F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire and Wheel Options - Stock 20" or ???
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
juryan
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i M Performance Edition

Tire and Wheel Options - Stock 20" or ???

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best option for my 440i. The car came stock with 20" 405m wheels and Pirelli runflats which I absolutely despise! During the winter I had 400m square setup with Michelin x-ice 3 tires and the car was better to drive than with the summers.

Issues with current setup;

1 - Steering feel on the highway. I find the car darting around like crazy and really tracks every little groove. Also get minor vibrations in certain conditions? Don't think it's a balancing issue because give a bit of steering input seems to correct it.

2 - Harsh over bumps.. Yes I know it's a "Sports" car with 20" wheels and performance tires. However these are harsh and loud over minor bumps. Never noticed this in my friends M3 with Michelin PSS tires.

So my question is;

Would switching the tires for new Michelin PS4S in stock sizing or +1 sizing fix these issues? I've never had runflat tires on any car so I can't say if that's what is causing the issue.

Could I go with 235 on the front 8" and 265 on the rear 8.5"? Seems like the 235 will be fine but the 265 is a bit too wide.

Is it better to just buy a set of aftermarket 19" wheels in 8.5 and 9.5-10 and put PS4S on those? My issue with this is the cost... I'm looking at $2800-3000 for wheels and tires vs approximately 1200 for new tires on the stock wheels.

I actually really like the look of the 405m wheel so I'm open to keeping these I can fix my current problems.

Thanks for you help!

Here's a pic of the car with the 405m wheels. I find they match the paint

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
blmcquig
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I just replied to someone else asking about 20" wheels, then saw your thread. I also used the word "despise" to describe the 405M with run-flats.
I bit the bullet and put the Pilot Sport 4S tires on the 405M wheels, and it does in fact make a huge difference. I still wish I had 19s or even 18s instead, but the wheels look cool, and I already had them, so I just tried the tires to see if it would help before going through the hassle of selling the wheels on for something else. I used the stock tire size (225 in the front, 255 in the back). Hope that helps you!
Appreciate 2