F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MPPSK Help
ARMA SPEED

05-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Competition Pack

Garage List
MPPSK Help

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can clear up my confused mind.

I am wanting an MPPSK and now I've been offered a second hand one. Is coding or software definitely required to run to make it work if I was to fit a second hand one?
If so can someone explain why as it's just a cat back exhaust isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Part of the full MPPSK is a remap. I guess the exhaust will be ok, but you won’t have the extra power and the coded in burbles and gunshots
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I don’t know for sure, but I think the software that controls the flap is different. Other people have said the flap control strategy is the same regardless of the exhaust fitted, but from observing the flap on my car (admittedly a later PPF/OPF car), I don’t agree.

On my car, in comfort mode, the flap opens and closes all the time. I’ve seen video of it when moving in traffic, and it’s all over the place. All my flap does is open and close the left exhaust outlet, and makes little audible difference to the sound of the car. On the MPPSK, the flaps completely bypass the rear silencer, and make a huge audible difference. I can’t imagine anyone would want the MPPSK flaps opening and closing all the time in comfort.

I can only conclude that the software does change the flap behaviour, or BMW made changes to the later cars like mine, so the flap operates differently.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #4
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Does mean the ppf MPPSK is different to the pre MPPSK? Or is it physically the same system.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:50 AM   #5
Malone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_340i View Post
Does mean the ppf MPPSK is different to the pre MPPSK? Or is it physically the same system.
Can’t get a ppf MPPSK. The whole system is now discontinued I believe, with only leftover stock knocking around.

What Ian has said about the flap/muffler control sounds pretty accurate. It’s not just a case of flaps open/shut in sport/comfort mode - sport mode opens flaps and bypasses muffler, which is why it’s so damn loud!!
I’m comfort mode, the muffler isn’t bypassed a all and the flaps are closed up to about 4000rpm.
Someone has done a chart on the forum as to flap and muffler behaviour in each mode, but I can’t find it for the life of me!

Last edited by Malone; 05-26-2019 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:17 AM   #6
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Quote:
Can’t get a ppf MPPSK. The whole system is now discontinued I believe, with only leftover stock knocking around.

What Ian has said about the flap/muffler control sounds pretty accurate. It’s not just a case of flaps open/shut in sport/comfort mode - sport mode opens flaps and bypasses muffler, which is why it’s so damn loud!!
I’m comfort mode, the muffler isn’t bypassed a all and the flaps are closed up to about 4000rpm.
Someone has done a chart on the forum as to flap and muffler behaviour in each mode, but I can’t find it for the life of me!
So fitting a second hand one with out the programming could be a fairly expensive issue In the long run or....

Will bmw dealers agree to programme the car at just cost for the the software?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #7
Malone
Captain
Rep

I guess that one will be a question for the dealers, although I imagine the answer would be a firm “no”! If any fault arose - would it be down to exhaust or their software - seems too much of a blurred line for them to get involved in. Id probably just try and find a new one and spend the money. At least it’ll all be under warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Quote:
Can't get a ppf MPPSK. The whole system is now discontinued I believe, with only leftover stock knocking around.

What Ian has said about the flap/muffler control sounds pretty accurate. It's not just a case of flaps open/shut in sport/comfort mode - sport mode opens flaps and bypasses muffler, which is why it's so damn loud!!
I'm comfort mode, the muffler isn't bypassed a all and the flaps are closed up to about 4000rpm.
Someone has done a chart on the forum as to flap and muffler behaviour in each mode, but I can't find it for the life of me!
The mppsk is not discontinued it just can't be installed on cars fitted with the PPF.

I believe it's the same for the MPE (back box only) on PPF cars. OP when was your car manufactured?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #9
Malone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRO4TV View Post
The mppsk is not discontinued it just can't be installed on cars fitted with the PPF.

I believe it's the same for the MPE (back box only) on PPF cars. OP when was your car manufactured?
Ahh, fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Surely something can be done as there are a fair few 2nd MPPSK on eBay and the like.

I'll have to investigate.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Surely something can be done as there are a fair few 2nd MPPSK on eBay and the like.

More accurately there are a number of exhausts for sale on ebay as without the firmware update and remap that's all it is.

It's the same as having a standard M3 and buying a CP exhaust and expecting to have the additional power and pops and crackles you won't without the CP firmware.
      05-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

WTF is the PPF?

Edit: Used the Google to find Petrol Particulate Filter, which is only on EU spec cars. Doesn't apply in the USA because we don't use petrol.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
WTF is the PPF?

Edit: Used the Google to find Petrol Particulate Filter, which is only on EU spec cars. Doesn't apply in the USA because we don't use petrol.
That's right you use that other stuff called gasoline.
      05-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
WTF is the PPF?

Might be worth using google again buddy
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
When my local dealer messed up the software update I essentially had the MPPSK fitted plus the new chip but no software. The result was a serious impact on gear changes until they sorted the software. The symptom was that as the car went to change up a gear the revs would stick, the car stopped accelerating and there was noticeable vibration. It was almost like the exhaust was fighting against the engine. After about 3 seconds the gear change would happen and then you'd be fine until the next gear change. Downshifts were no problem.

No idea if a similar thing would happen if just the MPPSK were fitted with the standard chip & software, but not sure I'd want to pay money to find out

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #16
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
That's right you use that other stuff called gasoline.
Nope, it's guzzoline on the Fury Road. May you ride ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      05-29-2019, 02:43 AM   #17
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

A cheaper option might be installing the exhaust and getting something like MHD for the tune. Although an uprated exhaust is not required for MHD tune, it will give a different sound.
Cant imagine the MPPSK software tune would be cheap through BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

More accurately there are a number of exhausts for sale on ebay as without the firmware update and remap that's all it is.

It's the same as having a standard M3 and buying a CP exhaust and expecting to have the additional power and pops and crackles you won't without the CP firmware.
Hi mate.

Good point, I am not expecting the extra power and or extras from the software update like the pops and crackles.

I just want to be sure it will work with a standard vehicle. Ie all the exhaust flaps and valves working ok with the sport button.

In theory it looks like it could fit and work right ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate.

Good point, I am not expecting the extra power and or extras from the software update like the pops and crackles.

I just want to be sure it will work with a standard vehicle. Ie all the exhaust flaps and valves working ok with the sport button.

Not sure as everything is run on software these days, you really need to find someone who has had this done and says it runs fine, when I had my M3 some people got CP exhausts and there was no difference as the tune needed to be there, no point in spending money if there is no difference, unless of course yours is damaged.
      05-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi mate.

Not sure as everything is run on software these days, you really need to find someone who has had this done and says it runs fine, when I had my M3 some people got CP exhausts and there was no difference as the tune needed to be there, no point in spending money if there is no difference, unless of course yours is damaged.
Yes my standard system is damaged. Long story and a stupid mistake on my part.

So I thought I'd look into a cat back Performance exhaust. Just want a decent sound and not hugely fussed about power upgrades.

The MPPSK system is being offered to me at a fair price.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #21
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

I don't know if it would work or not but if it's been offered at a fair price is it worth just taking it, installing it and see what happens?

If nothing then pop it back on eBay and I'm sure someone will buy it! Is there a way to just connect the cable that opens the flaps and see / hear if the flaps do open before fitting it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi mate.

Yes my standard system is damaged. Long story and a stupid mistake on my part.

So I thought I'd look into a cat back Performance exhaust. Just want a decent sound and not hugely fussed about power upgrades.

The MPPSK system is being offered to me at a fair price.
not sure about how fair the price you're looking at is but to give you the more thorough option, the whole kit from a dealer can be had for about £1500 now!
Appreciate 0