F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth problems
Studio RSR

12-28-2021, 05:11 AM   #1
Hansen27
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 330E

Bluetooth problems

Hello everybody!
Ive just bought my first BMW which ended up being a 2016 330E.
But I've run into an issue, everytime i hop into the car and pair up my phone everything is working well until I've parked and go let's say grocery shopping.
When I return to the car and want to leave again, then the I drive have either removed my phone from the pairing list or it will still be on the list but unable to connect to the phone.

Only way to get it to connect is to unpair it and then re pair. And that I everytime I'm going for a drive….
Anyone that have experienced something similar?

Oh and the phone is an iPhone 13
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:50 AM   #2
milkyxanny
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC, M Sport

Check your driver profiles in iDrive. My Vehicle>Profiles

Might be in some kind of "Guest" or "Drive Off" setting where it doesn't hold onto those connections

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
Elcomisano
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118D M

I had similar issue. I dunno if it can sound silly but the problem to connection that I have experienced was due to my phone getting first connected with the smartwatch. If I disconnect from it and it seems working.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

These cars can't be updated so you're stuck with whatever I drive it shipped with. You can try confirming you're running the latest iOS. I've found that the car shuts off Bluetooth when it goes into accessory mode and the interface when playing Apple Music sometimes screws up. It would switch from the current playlist to my custom playlist so I deleted it but it still gets weird from time to time so I have to use the watch or phone to skip tracks and album art and song/artist info often don't display correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
Hansen27
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcomisano View Post
I had similar issue. I dunno if it can sound silly but the problem to connection that I have experienced was due to my phone getting first connected with the smartwatch. If I disconnect from it and it seems working.
Ive didnt Think of that, ill try that tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
Hansen27
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
These cars can't be updated so you're stuck with whatever I drive it shipped with. You can try confirming you're running the latest iOS. I've found that the car shuts off Bluetooth when it goes into accessory mode and the interface when playing Apple Music sometimes screws up. It would switch from the current playlist to my custom playlist so I deleted it but it still gets weird from time to time so I have to use the watch or phone to skip tracks and album art and song/artist info often don't display correctly.
Great… so the only other option is actually to do a complete retrofit?

I'm currently running i drive 4 so nbt evo I think it's called?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Hansen27
Registered
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkyxanny View Post
Check your driver profiles in iDrive. My Vehicle>Profiles

Might be in some kind of "Guest" or "Drive Off" setting where it doesn't hold onto those connections

GL
I'm gonna try that tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Great… so the only other option is actually to do a complete retrofit?

I'm currently running i drive 4 so nbt evo I think it's called?
You could retrofit a 2018 head unit to get Apple Car Play or aftermarket head unit or something that goes on top of the existing hardware like using an Apple TV to get car play in your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
jcortez75
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i xdrive F36

Yes, I got this Carplay MMI and it was a game-changer. Works with iPhone or Android devices. I like it since it is also wireless. Once connected it integrates with iDrive and all the controls on the steering wheel. And with a button, you can go back and forth from the BMW interface or to the MMI. Installation is just a little extensive, but just be patient and take your time. The best part is this unit has an audio EQ, so if you have a regular hifi sound system, you can make adjustments to the EQ to make it sound better.

https://amzn.to/34ainh1

There are several in the market, just look for one that is compatible with your car. There is NBT, CIC, and NBT EVO.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen27 View Post
When I return to the car and want to leave again, then the I drive have either removed my phone from the pairing list or it will still be on the list but unable to connect to the phone.
Mine disconnects from the phone like that on occasion. If I expect to be getting a call I hit the phone button on the console to see if the connection is active. If it isn't I restart the phone, and then it will pair up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #11
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
I have started having issues on my 2014 328d wagon and my iPhone not fully connecting to the External Devices side of the Bluetooth side of the iDrive, whereas my phone connects perfectly to my 2011 M3. Same phone and the older car's system synchs fine. I have to fully reboot my iPhone to get it to work on my 328d. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0