordered a smoke tester (probably should have done this first). Did a bit more research and think the problem occurs when the DME switches from the open loop start to the closed loop stage after the initial warm up of the Cats. At cold start the DME runs a open loop fuel map and just runs rich without using the O2 sensors to adjust A/F. Then once the Cats have warmed up a bit, it switches to the closed loop stage and tries to adjust the A/F using sensor data (O2, MAP and MAF?). A vacuum leak could cause the lean fault codes I get during this stage as it would mess with the measurements the DME is reading to adjust A/F. Still not sure why this problem is temperature related though.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about that buddy. I can understand the frustration. I am aware that a lot of owners experience a slightly rough cold start (lasts less than a minute) (some vibrations/shaking/rocking) before it smooths out. It seems like a weird quirk that's accentuated by winter weather for the N55.

Is 101F01 the only persistent code at this point?

Happy holidays and good luck with the car.
Appreciate 0