F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Can the Vehicle Tracking option in iDrive be coded out?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
CaptainTickle
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Smile Can the Vehicle Tracking option in iDrive be coded out?

Hi everyone

First posting!! I just got my '67 plate 335d xDrive and have been fiddling about with the iDrive. As you all know, the option in Vehicle Settings for Vehicle Tracking can be easily selected off in the car so if some sticky fingered individual gets his (or her!) paws on it, they can easily select the tracking off. I was wondering whether or not some genius had come up with a way of coding that option out so it can't be switched off in the car?? I have searched the forums (fora?) but haven't found anything specific...

I've asked Greater Manchester Police whether or not Operation Cundall is still active or not, awaiting a reply.... There have been a few like mine go missing near me recently so I'm keen to avoid the same experience!!

Any suggestions/information very much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
That checkbox is only to allow the vehicle to be tracked via the Mobile app. BMW still has the ability to track your vehicle even with that checkbox unchecked.

The only true way to disable vehicle tracking is to disconnect the TCU and code it out but you will lose all of your ConnectedDrive services like SOS, RTTI, BMW Online, Remote Services etc.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
CaptainTickle
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your prompt reply! I might not have written my initial post that clearly, what I’m after is to know whether or not you can code out the ability to disable the vehicle tracking within iDrive... I’m all for the ability to track it (especially with the amount of cars going missing where I live lately), but it would be great if the thieves couldn’t just go to vehicle settings and deselect tracking... Of course the alternative is to just get my hand in my pocket and invest in a decent tracker but I thought I’d ask the experts!!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
Pj3k
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
That checkbox is only to allow the vehicle to be tracked via the Mobile app. BMW still has the ability to track your vehicle even with that checkbox unchecked.

The only true way to disable vehicle tracking is to disconnect the TCU and code it out but you will lose all of your ConnectedDrive services like SOS, RTTI, BMW Online, Remote Services etc.
Had mine stolen last month and I’ve only just heard about operation cundall. The problem is, none of the police and none of the BMW Munich staff seem to know what I’m talking about when I mention it. Are you sure BMW can track the car when GPS is unticked? And who should I contact about this?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:44 PM   #5
acasmc
Rep
Drives: F31

I'm not sure it is legal for BMW to track vehicles without consent?
Appreciate 0