F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Looking for honest advice on better handling of 435i xdrive
proTUNING Freaks

02-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #45
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

The dinan suspension set-up is great for the xdrive...
      02-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #46
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwauug
The dinan suspension set-up is great for the xdrive...
The software or the hardware, or both? What about xdrive with DHP?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #47
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
But with winter tires, the driving and steering wheels of my current and past RWD and FWD vehicles have never lost significant traction to cause loss of control. Guess my cars were guided by luck . . . or traction.

You seem to believe that since your RWD with snow tires on it doesn't have issues in what it has encountered so far that it is therefore the zenith and no further improvement can be had. Thank god inventors never succumbed to that type of blindness.

Again, I concede that one does not NEED AWD to drive in snow, just as we don't NEED 400+ HP cars to drive to work. That does not change the fact that AWD does provide a benefit both in dry performance and wet/snow handling.

The fact remains that while there is no NEED if one is a careful and alert driver and is well equipped to plan their route around issues such as snow covered hills.........an AWD with snow tires will out perform a RWD/FWD on snow tires every day of the week.

There is a point where traction is lost on a FWD/RWD car and in the same situation an AWD will still have traction. Whether that difference is measured in 1MPH or 20MPH, better is better.

You continue to cherry pick and stage examples, and ramble. Low traction and zero traction are completely different animals yet you treat them the same. It's impossible to have a discussion with someone as addicted to fallacies and passionate hyperbole as you.

Believe what you want, doesn't bother me one bit.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #48
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Believe what you want, doesn't bother me one bit.
I really doubt what I'm saying fails to bother you.

Hey OP, sorry I've been getting distracted demolishing yet another AWD argument. It's so hard to resist. It's just so easy. But getting back to your post. . . .

First thing is to drive the car as others have mentioned. To get handling to where you like it try determine whether the car under or oversteers. Try to gauge the amount of roll as well. My experience with BMW's AWD models is they understeer to a greater degree than RWD. I find it strange BMW didn't dial out the understeer but like a lot of things, marketing probably ruined it for some reason. In looking at the xDrive spec, xDrive cars tend to ride about 10mm higher than RWD models and the anti-roll bar (ARB) is about 2mm thinner according to realOEM. 10mm shorter springs will get you on par with RWD sport. 20mm shorter will get you on par with RWD performance. I do not know if you can fit the thicker ARB to xDrive models due to the transfer case being in the way. Look into it only if roll is an issue.

If you have Dynamic Suspension, keep it. Not only is it under warranty it's a brilliant idea and perfect for city streets and highways and the easiest way to add flexibility to an already brilliant chassis. I have heard good things about shockwave but then again, it depends on you. You can flash back so if you hate it, you can go back to factory. Another idea? You could get the front toe 'zero' aligned to dial out factory understeer. I suggest keeping the rear toe at factory though or the rear end will be too loose. If you still don't like it, a change in control arms would change caster a bit giving you a bit sharper steering but I haven't seen anything for the F30 and for changing that variable, I'd stick with BMW parts.

I too would recommend a tire swap as one way to change up handling a bit. Keep the setup square if understeer is a problem. For summer, Michelin Super Sports or Pilot Sports are great tires. Michelin has worked to extend their previous short life. I don't know by how much though since I only started using the new compound in the summer of 2014.

Finally,

I want to make it very clear, no shame in liking the Camry. It's a fine car and is really reliable. Light blue with khaki interior is popular at the home. Gladys declares "It's lovely!" and often takes her teal and brown Camry S for a spin after cookies and juice at 4:00. I knew Gladys would go for the sport. She's a rebel.
Appreciate 0