F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre Advice Please
proTUNING Freaks

09-16-2019, 03:23 AM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Two key factors, as always : performance requirements, and budget.

I only have one recommendation : MP4S. I had all four tyres changed in Dec 2017 when the car had done 72K miles.

Mileage is now 89K and within that mileage that car has done 5-6 EVO track sessions, and an all day track session at Spa (~120 track miles). Daily driving tends to be 'spirited'. Fronts still have 5mm tread left, and the rears are on 4mm.

Comfort levels are good, and grip (wet and dry) is excellent.

They are superb tyres. Worth every penny.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
B1ue52124.00
gippy230.00
      09-16-2019, 03:51 AM   #24
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

I had a front tyre blowout on friday afternoon on the motorway. Runflats saved me for sure!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #25
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I went from run flats to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non S).
A lot of people here switching dropping run flats...
No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #26
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

My 320i M-Sport Auto was fitted with staggered 19" Bridgestone Potenza S001 runflats that I covered 36,000 miles on.

My 420i GC M-Sport Auto is fitted with staggered 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 runflats.

The Eagle F1''s are much quieter than the Bridgestone''s. They also seem to have more side wall protection against kerbing your alloys. I like them so won't be changing to non-runflats when they need changing.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52124.00
      09-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

The Eagle F1 runflats (Asy 2 I believe) are very good, much better than the S001, as above they are much quieter and better overall grip, dry and wet.

The Asy 3 non-runflat are quieter and ride better than the Asy2 runflat, although barely noticeable. This is my favourite tyre I have tried on any car. They really transformed my merc which had contisport 5's on before.

Currently running MPSS, and although the dry grip is awesome, wet grip pretty decent too, they are just too noisy, so for this reason, and price I reckon, I will try and get Asy 3's if they do them in sizes that fit 437m's on an F31. If I keep the car long enough to need to change tyres!

Admittedly I haven't tried the MPS4s, but I'm pretty sure they are more expensive than Asy3's, and on a normal road car they are all the tyre you need IMO. If I was to track it every now and then like Watsey, I would consider MPS4s, or keep with the MPSS, depending on price for my fitment.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52124.00
      09-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #28
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
The Eagle F1 runflats (Asy 2 I believe) are very good, much better than the S001, as above they are much quieter and better overall grip, dry and wet.

The Asy 3 non-runflat are quieter and ride better than the Asy2 runflat, although barely noticeable. This is my favourite tyre I have tried on any car. They really transformed my merc which had contisport 5's on before.

Currently running MPSS, and although the dry grip is awesome, wet grip pretty decent too, they are just too noisy, so for this reason, and price I reckon, I will try and get Asy 3's if they do them in sizes that fit 437m's on an F31. If I keep the car long enough to need to change tyres!
Great info, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #29
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The fronts must be new! The rears have always been available, as they’re the M3/4 fronts.
Came out around March, I had mine fitted in April when Costco were running their offer again after I missed it the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:38 AM   #30
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Well historically I've been a Goodyear man from the days of 'Rally specials' through the GSD1 / 3 to the Asymmetric 2's & 3's on a variety of cars and always found that they (to me) have been an improvement on whatever was on the vehicle at the time of purchase, (apart for some Yoko's on a fwd Astra GTE).

My first encounter with RFT's was Bridgestones (BMW) and I couldn't believe how firm and jolty the ride was to the point of being skittish on anything but smooth roads, while I appreciated the benefit of the RFT I really disliked the ride. I then changed to Non RFT G/Y Asy 3 in the 19" staggered set up and it was a vast improvement all round.

However, despite my dislike of Bridgestone RFT the new car has them fitted and in general terms they seem far superior to the last lot. OK when you push it a bit and the road is poor the result is as before, but in general terms they are an improvement on the old. So if, as others say the G/Y RFT are much better than Bridgestone and my general experience of their tyres over the years, they may well be worth a go in place of the non RFT G/Y's purely on the basis of my experiences when the wife has been out and had a puncture?...she wouldn't be that keen on trying slime and pulling an offending nail out of the tyre on the side of the road, just having done her nails and been to the hairdressers !!

Last edited by Alscoob; 09-17-2019 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
B1ue52124.00
rjwojcik281.50
      09-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #31
Jim23k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I decided to stick with runflats when I changed tyres over the summer. I went GY AS2 and whilst still early days they are quieter than the CSC5's they replaced. The CSC5's were grippy in the dry but they did tramline quite a bit. The GY's give me more confidence in the wet whilst being equally capable in the dry. No regrets so far...

As someone said earlier, there are star marked MPS4S - I believe in the States they are a factory fit if choosing the track handling package (not available over here). They have a slight premium over the non-star MPS4S.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52124.00
      09-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Well historically I've been a Goodyear man from the days of 'Rally specials' through the GSD1 / 3 to the Asymmetric 2's & 3's on a variety of cars and always found that they (to me) have been an improvement on whatever was on the vehicle at the time of purchase, (apart for some Yoko's on a fwd Astra GTE).

My first encounter with RFT's was Bridgestones (BMW) and I couldn't believe how firm and jolty the ride was to the point of being skittish on anything but smooth roads, while I appreciated the benefit of the RFT I really disliked the ride. I then changed to Non RFT G/Y Asy 3 in the 19" staggered set up and it was a vast improvement all round.

However, despite my dislike of Bridgestone RFT the new car has them fitted and in general terms they seem far superior to the last lot. OK when you push it a bit and the road is poor the result is as before, but in general terms they are an improvement on the old. So if, as others say the G/Y RFT are much better than Bridgestone and my general experience of their tyres over the years, they may well be worth a go in place of the non RFT G/Y's purely on the basis of my experiences when the wife has been out and had a puncture?...she wouldn't be that keen on trying slime and pulling an offending nail out of the tyre on the side of the road, just having done her nails and been to the hairdressers !!
Apparently the Bridgestone S001's did have some changes made to them.

Another factor is outside/tyre temperature, in winter the sidewalls of run flats get stiffer which exacerbates the problems with them.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50