F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bluespark Tuning Box Review and Tech info
proTUNING Freaks

02-08-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Bluespark Tuning Box Review and Tech info

So thought I would do a Bluespark Review and update for you all

As some of you might know I spent ages deciding between a full remap and losing my warranty or getting a tuning box and being able to remove it and hopefully BMW being unable to detect that my car had been played with. I decided after much debating, speaking to fellow members and looking at the rolling road results and the 1st SRR day that I would give Bluespark a try.

As you can see from the table below a CRTECH Bluespark device had great increases (308 to 348bhp and 505ftlb (685nm) Torque) on the low setting.

I originally bought a Pro box (next box up from the CRTECH), installed it and went for a drive. Here is my initial review of the Pro Box

I don’t actually drive hard or fast. I have owned the car since September and spend 90% of the time in Eco doing City driving. I do 4 to 5 k a year and most of it is City Driving. So for the box... I installed it which took no time at all. The longest bit is waiting the 5 mins from popping the bonnet and locking the car for the car to fully switch off. Installed and placed behind the radiator bottle a quick check of the setting means mine is set middle of the road "C6". From speaking to Greg at Bluespark the box is capable of 366bhp and 724nm but this would be on setting "E9" we suspect on "C6" or default would be around 355bhp and 680nm. Driving the car seems smooth, at first I didn’t really notice the performance increase due to it being so smooth but I can confirm the car does feel fast in all modes. Eco mode I have really noticed the difference seems effortless to get going now compared to before where sometimes I felt like the car was struggling. In Sport mode the car really took off from 20 mph so much so it actually shocked me. I do plan on getting it on a rolling road to get some hard figures where I will also play with some settings to see what happens. As you can see from the SRR day it does seem to give the biggest bang per buck.

I had been speaking to other member’s about their experiences with the box and settings they had used etc. and this raised a whole load of additional questions. A call was in order with Edd at Bluespark. (It also transpires that Kev on here had also been emailing Edd and Kev kindly passed the Map Graphs on to me.) After this chat my confidence in Bluespark was even higher and I took advantage of the 28day return policy to get a Pro+ Boost System for my car. Anyway I waffle... so here is the additional information from Edd

Q1) how much additional boost is given with a Pro+ Boost Box???
A1) 2 PSI increase on map A and B and 3 PSI increase on map C, D and E.

Q2) what is the difference between maps C, D and E?
A2) C is like an All Round map, D is an initial torque hit and E is C but with the volume turned up more. Here is a graph to show what they look like.

Q3) anything users need to look out for in setting up the device?
A3i) when changing the setting on the device make sure the car has been powered off for a minimum of 5 mins. The tuning box remembers the previous settings in the memory bank but when the car starts from a fresh power cycle it compares the settings in the memory bank to those being requested. If they have changed then it will re-write the new map being requested. If the car hasn’t completed the power cycle the new map doesn’t take effect until the next power cycle.
A3ii) 90% of the time the car will not present an EML light even if the box is turned up too far!! so it’s important to understand what the car is doing. A majority of the problems appear as a drop in power like limp mode but no errors on dash. this where you are requesting to much from the Fuel pump and at about 3000rpm is where it shows its head. If your car is high mileage then try to replace the fuel filter and retest. If this isn’t the case then turn the dial back one e.g. if on E8 go back to E7. This is why you should pick your base map (C, D or E) and then start at 6 and move up one map at a time. Keep going until you hit this wall (changing every few days so the car has time to adapt) then go back one step on the dial.

From the above information I can confirm on my Pro box I went from C6 to D7 and the initial torque made the car feel so nice to drive with the low down grunt in comparison to C6. When I upgraded to the Pro+ boost box I went straight to E7 and have to say the car is performing great at this setting.

the ideal setting for your car will depend on your own preferences (for example Kev has his set to C9, Mine E7) which is another advantage of the Bluespark as it gets you closer to a remap in its ability to be tailored.

We've also experienced no smoke, Exhaust tips are still nice and shiny, so it would seem that the claim that AFRs are maintained with the boost adjustability are valid also.

Here are some reviews from Kev and Tony

Kev (KCH1984) 30d

The tuning box reviews have no doubt been done to death, but since I jumped on the offer at the top of this thread, I thought I'd contribute my 2p.

Having watched a YouTube video of the installation, I was actually able to fit the box more easily than I initially anticipated. Found all connectors, followed the written instructions and got the right sequence of lights once all connected up.

Would I say the box transforms the car? No. It is more of an enhancement of an already decent package, and closes some of the gap to a stock 335d. To be fair I'm in the default setting (C6) and probably won't push it for fear of an engine management light, but I think you'd be needing a remap for a more serious tune. Unscientifically, I'd estimate maybe around 20bhp increase as has been mooted at the top of this thread.

Would I say the box represents value for money? Yes. I came into this with my eyes open (thanks to this forum) and wasn't expecting the box to transform my 330d into my previous M135i, but the increase in performance is welcome and if all out performance was the name of the game I'd likely have tried for a 335d or even a 340i. All things considered, £250 isn't a lot when I consider I must've spend around £2,500 on a previous VW R32 for all of about 15bhp!

For those swithering, it's a small outlay for a bit more oomph from your 30d which (fingers crossed) seems to be safe for the engine and warranty friendly. If you're out of warranty and really want to see noticeable gains, put your money towards a 'proper' remap.

Tony (Helmut) 35d

In agreement with all you've said, KCH. Power delivery is more consistent now (default C6) without that usual 'diesel cliff face'. I too noticed it was a bit more diesely in sound but I guess that may be due to a bit more fuel and pressure. Only really noticed it the first day I fitted it. May be I've got used to it or the engine has adapted to it. Took the box out today as I had to take the car to the dealers to get a TPMS issue sorted. Certainly notice the difference in power delivery with it removed. Will refit tomorrow with it set to D7 (Smee is my test pilot/food taster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
All sorted, the boost connector was the wrong way round, my mistake as it was tight to push in so thought it was the other way round as this was easier.

The difference is very impressive and I am shocked how up goes up the road, it doesn't pause for breath just romps on.

Have it set on C6 so may have a play with the settings, too much choice really.

Again great service from the guys at Bluespark

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit

Last edited by Smee; 02-13-2017 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 3
KCH1984933.50
Soul_Glo13296.00
      02-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Thanks for collating the collective thoughts mate - this will be useful for anyone considering a box, or looking for an idea of the settings that might work best for their car.

To echo the comments above, the guys at Bluespark have been great given they've been getting questions from multiple directions and the outlay is small for what is a decent product. I'm still on setting C9 and happy with the car in this mode - I took the box off at the weekend to rule out a placebo effect, and having got used to the additional power it really did feel like I'd stuck it in Eco mode with the box removed.

Again, maybe don't expect the gains of a good remap, but a good option for those wanting to keep warranties intact or have an easily reversible mod.

Finally, for those interested my insurance jumped £35 (inc. admin fee!) with Admiral having declared the 'engine tuning chip'.
      02-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Excellent, Smee and well done for compiling this. Hopefully this thread will be an initial reference for others thinking of this route.

Had mine fitted for a good few weeks now (Pro + Boost) and no problems whatsoever. I have mine set to D7 after initially being on C6 (default) but will look at trying E from this weekend now I'm fully used to how it feels. On D7, I've seen a good 2mpg better fuel consumption from stock. Initially the mpg seemed to be a bit lower but I put that down to driving like a loony because of the novelty factor of the extra oomph

As Smee has said, Eco feels like Comfort and Comfort feels like Sport etc. Just feels a lot perkier throughout the range with the added bonus of equal or better mpg.

The only thing to be aware of is if you are in Sport/manual and driving hard, the revs pick up a lot quicker and its easier/quicker to be at the rev limiter if you aren't careful. As we know, diesels peak is a lot lower down the rev range so there is no need to be up that high but if youre not careful, it could catch you out! (say for example if a Scooby chav driver tries to burn you off at the lights and you are a bit too fixated on showing him your arse )

All in all, I am very happy with the box and what its giving me. Looking forward to playing around with it on the upcoming rolling road day.

For the price and the bang for bucks you get with it, its hard to beat. The support from BlueSpark is very good and the chaps there really do know what they are talking about as opposed to some of the other companies whole just sell a generic box.

A special big thanks to Smee for firstly helping to also push me down this route and also securing the discount as well as being the chap asking all the right questions to Bluespark. Cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Does this just increase boost and fuel rail pressure or does this actively change the ignition timing as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Smee
Colonel
Rep

Boost and fuel rail pressure.

Steinbauer or acs do the ignition timing.

Mossleman have a new itronic out that I think does timing also but not sure still in beta.

Bluespark us the same as the usual big hitters here in the UK. Dtuk or td-tuning all fuel rail and boost.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Sure thanks, looks very good value
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Really interesting & comprehensive write up, thanks

Typically this is the first petrol car I've owned for a long time, so what's the market like for tuning boxes for the 330i?

I guess as it's essentially a remapped/boosted/fettled version of the B48 in 20i guise, the gains to be had before damage occurs might be less exciting. Does that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
Smee
Colonel
Rep

my honest opinion when it comes to Petrol i wouldnt touch a tuning box. tuning a diesel is very different.

A petrol your want it to be sweet and spot on lean will damage pistons etc. i would only ever get a petrol remapped and that no bad finger pointing to DTUK, Bluespark of JB etc to me the risk is a lot higher on a petrol car.

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

New mosselman itronic units are available for pre order.

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/itron...-9fe20562-dff2
Smee505.00
      02-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
Smee
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismac13 View Post
New mosselman itronic units are available for pre order.

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/itron...-9fe20562-dff2
yea i been on the waiting list for 3 months and chat to Leon about it all the time

i was really interested in this until i saw the price and that the basic model

when they add the additional parts on at a later date is gonna become expensive

Quote:
The iTronic can work with the same signals as some other traditional boxes, using boost and rail pressure, but has many more possibilities like air mass, wastegate position etc. (just what the car needs). Another difference is that it has a CAN-Bus connection as well where we read different signals as rpm and exact load, and it can send CAN messages to the car. Still in development we have some plugins that can be added to iTronic to directly drive injectors, and even drive extra injectors for petrol models with bigger turbos. These modules we expect to release around spring or beginning of the summer. Pricing is not set yet, but expect it to be in the price range around 250,- / 400,- Euro depending engine model etc.

Quote:
Besides the cheap boxes it comes standard with a lot more channel possibilities, CAN-bus connection to read out channels for perfect power delivery at every load and rpm level, on/off switching and we probably implement map switching later (no additional cost for pre-sale customers). Another feature already build in is for cat delete (in case of catless downpipe). The processor capacity is probably 10 times more resulting again in smoother power delivery all though the rpm range.

So the iTronic in this form is perfectly able to get the performance step for stage 1. For people who want more than this there are the optional plugins (hardware) with different injector drivers to get even more performance, mostly used for stage 2 or higher.

The extra plugin for stage 2 or higher comes on top of the regular price. Normal price for iTronic for you car is 889,- excl.VAT, pre-release 666,75 Euro excl.21% VAT (~575,- Pounds excl.VAT). The plugin for the diesel would be probable around 300,- Euro excl.VAT (~250,- Pounds excl.VAT)

This pricing is still way cheaper than a Steinbauer/AC Schnitzer tuning box, and these don't have CAN, Map switching and many other functions that iTronic has.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #11
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Just ordered a Pro+ box.

Insurance quoted £56 extra for this and black grills, that's with LV

15% discount is available if 3 people buy one or 10% and free postage if not. Either way friendly people to deal with and 28 day money back if not happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:00 AM   #12
Smee
Colonel
Rep

agh did you ask for the 15%. i did wonder if they would honour it again or not.

DanChapman90 wanted one if you cna find a 3rd then your laughing for 15% off again

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
agh did you ask for the 15%. i did wonder if they would honour it again or not.

DanChapman90 wanted one if you cna find a 3rd then your laughing for 15% off again
He did say that but the difference between 15% off and 10% off with free postage was only £7 so was not overly bothered.

Thanks though
Appreciate 1
Smee505.00
      02-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
Smee
Colonel
Rep

very true what setting you going to go for?

im still on E7. been tempted to whack it on E9 and but how much better will E9 be over E7... in my mind not much surely and my car is running sweet on E7

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
very true what setting you going to go for?

im still on E7. been tempted to whack it on E9 and but how much better will E9 be over E7... in my mind not much surely and my car is running sweet on E7
Was going to start on D7 and see what it's like, I will see what Tony thinks when he moves from D7 to E7 this weekend.

What did you notice going from D to E
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
Smee
Colonel
Rep

Erm I can't realet comment I was on a pro box on D then swapped to pro+ straight to E lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #17
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Erm I can't realet comment I was on a pro box on D then swapped to pro+ straight to E lol
Were you impressed

Do you have a YouTube link for fitting?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
Smee
Colonel
Rep

I was well impressed. the added 3 psi of boost helped straight out the box over the normal pro box.

erm fitting is simple although the boost sensor is a nightmare. I presume your engine is the same as mine if so pm me your number I'll take pictures for you

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #19
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

I'd offer to send a vid but as Smee will testify, my internet connection is slower than the plot line to the series 'Lost'. For a 30 second video, it took about 6 hours to upload!

As Smee says, its simple to fit and instruction sheet is generally pretty good. Boost connector is a pain as its awkward to get decent purchase on to release the clip (unless you have lady-hands or are from Norfolk and have an extra digit). You'll find both the rail and boost connector easily enough to find but ignore the bit in the instructions where it says 'remove the black foam cover completely'. You'd need to strip the airbox and piping off to do that.

The tricky bit is trying to hold back the foam, release the locking clip on connector and removing; all with one hand in a tight space. The rail connector on the front is simple as its clear and right on the end of the fuel rail. Routing the double Y cable to the box is pretty obvious. We both have pics of our installation so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot I was going to change up to E! Too busy thinking about going to classic car show tomorrow
Appreciate 1
JLR19691877.00
      02-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #20
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep

Just to add; Now the ECU/engine and box have settled down nicely, I'm getting about 2-4mpg better all round. As well as a punch in the cock every time I floor it
Appreciate 2
JLR19691877.00
Smee505.00
      02-11-2017, 02:51 AM   #21
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Were you impressed

Do you have a YouTube link for fitting?
This is in German and is for a different tuning box, but is the guide I used for extra clarity on the boost connector. This also shows you that you don't need to strip off the back engine cover, as Tony has already noted.

Hope that helps. I will post a pic of my installation later if you want to see where I positioned the box.
      02-11-2017, 04:45 AM   #22
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Just for clarification. You can't hide this kind of modification from BMW in the event of a claim. To ensure everyone goes into it with their eyes open.
I would agree that if you do any kind of modification you take your chances - however the ability to 'hide' evidence of a tuning box is surely far greater than that of a remap.

Yes your car might log higher boost and rail pressures, but without physical evidence of the box, how would they prove that something external was the cause? They might well speculate, but less of a footprint than a flashed / soldered ECU.

You're right to offer a word of caution though, and best people go in with eyes fully open.

Notwithstanding the above, having had my 123d remapped by E*****e, I ended up needing a new DME. BMW duly replaced this under warranty with no questions asked - it probably does come down to luck and how hard your dealer looks / whether or not BMW suspect foul play.