F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Auto stop/start do you use it? Any long-term negatives to it?
proTUNING Freaks

04-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #45
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
From a different perspective, when I go into the local town I walk for the health benefits. But on one stretch, traffic lights hold everyone up, and so there is a queue of cars, almost all diesels because this is the UK, and they are all putting out a foul smell of burnt diesel whilst they wait for the lights to change.

If they all had stop/start switching off their engines then the place would smell much better, and kids wouldn't be getting choked on their way to school. It isn't all about what we prefer as drivers ...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I shut mine off immediately. I am so glad they let you do it. Our Q7 I want to shut it off but it's not easy or evident like the bimmer with the button right next to the ignition.

I learned how dangerous it can actually be as I was crossing a street and pulled forward into the median and slowed down to let a car through but then was going to immediately punch it as there was a small gap in traffic I could make except when I stopped literally just for that second it shut the engine off and when I hit the gas I didn't have immediate power to clear the small gap. the delay allowed the traffic to catch up and then the power hit immediately after the delay and I lurched forward only to have to hammer the brakes and not get t-boned. Lesson learned, it kicks in too soon to trust. Stoplight to stoplight sure it's fine but zipping around town it's annoying if not dangerous.
Appreciate 0