F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > New Windows on home Need Advice
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

New Windows on home Need Advice

Hey everyone, I really love this forum honestly for the vast knowledge people have outside BMW.

So my parents decided to order windows to be replaced....

I believe my current windows are wood. There is rot on the exterior sills on most windows(or just moss). Now i don't know if anyone has used castle windows. But I just found the contract and today the last day to cancel....
my problem is, I don't know enough about it. and cant take the contractor's word on what he defines as repairing the window. We need 22 double hung windows and rot repair. Anderson wanted just north of 20k. Whereas castle window is only charging 12k. Whats the catch? I know different window brands, but 8k-9k must be going somewhere? Ugh last minute things....I appreicate anyone's help. Ill post the contract, and a picture of my window

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Captain
614
Rep
708
Posts

Drives: 2019 X6 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Google is my friend

https://www.yelp.com/biz/castle-windows-mt-laurel-2

Check out the reviews, they're mixed.

I've never heard of Castle windows and their website doesn't show how long they've been in business ( a quick glance anyway). In my opinion, a lifetime warranty/guarantee is only good if the company is still around. I know it's a big difference in dollars but Anderson has been around for a long long time. I just had Anderson Replacement replace sliding patio doors and they were an absolute pleasure to work with.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)



Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1232
Rep
3,705
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

This is tough." Within existing sills, jambs and header...unless otherwise stated " seems like these parts need to be refurbished and looking at the pics it looks as those those parts may have been covered with either aluminum or vinyl. I'm not sure what kind of windows are in their now and I can't tell if the sill are properly angled.

And then the screens, newer screens or no screens or roll up screens.

There is something to be said for wooden windows and the ability to repair. I'd cancel and do more research - you need to go into this with window samples and a full knowledge of exactly what is getting replaced and what is to be carried over.
Appreciate 1
2000cs233.00

      09-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Looks like the exterior of my windows were covered in vinyl about 10yrs back...dont know the condition of wood.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1232
Rep
3,705
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Looks like the exterior of my windows were covered in vinyl about 10yrs back...dont know the condition of wood.
It's really hard to know what to do by the pics and the contract. Did Anderson write out a contract with description of work to be done ?

And its really important to see an actual casement window to gauge how much less glass then the old windows.

Hopefully you'll get some more responses here.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
It's really hard to know what to do by the pics and the contract. Did Anderson write out a contract with description of work to be done ?

And its really important to see an actual casement window to gauge how much less glass then the old windows.

Hopefully you'll get some more responses here.
Any advice on how to take better pics? Also casement? all my windows are double hung, and are being replaced into double hung.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
cmyx6go
Captain
614
Rep
708
Posts

Drives: 2019 X6 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
For what it's worth, when Anderson wrote my contract they stated that they would repair/replace the frame if any rot was beneath the sill once they removed the old door. I'm assuming this is standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1232
Rep
3,705
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Any advice on how to take better pics? Also casement? all my windows are double hung, and are being replaced into double hung.
can you take a pic from outside ? and any pics of rot from outside.

my mistake with the casement

it's worth joining CR to get the info right now https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm

Last edited by ScottSinger; 09-14-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
a4nut
Private
46
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: 13 135is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (0)

I have replaced my entire house with replacement windows once a few years ago, and am currently shopping for my new house. Anderson is crazy expensive, so unless you have architecturally significant windows you are replacing, it's not worth it. I used softlite in my last house, I was happy with them. As you can imagine, installation is a critical part as a great window poorly installed will be crap.

You could hire a handyman to repair the sills/frames, and whirl he's doing that you can shop for a better deal on windows. Or just confirm that what you have is good. Either way, might be worth taking some more time, and if the company is solid you price shouldn't change. If they say it will , it must not be that good of a deal in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
I have replaced my entire house with replacement windows once a few years ago, and am currently shopping for my new house. Anderson is crazy expensive, so unless you have architecturally significant windows you are replacing, it's not worth it. I used softlite in my last house, I was happy with them. As you can imagine, installation is a critical part as a great window poorly installed will be crap.

You could hire a handyman to repair the sills/frames, and whirl he's doing that you can shop for a better deal on windows. Or just confirm that what you have is good. Either way, might be worth taking some more time, and if the company is solid you price shouldn't change. If they say it will , it must not be that good of a deal in the first place.
Yeh our builder used some trash ass wood double hungs so honestly nything will look better lol. looks like my dad didn't sign the contract only my mom, so technically not bound to it yet. thank god. They do home repairs based on cost, and not factoring how shitty installers can be
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
908
Rep
1,526
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Can't see the contract, so this may be answered in the details there.

I'd second the 'cancel and take more time' option. You do not want to just seal up dry-rotted wood underneath nice pretty looking cladding - it is great looking, but then your house will have some real problems. Since that repair is fairly complex, I'd be suspicious of anybody who wrote a bid that did not specify pretty clearly what they were replacing, or had a per-unit price (i.e. any rot is repaired at a cost of x$ per window, etc). 'Flat rate and we fix whatever we find' sounds like an incentive to overlook replacing stuff, and once it is covered over, you won't know until the trouble starts. FWIW, if you want to check yourself: if you can push a nail or pin into the wood more than about 1/4" by hand, it is dry-rotted. This will only get at the surface, and there is more underneath, but if the sills are rotted, likely some of the subframe is too. May want to ask some neighbors (with nice windows) who did theirs and if they were happy.
Appreciate 1
2000cs233.00

      09-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
3015
Rep
3,238
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

We put in impact glass in last year. Prices were all over the board. I concur with cancelling and taking more time to evaluate and understand materials / scope of work for each company. This is not something you want a problem with later.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
2000cs
Second Lieutenant
233
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Lots of good window choices: Pella, Anderson, Marvin and others.
You can do this job yourself if you spend a bit of time researching on the Internet/YouTube. It isn’t hard and you’ll know exactly what you got. But it is time consuming. Maybe buy one window where it won’t be too obvious and give it a try?

I agree with those who already said cancel and take more time to evaluate. If Castle gives you grief about that, then you just learned something about Castle!
Appreciate 1
FCobra942125.00

      09-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Savageenterprise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
244
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Hey everyone, I really love this forum honestly for the vast knowledge people have outside BMW.

So my parents decided to order windows to be replaced....

I believe my current windows are wood. There is rot on the exterior sills on most windows(or just moss). Now i don't know if anyone has used castle windows. But I just found the contract and today the last day to cancel....
my problem is, I don't know enough about it. and cant take the contractor's word on what he defines as repairing the window. We need 22 double hung windows and rot repair. Anderson wanted just north of 20k. Whereas castle window is only charging 12k. Whats the catch? I know different window brands, but 8k-9k must be going somewhere? Ugh last minute things....I appreicate anyone's help. Ill post the contract, and a picture of my window

Make sure the Anderson windows are not "replacement by Andersen". The likely difference is that many companies compete with "replacement window prices". If you get legit Andersen or Pella wood windows that will be the difference in cost. 22 windows is a lot of windows and obviously depending on the size/ type costs vary.

Just for a point of reference I bought 7 Pella double hung wood windows with the sashes last year for my house when I was renovating. It cost me $3700 USD just for the windows, no labor as I did the labor myself.

Triple it you're at about 12k (21-22 windows) and about $200-$250 per window is general labor rate so you're right there with the large quote. Maybe should be a bit less
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake
Appreciate 1
FCobra942125.00

      09-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Major
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
1041
Rep
1,460
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Make sure the Anderson windows are not "replacement by Andersen". The likely difference is that many companies compete with "replacement window prices". If you get legit Andersen or Pella wood windows that will be the difference in cost. 22 windows is a lot of windows and obviously depending on the size/ type costs vary.

Just for a point of reference I bought 7 Pella double hung wood windows with the sashes last year for my house when I was renovating. It cost me $3700 USD just for the windows, no labor as I did the labor myself.

Triple it you're at about 12k (21-22 windows) and about $200-$250 per window is general labor rate so you're right there with the large quote. Maybe should be a bit less
thanks for the perspective. yeah 12k sound too cheap, something is guaranteed to be half ass, and for something that is a legit barrier to the outside is important
SMFH why they so many window in my house

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
3496
Rep
1,968
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
thanks for the perspective. yeah 12k sound too cheap, something is guaranteed to be half ass, and for something that is a legit barrier to the outside is important
SMFH why they so many window in my house

Agreed, something is not right. $12k for 22 windows is less than $500 per window, including install and tax? Doesn't add up. Corners are being cut, or there's hidden costs, something.

We did 17 windows in our house for $21k. Granted NONE of them were standard shape or size, but the installers were super professional. There's a ton that can go wrong with a window install done poorly and since it's on the outside of your house you could never notice it until it's way late you have water damage, rot, insect infestation, etc. Best to stick to a highly rated product and installer. Same holds true for roofs. There's places you can save a buck and places where it's best to cough up the dough. This is not the time to look for a bargain price and discount installer.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1078
Rep
7,364
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Full frame or inserts?

Inserts are the cheapest route. In any case you want to look at the attributes of the windows themselves. Not all window glass is the same. The can reflect varying abouts of heat l, UV, light. Local/state building code will tell you what's code min for your area.

Frame composition is important as well. Vinyl covered wood, fiberglass, aluminum, wood.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #19
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
692
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: a
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a

iTrader: (0)

dammit , I thought this was about windows
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #20
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
692
Rep
638
Posts

Drives: a
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #21
knowthebattle
Master Monkey
knowthebattle's Avatar
215
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: your mom's....

iTrader: (0)

It can be a more than just window A and window B. No two windows are a like. The build quality, glass quality, and add-ons (argon gas, capillary tubes, etc) can all affect the price. Some companies use different types of film for their Low-E and HP Low-E film they use.

And sometimes you pay the price for the more known name brand because they will give you less hassle if you have to do any type of warranty or replacements that need to be shipped.

You get what you pay for, remember that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #22
saeyedoc
Captain
128
Rep
756
Posts

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone had any experience with Indow windows? We're remodeling a MCM home and would rather not change the look with replacement casement windows. These attach to the inside of the casement and provide thermal and noise insulation without changing the look, on top of which they are much less expensive. https://indowwindows.com/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST