F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
proTUNING Freaks

07-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #3147
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
1. Absolutely nothing changed between the first 2 runs and last 2. I did stop for gas between the first 2 and last 2 runs? But I don't think that has anything to do with it.

2. I am PWG. Does the PWG do something different than the EWG when it comes to boost?

3. Typically when datalogging, do you get on the throttle past the "step" or whatever it's called? Or do I need to get on the throttle till that "step" point?

4. I will definitely go through your thread again. I actually stayed up pretty late last night reading your thread. My lady was like "who's got your attention?" and I said "Jeremy"... So she basically hates you already
1. Should not affect anything boost wise.

2. Well yeah, PWG is totally different boost control method (pneumatic vs. electronic wastegate), and smaller turbo, so some boost tapering off at higher RPM is normal.

3. Not required, no. Its the kickdown, and you can get 100% throttle without depressing it. Its mostly just used to command the lowest gear possible (i.e., got quickly passing a car on the highway). If you run XHP, you can also set custom shiftpoints, etc, based on whether or not it is depressed.

4. Lol, that is actually pretty funny.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #3148
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhdimzy View Post
Would be greatly appreciated if someone can have a look at my log and give any tips. Also had some questions about what I was seeing in the logs

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5efd...90c615fc46da3c

IAT - At high levels in general and increasing quickly
What damage can high IAT cause?

Boost - MAP Meeting target

Timing - Consistent for most part other then Cyl 3
A previously log also showed that Cyl 3 with not consistent with the rest (https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ee2...0b437a71e5d359) what does that mean?

Knocks - None

2013 335i PWG
Stage 1 Bm3 & ER CP
Temperature outside was 88 degrees F
For the first log, it doesn't look like the boost is hitting the target and MAF is also peaking at around 32lb/min which should be above 40lb/min, possibly causing higher IATs. Am I right about this? If not then I need to give thejeremyman9 's "How To" post another thorough read

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 07-02-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #3149
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
For the first log, it doesn't look like the boost is hitting the target and MAF is also peaking at around 32lb/min which should be above 40lb/min, possibly causing higher IATs. Am I right about this? If not then I need to give thejeremyman9 's "How To" post another thorough read
The boost surges over target, becomes wavy, then trails off below target in upper RPM. He is PWG so the trailing off up top might be within normal spec. However it is only stage 1.

MAF is relatively lower than 40 because it is a stage 1 tune. The 40s peak is for a stage 2/2+ tune.

Not sure what you mean by IATs, MAF should not affect IATs, thats just his stock IC not being up to the task.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #3150
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The boost surges over target, becomes wavy, then trails off below target in upper RPM. He is PWG so the trailing off up top might be within normal spec. However it is only stage 1.

MAF is relatively lower than 40 because it is a stage 1 tune. The 40s peak is for a stage 2/2+ tune.

Not sure what you mean by IATs, MAF should not affect IATs, thats just his stock IC not being up to the task.
I see at around 6200 rpm MAP is 11.5psi and boost target is 15.8psi. This much deviation is fine for PWG? For my EWG stage 1 it's usually within 1 psi of target even at 6-6.3k rpm.

EDIT: My MAF usually peaks at around 41lb/min, again just stage 1, however, I do have an aftermarket intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #3151
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I see at around 6200 rpm MAP is 11.5psi and boost target is 15.8psi. This much deviation is fine for PWG? For my EWG stage 1 it's usually within 1 psi of target even at 6-6.3k rpm.

EDIT: My MAF usually peaks at around 41lb/min, again just stage 1, however, I do have an aftermarket intake.
I would need to look back at some other PWG logs, but it might be... I dont really think he has a boost leak because he is on target for a while and its trails off like typical PWG; just not sure if it trails off "too much". He is also at a little altitude it looks like.

EWG i would say yeah, typically the rule of thumb is +/- 1psi. What you see in his log would definitely suggest a leak for EWG. The BM3 targets are just really aggressive in general, even more so for what a PWG can sustain.

For example look at boost control in my recent logs: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/2...&data=4-5-7-21

Interesting. I think his MAF big just be reading low. It is very erratic as i mentioned earlier. Not sure why it would be like that on stock intake. Perhaps it needs a cleaning.

OP - do you use a oiled drop in filter or anything?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #3152
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Quote:
No worries, I want to help but we just need some direction. Its possible there is some data in the logs to show what the misfires might be related to, but like i said we just need to know where to look. Can you set up a camera in the car (gopro or phone for example), and start the recording at the same time as the log, then reproduce the issue? That will give us both the video and the corresponding data to look at.

Aside from that, any codes, active or shadow? If it "sputters like crazy" i imagine the DME has to be picking up on something.

How many miles on plugs, and what brand/gap? Miles on car/coils?
plugs are brand new coils maybe 10k or less the car has 87k

no gap stock spark plugs thats what protunning freaks said to use so i am using oem spark plugs
      07-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #3153
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post

no gap stock spark plugs thats what protunning freaks said to use so i am using oem spark plugs
OEM plugs should be fine. You didnt answer my other question... so i would check for codes and shadow codes if you have no already. You need to know if it is from a specific cylinder or what.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #3154
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Quote:
Quote:

OEM plugs should be fine. You didnt answer my other question... so i would check for codes and shadow codes if you have no already. You need to know if it is from a specific cylinder or what.
No codes sorry

Yeah I try to make sputter or misfire like crazy and my car just does not throw any codes

I check in my Bm3 for codes and I never get any codes

ummm one thing I am noticing and I am thinking it might be the problem is my valve cover

the crankcase is maybe bad or the pcv valve

I read some where that that can give you misfires idk if that's true
I am starting to get a smell of burnt oil on my exhaust and I also ready that maybe that's from the valve cover too
And then my oil cap if I try to take it off while the car is on is really hard BECUASE is like a suction cup

is just sucking it in and is kinda hard to open it up and I also read that that's another sign that I maybe have a bad valve cover
What do you think ???
      07-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #3155
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No codes sorry

Yeah I try to make sputter or misfire like crazy and my car just does not throw any codes

I check in my Bm3 for codes and I never get any codes

ummm one thing I am noticing and I am thinking it might be the problem is my valve cover

the crankcase is maybe bad or the pcv valve

I read some where that that can give you misfires idk if that's true
I am starting to get a smell of burnt oil on my exhaust and I also ready that maybe that's from the valve cover too
And then my oil cap if I try to take it off while the car is on is really hard BECUASE is like a suction cup

is just sucking it in and is kinda hard to open it up and I also read that that's another sign that I maybe have a bad valve cover
What do you think ???
If you have a vacuum leak due to bad PCV i suppose that could cause misfire... but you would expect it to happen all the time. You should be able to tell from visual inspection if your VCG is leaking onto the manifold and DP area. That would explain the smell.

I have never tried to pull my oil cap off while the engine is running so i am not 100% sure if this car builds vacuum in the crankcase under normal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #3156
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Hello all,
Went stage 1 a few days ago. So far so good but I feel the motor breaking up around 5k. I took two logs, one in comfort and one in sport plus. If anyone could help with the logs and see something I'm missing. Thank you!

2014 335i Xdrive n55 ewg 8at with 56k miles.
Vrsf charge pipe
Vrsf 5inch HD FMIC
Oem plugs with 2k miles on them.
Oem intake
Oem down pipe
Mperformance exhaust

Comfort mode:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5efe...0b435631b7d26a

Sport plus:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5efe...90c67f338e8c7e
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #3157
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all,
Went stage 1 a few days ago. So far so good but I feel the motor breaking up around 5k. I took two logs, one in comfort and one in sport plus. If anyone could help with the logs and see something I'm missing. Thank you!

Vrsf charge pipe
Vrsf 5inch HD FMIC
Oem intake
Oem down pipe
Mperformance exhaust

Comfort mode:

Sport plus:
Something is super weird here... your MAP sensor appears to be mislabeled as MAF, because MAF is following pre-throttle boost almost exactly...

At the same time, the actual MAP vales are stuck at 100 the entire time, so something is definitely wrong with sensor/wiring, or there is just a weird datalogging bug.

I would definitely email PTF to see what they say...

Also read this thread in the meantime to learn more: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

Finally, you are missing a bunch of parameters to make sure you enable those before logging again.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #3158
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all,

Vrsf charge pipe
Vrsf 5inch HD FMIC
Oem intake
Oem down pipe
Mperformance exhaust

Comfort mode:

Sport plus:
Something is super weird here... your MAP sensor appears to be mislabeled as MAF, because MAF is following pre-throttle boost almost exactly...

At the same time, the actual MAP vales are stuck at 100 the entire time, so something is definitely wrong with sensor/wiring, or there is just a weird datalogging bug.

I would definitely email PTF to see what they say...

Also read this thread in the meantime to learn more: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

Finally, you are missing a bunch of parameters to make sure you enable those before logging again.
Thank you for the help! It's much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #3159
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

So I found the boost leak that you guys said I had. Following thejeremyman9 post about making and the process of making a boost leak test cap. It was the chargepipe to FMIC that was leaking (bad).

Big shout out to the o-ring store shipping my order out overnight even though I paid the standard 2 day shipping. However, in the end, none of the o-rings fit my EVolution Racewerks bolt ons.

Attached is a picture of the OEM seal ripped as I installed it. I replaced it and tested for boost leak again and didn’t find anything. Here are my 2 logs after fixing my boost leak.

Run 1
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f00...90c60719a21484

Run 2
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f00...0b431f18a319b3

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #3160
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

Looks like a decent/typical pwg log. Right down to the big disappointment in pre throttle boost in the higher rpms.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #3161
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA8151 View Post
Looks like a decent/typical pwg log. Right down to the big disappointment in pre throttle boost in the higher rpms.
Man there is so much boost drop off in the upper RPM... I don't look at enough PWG logs to know for certain if that's normal, 7psi up top seems like a lot to be below target. Can PWG really only hold 10psi at 6000 rpm? I know the fall off, just not sure exactly how much.

Having said that if you tested and have no leaks you have no leaks. You can email PTF, let them know you fixed a leak, and ask them if this deviation is normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #3162
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Man there is so much boost drop off in the upper RPM... I don't look at enough PWG logs to know for certain if that's normal, 7psi up top seems like a lot to be below target. Can PWG really only hold 10psi at 6000 rpm? I know the fall off, just not sure exactly how much.

Having said that if you tested and have no leaks you have no leaks. You can email PTF, let them know you fixed a leak, and ask them if this deviation is normal.
No, it's about right that PWG can only hold about 10psi up top or so. The turbo is really tiny and it's completely normal unfortunately. There's a reason why people upgrade to PS1 or PS2 (Like I did) changes the car completely.
      07-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #3163
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
No, it's about right that PWG can only hold about 10psi up top or so. The turbo is really tiny and it's completely normal unfortunately. There's a reason why people upgrade to PS1 or PS2 (Like I did) changes the car completely.
After doing some reading online, it does seem normal. While my lady was passed out drunk from 4th of July, I was laying in bed and also see that folks upgrade to PS1. I started looking into it but again, that's just going down the rabbit hole.

For now, I am going to keep my setup as is. Pretty happy with where it's at. Might look into small things like kickdown stopper and the BMW oil cooler thermostat blocker to keep oil temp down.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #3164
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
After doing some reading online, it does seem normal. While my lady was passed out drunk from 4th of July, I was laying in bed and also see that folks upgrade to PS1. I started looking into it but again, that's just going down the rabbit hole.

For now, I am going to keep my setup as is. Pretty happy with where it's at. Might look into small things like kickdown stopper and the BMW oil cooler thermostat blocker to keep oil temp down.
You might be able to get some more boost out of it with a turbo inlet, or anything to optimize air in/air out. MPPK airbox mod could also help if you are on stock intake (see my post in the aftermarket inlet thread). Money better spent there than on the other mods you listed... I would not install a thermostat blocker, not needed unless you are tracking the car or something and detrimental to warmup.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #3165
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
You might be able to get some more boost out of it with a turbo inlet, or anything to optimize air in/air out. MPPK airbox mod could also help if you are on stock intake (see my post in the aftermarket inlet thread). Money better spent there than on the other mods you listed... I would not install a thermostat blocker, not needed unless you are tracking the car or something and detrimental to warmup.
I was looking at the MTS (?) turbo inlet but wasn't sure how much of an improvement that was. It did tick me off a little bit that my Injen intake was connect to a cheap plastic turbo inlet though.

I might track my car a day or two as I wanted to see how the car would do at Chuckwalla, but I only considered those parts because they're like $50. trying to fill my "mod" needs without dropping $$$.

Edit: The thermostat delete will do more harm than good I'm guessing?

Last edited by itsrichierich; 07-06-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #3166
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at the MTS (?) turbo inlet but wasn't sure how much of an improvement that was. It did tick me off a little bit that my Injen intake was connect to a cheap plastic turbo inlet though.

I might track my car a day or two as I wanted to see how the car would do at Chuckwalla, but I only considered those parts because they're like $50. trying to fill my "mod" needs without dropping $$$.

Edit: The thermostat delete will do more harm than good I'm guessing?
MST v2 is what i just installed and it is a noticeable improvement. Read the last couple pages here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post26395549

Gains are likely maximized when you also have an intake, or do MPPK airbox mod like i did.

Oil T-stat delete is really just unnecessary unless you need it for track duty, and yes, especially if you live in a cold climate, you don't want to run it as you will basically have full oil flow to the oil cooler from startup and it will take forever for your oil to get up to temp (if it even does).
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #3167
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

How's the quality on it? For some reason I thought they were manufactured here in the states but it looks like it comes from Taiwan.

To keep things on topic, hows the BM3 trans flash? I currently have the Sport Auto Trans (2TB) which is butter smooth, almost DCT smooth, so I don't want to ruin it with the BM3 trans flash if it doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #3168
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How's the quality on it? For some reason I thought they were manufactured here in the states but it looks like it comes from Taiwan.

To keep things on topic, hows the BM3 trans flash? I currently have the Sport Auto Trans (2TB) which is butter smooth, almost DCT smooth, so I don't want to ruin it with the BM3 trans flash if it doesn't help.
No complaints on quality of MST. The silicone is thick and seems very durable, then its just 2 pieces of billet aluminum that are equally high quality. Its big, but it fit just fine. You can bump the inlet thread of PM me if you have more questions, but my recent post there has tons of pictures and sums it up.

Can't comment from personal experience on the BM3 trans flash, but from what i have heard, XHP is definitely the better/more refined option. I don't think there are any problems with the BM3 one persay, but i believe some people reported slow paddle response and just overall not on the same level as XHP. I have the same trans and XHP was a big improvement over stock, just did it myself a couple months ago.
Appreciate 0