F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Workplace Ergonomics
ARMA SPEED

06-20-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Workplace Ergonomics

Morning All,

Wonder if anyone knows or have come across any regulations that drive workplace ergonomics.

Asking as my place of work is horrible for it.
Working behind a desk all day every day on a laptop. (No desktop facilities available).
No monitors,no laptop stands, no laptop docking stations.
So my day is spent looking down at a laptop screen.
This would be OK on occasions (Meetings, supplier visits etc..) but not great on neck / back doing it all day every day.

Looking to find out if there are any regulations companies need to comply with regarding ergonomics in the workplace.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Yes, employers are legally bound to carry out Display Screen Equipment assessments for employees and third-parties using company-provided IT equipment, and to provide solutions to mitigate or reduce risks. Your workstation environment, as you describe it, would not be deemed satisfactory.

Scroll down to the DSE section on this website :

http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/risk.htm

There's a link to further information. If you Google "display screen equipment" or "DSE" you'll find a mine of information.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
Ridg205.00
willjames709.00
      06-20-2019, 02:55 AM   #3
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

If they have you working on a computer at a desk all day why do they make you work on laptops? I think you would be more productive with a large screen monitor and a full size keyboard and mouse. There is legislation about seating, your monitor should be at eye level, a laptop screen is usually too low unless it's on a block. Have a look on the HSE website, couple of starters;

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg57.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:59 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

If an employee uses Display Screen Equipment for more than an hour continuously each day the employer is obliged to perform a workstation assessment and by law the workstation must conform to certain basic standards; if it doesn't the employer is in breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1992.

Given what you've described I think it's highly unlikely your workstation is compliant so from the sounds of it your employer needs to get a trained person to undertake a workstation assessment and then ensure any required changes are implemented.

Out of interest are you a relatively new employee or has this been the situation for a while for you and potentially some of your colleagues?

A bit more information here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/assessment.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #5
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for all the info.
Also found Directive 90/270/EEC - display screen equipment which believes covers what needs to be done.
From what I have read, none of the work practices comply.

I've been with the company for around 18months, however the company has been getting worse at their treatment of staff so also looking elsewhere.

My only real concern is that I am employed as a "Contractor" on a rolling 12 month contract. Dont want to be pushed out (Contract cancelled) before I can find something else and walk in my own time.

However the workstation situation is the same for everyone (Permi / Contract).
Some have managed to secure a 2nd monitor, but still no stand to raise laptop screen to eye level or keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
Thanks for all the info.
Also found Directive 90/270/EEC - display screen equipment which believes covers what needs to be done.
From what I have read, none of the work practices comply.

I've been with the company for around 18months, however the company has been getting worse at their treatment of staff so also looking elsewhere.

My only real concern is that I am employed as a "Contractor" on a rolling 12 month contract. Dont want to be pushed out (Contract cancelled) before I can find something else and walk in my own time.

However the workstation situation is the same for everyone (Permi / Contract).
Some have managed to secure a 2nd monitor, but still no stand to raise laptop screen to eye level or keyboard.
I can see why you might not want to rock the boat because as a contractor you'd be easy to get rid of if the company perceived you as a troublemaker!

However, even if they're a relatively small outfit that can't justify their own dedicated Health & Safety Officer, there should still be someone who's assigned as responsible for H&S in the office; therefore, do you know who that person is and if so would you feel comfortable discussing some of your workstation issues with them? I think most competent managers would realise that having someone working permanently off a laptop screen for several hours a day is at best bad practice and more than likely a breach of H&S regulations...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #7
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

If you don't want to rock the boat, just buy yourself a cheap laptop stand and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. None of these things are expensive these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
If you don't want to rock the boat, just buy yourself a cheap laptop stand and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. None of these things are expensive these days.
He shouldn't really have to though.

For all the shenanigans senior management get up to in my place, we still take things like this very seriously to the point we will pay for opticians etc.

OP without rocking the boat you might want to discreetly let the responsible person know that you think you may be suffering from RSI and have been getting migraines etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

If you don't want to be seen to rock the boat get an employee to raise it with HR or go with a few employees and all raise it with HR. Mention back or neck ache and they should jump all over it and get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
He shouldn't really have to though.

For all the shenanigans senior management get up to in my place, we still take things like this very seriously to the point we will pay for opticians etc.

OP without rocking the boat you might want to discreetly let the responsible person know that you think you may be suffering from RSI and have been getting migraines etc.
Oh, I do get neck ache. However not sure where I would stand as a contractor. Always a bit more tricky compared to being permanent.

I've made a specific request to IT for a laptop stand and keyboard. See what they come back with. Doubt anything will happen and they will just reply with "Sorry, we dont have any". If they fob me off, then ill approach HR to just point them towards the regs and ask if something can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
If you don't want to be seen to rock the boat get an employee to raise it with HR or go with a few employees and all raise it with HR. Mention back or neck ache and they should jump all over it and get it sorted.
I have mentioned it to a few permanent employees, but most people here are such a bunch of wet rags. They will complain and all agreed with me etc... But when it comes to taking action they are nowhere to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Just ask for what you need, no need to complain yet, just make the request and take it from there.
      06-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #13
mikesx4911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I'm in I.T. and currently work for a health dept. company. We are obligated to give any type of ergonomics to employees, keyboards, mouses, gel pads, monitor stands. Pretty much they ask for it... Their getting it lol. Better than getting sued for a injury haha. We even had people come in and check our employees to make sure they are sitting correctly and have what they need lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I worked for one of the largest IT providers in the world and every year they would make you fill in an online DSE assessment with your manager being cc'd on the results. Every year I stated that when working from home my workspace was inadequate. Every year they completely ignored me.

I didn't think a beer fridge was that unreasonable

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:54 AM   #15
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I agree, for the sake of a few quid, why push it. I understand there's a principle involved, but in your case as a contractor I'd probably just bite my tongue and sort it myself.

If I did expense claims there, I'd probably try to get it paid after the event, but not really care too much if they knocked it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
+1. Quit while you're ahead is a saying for a reason and by sorting out a minor issue himself, he looks like a problem solver not a problem creator.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #17
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Stick a load of books under the laptop to raise it to the right height and buy a Bluetooth keyboard for £10 from amazon. Problem solved.

I work outside all year round and in the summer I'd get sunburn and heat stroke, so I bought some sun cream and a hat and didn't think about "workplace ergonomics", who's to blame and who should fix it. I just didn't want to get burnt.
Seems odd to sit in pain each day when it's easily fixable yourself!
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50