F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
GetBMWParts

08-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #3257
jbiswurm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
M2 log has a pretty steep boost ramp again up top and HPFP pressure dips slightly but not really a 'crash'. You do however have a knock after 5k right as boost ramps up hard which is the worst time to get knock. Same throttle control as before. Do you know if the M2 calls for 93 octane (the tune won't say but the car itself)? That could be why you are getting knocks and not great timing with it. The throttle control just seems to be a characteristic of the tune.

Stage 1 91 timing looks decent, not great though. You also have a knock at around the same place as the M2. Throttle angle and boost are basically completely flat per usual with BM3.

The ACN log does look the 'cleanest' overall in terms of control of parameters versus target. And no knock.
I cant imagine stock m2 needs 93 since 93 is not available in a lot of the country but i dont know for sure.

I am going to fill up at another station and log all three again.

Plugs arent old, have wagner fmic, oil changes 5k miles, and always using only shell or mobil 93 octane. Not sure what else i can do. If things dont clean up i guess ill just stay with the ACN map.

Thanks a lot for the review!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #3258
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
I cant imagine stock m2 needs 93 since 93 is not available in a lot of the country but i dont know for sure.

Plugs arent old, have wagner fmic, oil changes 5k miles, and always using only shell or mobil 93 octane. Not sure what else i can do. If things dont clean up i guess ill just stay with the ACN map.

There are a ton of factory cars, BMW included, that call for 93 even though it is not available across the country/world. It basically just means the quoted HP/TQ figures are based on that fuel; the engine is going to detune itself if you run lower octane (there is a adaptation specific to octane, for example).

Do you have E85 access? That's really the other option aside from trying different stations.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #3259
jbiswurm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There are a ton of factory cars, BMW included, that call for 93 even though it is not available across the country/world. It basically just means the quoted HP/TQ figures are based on that fuel; the engine is going to detune itself if you run lower octane (there is a adaptation specific to octane, for example).

Do you have E85 access? That's really the other option aside from trying different stations.
I probably could but for the three logs i just posted that still had kind of crappy timing i added 750ml of E98 to 1/8 tAnk of 93 and it didnt seem to clean up.

Also, i really dont want to deal with mixing fuel. If i have to run ACN so be it. Honestly the car is still fast enough for me as i am really more into handling performance than straight line speed. I just really like the m2 tune because its more linear and more power up top, more like an NA car. These stage 1 tunes just have so much down low torque that falls off up top and its not as enjoyable to me. I am 6mt and i enjoy the art of needing to be in the right gear at the right time to get power. With stage 1 ots i could leave the car in 3rd for the next year cause there is so much torque down low.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #3260
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I probably could but for the three logs i just posted that still had kind of crappy timing i added 750ml of E98 to 1/8 tAnk of 93 and it didnt seem to clean up.

Also, i really dont want to deal with mixing fuel. If i have to run ACN so be it. Honestly the car is still fast enough for me as i am really more into handling performance than straight line speed. I just really like the m2 tune because its more linear and more power up top, more like an NA car. These stage 1 tunes just have so much down low torque that falls off up top and its not as enjoyable to me. I am 6mt and i enjoy the art of needing to be in the right gear at the right time to get power. With stage 1 ots i could leave the car in 3rd for the next year cause there is so much torque down low.
Yeah, gotcha. I would say go through this tank, try some different gas, and get a few more M2 tune logs then before making a decision.

I know what you mean about the difference in power delivery betwen the tunes. BM3 OTS maps really do maximize low end torque and that initial torque shove always 'feels' fast but also makes the car feel like it gets slower as you rev it out.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #3261
itsrichierich
www.agatools.com
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Here are 3 logs I just did. Runs 1 and 2 were back to back. 3rd was like 10 minutes after run 2. Car is 13 335i (PWG) AT, running BM3 OTS E30 tune with full bolt on and stock plugs with 49k miles.

Run 1
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f2e...0b4344d03d841e

Run 2
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f2e...729b38e8c06234

Run 3
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f2e...729b38e8c06240
thejeremyman9 here are some logs after you requested some BM3 data.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #3262
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thejeremyman9 here are some logs after you requested some BM3 data.
Yeah i saw those, thanks. I will need to pull them into excel or something so i can do a comparison of AFR vs RPM with my MHD tune. I am also EWG though so the stage 2+ tune is E20 not E30. I'll still compare when i get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #3263
itsrichierich
www.agatools.com
Rep

Quote:
Yeah i saw those, thanks. I will need to pull them into excel or something so i can do a comparison of AFR vs RPM with my MHD tune. I am also EWG though so the stage 2+ tune is E20 not E30. I'll still compare when i get a chance.
Got it, just wanted to make sure you saw it.

If need be, I will run E20 on stage 2 91 tune if you want to see similarities.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #3264
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got it, just wanted to make sure you saw it.

If need be, I will run E20 on stage 2 91 tune if you want to see similarities.
No need to do that, especially if the map is for E30 (your timing would suffer). The more apples to apples comparison would be your logs compared with MHD's PWG E30 stage 2+ logs, since i believe the PWG maps are E30 on MHD. I'm sure there's some of those in the thread, i would just need to dig them up.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #3265
itsrichierich
www.agatools.com
Rep

Ok sounds good, let me know if you want me to do some messing around. It only takes 45 seconds for me to reflash while at the gas station haha. I've been switching my E30 mix to 91 after 2 fill ups just to flush the lines out.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:50 AM   #3266
jbiswurm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, gotcha. I would say go through this tank, try some different gas, and get a few more M2 tune logs then before making a decision.

I know what you mean about the difference in power delivery betwen the tunes. BM3 OTS maps really do maximize low end torque and that initial torque shove always 'feels' fast but also makes the car feel like it gets slower as you rev it out.
I need some more help, jeremyman. I filled up at another station - mobil 93 and pull a few more logs - the stage 1 ACN 91 and the stock tune.

To my surprise, the stock tune timing is really messy. No knocks, but just messy all over: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f32...729b09e8acb0c8

The 91 ACN logs both have a a couple knocks in them as well. https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f32...0b4315781221cf

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f32...729b09e8acb0c3

What I don't understand is that I cannot believe that my 93 does not have the octane needed to run the ACN 91 stage 1 tune. But my timing seems to be equally shitty across all cylinders so I am not thinking plugs or coils. the plugs have about 10K miles on them and the coils are original with 35K on them but I've never been more than stage 1.

So, my main questions are:
1) Are these safe enough to run? Are my previous M2 logs safe enough to run? I don't need perfection per se, but I do need the reliability of a DD.

2) What do I make of the stock timing being so bad across all cyl?

3) Any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0