F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need help deciding between MST or Injen intake for 2013 N55
proTUNING Freaks

12-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #23
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
I didn't like the look of the cts one. The section before the filter was ehhh to me.
You mean the silver part right after the filter? That's the most important part of the intake as it mimics the OEM MAF housing shape, which is critical to ensure accurate MAF readings...
Yeah that silver part lol. My mst intake and inlet is arriving next week. Thinking of getting the AFE air scoop too. Do you recommend that or have another brand?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #24
boosted14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I went with the turbosmart diverter with a injen/greddy hybrid intake. Its the best sounding on a bmw that i have ever heard, and there is no beating foam element filters.
Attached Images

01-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #25
boosted14
Private First Class
Rep

Paper filter - smallest particle filtered 30 micron. Dust clogs paper rapidly and by 15k miles flow can be reduced by as much as 70%.

Oiled cloth - smallest particle filtered 45 micron. Lets a lot of dirt through but flows well when clean.

Oiled foam - smallest particle filtered 5 micron. Foam provides better filtering and has a greater filtration depth so doesn't clog as quickly as paper. 5000 miles cleaning interval recommended.
      01-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #26
boosted14
Private First Class
Rep

Most my friends drive bmw's and they have all switched to foam element. Here is a N54 during an engine swap with ramtech foam element filters.
Attached Images

01-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted14 View Post
I went with the turbosmart diverter with a injen/greddy hybrid intake. Its the best sounding on a bmw that i have ever heard, and there is no beating foam element filters.
Looks good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Yeah that silver part lol. My mst intake and inlet is arriving next week. Thinking of getting the AFE air scoop too. Do you recommend that or have another brand?
I don't run a scoop. It might direct some more "cold" air into your intake area if you aren't running a closed intake setup but its effect is probably going to be negligible.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #29
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
that filter looks cool, do you have audio clips?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #30
boosted14
Private First Class
Rep

I will get them sometime tonight
      01-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I will get them sometime tonight

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #32
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I'll believe it when I hear it. New BMWs sound like vaccum cleaners, and my buddies E30 325i with the M20B25 sounded like a sewing machine. I loved it.
      01-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #33
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I'll believe it when I hear it. New BMWs sound like vaccum cleaners, and my buddies E30 325i with the M20B25 sounded like a sewing machine. I loved it.
I've never understood the appeal of a loud sucking sound, unless its tolerated for the benefit of power gain. But, obviously many disagree as intakes seem to sell quite well.
      01-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #34
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
I've never understood the appeal of a loud sucking sound, unless its tolerated for the benefit of power gain. But, obviously many disagree as intakes seem to sell quite well.
I don't get it either. My M52 and N52 both sounded pretty good, with nice bassey exhaust (the M52tu had a Super Sprint Muffler)

Newer cars just sound so artificial and kinda boring - or they are all intake noise with nothing from the exhaust.
      01-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #35
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I don't run a scoop. It might direct some more "cold" air into your intake area if you aren't running a closed intake setup but its effect is probably going to be negligible.
I was skeptical also until I recently read the Instructions at this link below. I didn't realize that the stock vent that directs front grill air is at a 90 degree angle to the air flow. So it is not getting that direct forced cold air flow. In that respect an air scoop at that 90 degree opening that is redirecting frontal air has to increase cold air flow to the intake box area. Check out the photos in the aFe air scoop instructions at the link below. I may try one. I can't see how it could hurt and it might help.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-12...amic-air-scoop
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #36
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I was skeptical also until I recently read the Instructions at this link below. I didn't realize that the stock vent that directs front grill air is at a 90 degree angle to the air flow. So it is not getting that direct forced cold air flow. In that respect an air scoop at that 90 degree opening that is redirecting frontal air has to increase cold air flow to the intake box area. Check out the photos in the aFe air scoop instructions at the link below. I may try one. I can't see how it could hurt and it might help.

I have the CF version from Evolve. Maybe I should log and see how (if) it works..
      01-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #37
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:

I have the CF version from Evolve. Maybe I should log and see how (if) it works..
Do you have a link for it? Couldn't find it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #38
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a link for it? Couldn't find it. Thanks.
https://www.evolvetuning.us/catalog/...f20-f21-m135i/

Let me take a picture. I paid WAYYYY less (as I just bought the scoop from another member.) We should make one out of ABS plastic or 3D print it.

Edit: pictures. And yes, it’s very dirty.
Attached Images

Last edited by AmuroRay; 01-05-2022 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #39
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Those scoops might have some sort of a ram air effect at high speeds with a closed airbox but if you have MPPK or anything else that would be negated. I would be seriously surprised if you could see anything quantitative in testing. There's also discussion about removing the OEM grate at the airbox intake to reduce restrictions, but i find both unncessary with MPPK airbox since you have the 2nd opening. I dont want to be forcing debris or rain or anything into my airbox anyways.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #40
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Those scoops might have some sort of a ram air effect at high speeds with a closed airbox but if you have MPPK or anything else that would be negated. I would be seriously surprised if you could see anything quantitative in testing. There's also discussion about removing the OEM grate at the airbox intake to reduce restrictions, but i find both unncessary with MPPK airbox since you have the 2nd opening. I dont want to be forcing debris or rain or anything into my airbox anyways.

All I Can say is that I ran it with the Dinan, and dryflow and that area was particularly dirty when it came time to clean the filter.

I got it because it mostly looked cool, but I never noticed anything when I added it. You'll also not in the picture it looks like it blocks a portion of it, but when I installed it, it looked pretty flush.
      01-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #41
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For a ram air effect, wouldn't the air scoop have to be attached to the air opening on the air filter box? I have the impression that the scoop just forces more cold air into the open area in front of the air box openings. So it would also help my MPPK lower airbox with dual openings. See photo.

I wouldn't want a grill mounted scoop directly attached to my airbox for fear that in a flood situation with water splashing into my grill that an attached scoop could force water into my engine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #42
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For a ram air effect, wouldn't the air scoop have to be attached to the air opening on the air filter box? I have the impression that the scoop just forces more cold air into the open area in front of the air box openings. So it would also help my MPPK lower airbox with dual openings. See photo.

I wouldn't want a grill mounted scoop directly attached to my airbox for fear that in a flood situation with water splashing into my grill that an attached scoop could force water into my engine.
The scoops are directly attached to what you call "stock air hole" and do in theory force air into the airbox. They can also force anything else... debris, rain, water, etc.

The whole "cold air" thing is another area of debate. All my intake testing showed that the temperature of the intake air had zero impact on IATs measured post-IC, so a open air underhood intake didnt show higher IATs than a closed box intake. In theory i would argue if you are sucking in very hot air (imagine a filter right on our turbo which is next to manifold) then you might heat soak your IC faster but under most conditions the air temp at the filter seems to not be relevant for IATs
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #43
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The scoops are directly attached to what you call "stock air hole" and do in theory force air into the airbox. They can also force anything else... debris, rain, water, etc.

The whole "cold air" thing is another area of debate. All my intake testing showed that the temperature of the intake air had zero impact on IATs measured post-IC, so a open air underhood intake didnt show higher IATs than a closed box intake. In theory i would argue if you are sucking in very hot air (imagine a filter right on our turbo which is next to manifold) then you might heat soak your IC faster but under most conditions the air temp at the filter seems to not be relevant for IATs
See I'm under the impression that the side facing vent that the air scoop is attached to, and the stock air hole on the stock air box are not attached. That's what I as told by someone who has the aFe air scoop.

Haha, it's too cold right now or I would go outside and start taking my car apart.😀
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #44
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
See I'm under the impression that the side facing vent that the air scoop is attached to, and the stock air hole on the stock air box are not attached. That's what I as told by someone who has the aFe air scoop.

Haha, it's too cold right now or I would go outside and start taking my car apart.😀
They are attached. The airbox connect to the grill vent by an "arm."