F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > VW to BMW, my experience
proTUNING Freaks

09-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

VW to BMW, my experience

Hey guys, wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself as I am new to the BMW scene as well as this forum (though I have been nosing around this forum for the past month since buying the car).

I have always been a "car" guy, going back to highschool when I owned a black 1991 240sx SEL with super hicas. Did the typical mods which I could afford at that time, ebay intake, custom cat-back, suspension, and a stage 1 clutch. Seeing how much these cars have increased in value...and how much fun it would be to throw a LS1 in there..I wish I never sold it! Right before college was over I bought a 96' honda 2 door civic DX with an LS/VTEC swap. Pretty much every bolt on you could throw at it. It was fun, quick, and a total sleeper. Unfortunately, it needed some on-going work and love and at the time I did not have a garage so I decided to sell and get something newer and more reliable. Walked into a VW dealership as I knew a friend that worked there and walked out with a brand new 2008 GTI. Ended up modding it to a perfect OEM+ with APR Stage 2+ tuning. I had it right where I wanted it, was happy with the power, how the car shifted with a short shifter and full motor mounts, and it got pretty good MPGs. Fast forward to 2014 and my company moves me to Cali. I didnt feel like fussing with anything illegal so I put the OEM downpipe and intake back on and down tuned it to APR Stage 1 to pass emissions. Car never felt the same...and going from a house with a garage in VA to a small apartment with nowhere to work on a car in CA made me fall out of love real quick with the GTI. I also had a child now and my wife stayed home so I sold the GTI...and picked up a 2004 Golf GL. After a few months of driving around the Golf, I had to get rid of it, turned it in and brought home a 2013 VW Touareg for the wife (amazing SUV) and started to daily her car, which was a 2013 Jetta SEL w NAV. Plan was to drive the Jetta for a few more years and then get back into something more my style with a stick. Well, last month I was rear-ended coming into work and the Jetta was totaled. I had to act quick and get a new car and I didnt want to make the mistake of buying a beater like when I picked up the 2004 Golf....so I figured I would get a car I liked long term. There is also a 98% chance I will be moving to GA by end of the year so it made sense to grab something nice knowing I can take care of it in a garage in the near future.

So what did I have my eye on? Well... a few cars came to mind. 2008 VW R32...because I felt very comfortable in the MK5 chassis and I loved the VR6 sound...but it only came in an auto (DSG). B8.5 S4....well because they are fast, tune-able, you can find in a 6 speed. And lastly, the new MK7 Golf R...which are turning out to be very quick cars when tuned and I think they look great. Well I shot the R32 down as it was just too tricky to find one in great shape as quick as I needed one. The S4 and Golf R would put me out mid to high 30s used....which was over my budget of 30K. Then... I ran into the 328i M-sport... It pretty much had all I wanted. A nice luxury / sporty euro car, that had the looks inside and out of an M (close....a lot better than the "S-Line" audis) but kept insurance down and MPGs up with the 2.0T. Also, seemed the 328i's motor had a good bit of power to it....AND the car could be had used with a CPO warranty for my price range. So I started searching....and it was nearly impossible to find an M-sport with a 6 speed. Time was short so I had to jump the gun and go for an auto. Found a 2013 328i M sport with NAV, heated seats, moonroof, red interior (which I think makes the car look pretty damn special), and lighting package. Lighting package was a make or break deal...I couldn't stand to have normal headlights on my VW much less a freaking BMW.. Went in, test drove it, bought it on the spot for what I think was a pretty good deal. Also paid an extra $2150 for extended warranty so im covered until July 2020 or 100K miles. Not sure if I made the right decision on going with the extra year for $2150 or not...

I've driven the car a bit for the past month...my thoughts.

* Doors and trunk dont feel as solid as VW? The trunk definitely stands out as it doesnt have a solid sound when shutting vs the VW. Also, sometimes the trunk doesnt always pop up as it should.
* Car has alot of interior rattles and noises when going over rough roads. Smooth roads little to no issue at all.
* BMW key fob feels pretty cheap. My wifes VW Touareg key fob is a fantastic piece to touch and hold.
* Love the way the BMW handles and feels on the road. Really sporty from the factory and super comfy. I fit so well in the car and thank GOD it doesnt have a giant protruding center console like most cars now adays. Even some of the new VW's have center consoles with hard plastic that my right knee hits up against and causes pain and frustration for my 6'3 body haha.
* RWD FTW...hands down. I had no plans on buying and modding a FWD car again.
* I miss having a chirp or beep when I lock the car...without it I keep thinking the BMW never locked...lol...guess ill get used to it.
* Still going back and forth in my head about the manual transmission... I really love driving a stick...and although the auto is super fast...and likely a quicker car because of it...I dont know if it won me over...
* Wish I knew about the non-sport vs. sport auto tranny.. I got the normal one without paddle shifters. I read that there is indeed a difference in speed between the two, yet mine shifts fast as hell for me (but again I am used to manual cars) so no real complaints. Wish it did have a launch mode and wish sport + disabled the kickdown and didnt up-shift for me... (like it does with the sport tranny). Wondering why there isnt an aftermarket company that can tune your normal tranny to make it a sport tranny? As from what I read it is the same hardware, just different software?

Mods / Plans:

Already did the black kidney grills
Black color match front reflectors
M performance rear spoiler. Would LIKE to go OEM....but seems pretty decent options from aftermarket that are under $100...
M performance rear splitter. Again would like to go OEM but lots of cheaper options.
Maybe Dinan lowering springs...I really dont want a stiffer ride though
Maybe Dinan exhaust...would prefer AWE quad with mid-pipe but after spending extra money on warranty, would rather not have it voided.
Maybe Dinan Stage 1 tune...yet again I dont want to void my CPO warranty so I would need to talk to my dealer and see how they would react.

Overall, very happy with the car. Will be happier when I move and get her into a garage with a driveway so I can wash her each weekend. Power wise...shes peppy. Low end reminds me of my Stage 2+ GTI power. Top end really dies and doesnt feel fast at all 80mph+. I assume a tune would do alot to help buttttttttt....... Oh ya, its a N26 so not alot of stage 2/3 options unfortunately.

Long read, thanks, lets be friends

When I bought her

With new grill

And my old GTI

Appreciate 5
ErkanTR16596.50
zamboni1123.00
Buzzo168.50
Styx58.00
      09-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Welcome to the madness! I've owned several MKV's and tons of IV's and B's, a touareg, lots of tdi's and a few audi's

You'll see it's slower here, but the quality is better than vwvortex. Looks like you got a CPO from the pic, and that's an excellent call on used.

The doors are quality, but I agree that the buffer on the vw's was a little more so it sounded quieter, not an issue here.

I've got the 8 speed also, and I haven't looked back. Drop it into sport for some sporty driving and getting off throttle, it'll hang on the rpm's. Tranny shifts fast regardless, it's better IMHO than vw's DSG implementation (no death dsg rattle starting from a stop, etc).

I haven't gone quite down the VCDS replacement full scale, ordered that F30 cable, but waiting on a usb to RJ45 adapter to come in so I can use my slate tablet with the cable.

Nice car, love mine and it's more of a base model and everything is great. I added the dinan sport tuner and can really feel a nice difference already.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Welcome to the madness! I've owned several MKV's and tons of IV's and B's, a touareg, lots of tdi's and a few audi's

You'll see it's slower here, but the quality is better than vwvortex. Looks like you got a CPO from the pic, and that's an excellent call on used.

The doors are quality, but I agree that the buffer on the vw's was a little more so it sounded quieter, not an issue here.

I've got the 8 speed also, and I haven't looked back. Drop it into sport for some sporty driving and getting off throttle, it'll hang on the rpm's. Tranny shifts fast regardless, it's better IMHO than vw's DSG implementation (no death dsg rattle starting from a stop, etc).

I haven't gone quite down the VCDS replacement full scale, ordered that F30 cable, but waiting on a usb to RJ45 adapter to come in so I can use my slate tablet with the cable.

Nice car, love mine and it's more of a base model and everything is great. I added the dinan sport tuner and can really feel a nice difference already.
Awesome! Any concern with the sport tuner and your warranty or are you out of warranty? From what I read Dinan will cover the stock warranty but any CPO or beyond is not covered.

Yep, CPO. About 34K miles on her, one-car owner. I was worried at first jumping into a BMW but as its covered for the next 4 years or 60K+...its like im buying a new car.

Im starting to figure out sport mode, guess I need more sprinted driving, have not really had the chance to take her on back roads yet.

Do you have a tint? Trying to figure out if I want to go with Suntek or LLumar ATC or CTX tints.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Awesome! Any concern with the sport tuner and your warranty or are you out of warranty? From what I read Dinan will cover the stock warranty but any CPO or beyond is not covered.

Yep, CPO. About 34K miles on her, one-car owner. I was worried at first jumping into a BMW but as its covered for the next 4 years or 60K+...its like im buying a new car.

Im starting to figure out sport mode, guess I need more sprinted driving, have not really had the chance to take her on back roads yet.

Do you have a tint? Trying to figure out if I want to go with Suntek or LLumar ATC or CTX tints.
Check the CPO terms, it's not a B2B, IE clutches in the 8AT aren't covered or most wear and tear item. I googled it before committing and it seemed reasonable. I'm up to 37k now. IE, don't do burnouts and expect them to replace clutches, lol.

Took me a while to get "into" the modes and how they fully operate, especially in corners at near limits (on a road course of course!), but they are intuitive... well sport is once you get into it and get used to the new throttle position and steering response

My CPO came with tint, don't know the %, but it's in the medium range and it's metallic, as I can see the deviations my polarized glasses. Previous owner obviously treated this one well as there weren't major tire sidewall wear, interior wear, or other red flags under the car.

Just be careful, and you know this... Going FWD to RWD can get you into "rabid mustang territory" fast, even with stock power.

The sport tuner doesn't have the regular Dinan warranty, again I'm CPO but I'd remove it, I have it on the lowest setting and it's a hoot.

Enjoy and drive safe! Best thing is the feeling of driving and the torque compared to the other cars, this is one of the funnest platforms I've ever driven. Could use some springs and bilsteins, but stock is still awesome, especially for the kids, etc!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Congrats! M SPORT always looks great!

MK7 GTI would have been a nice choice as well. Those things are insanely quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful F30!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

Just spying on our cousins across the water and saw this thread. It could well be that sports automatic is code-able? See this thread here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304601

May need to buy the hardware (i.e. flappy paddles) but once fitted and coded you could have a bona fide sports auto transmission?

Anyway, I'm also making the switch from VW to BMW (albeit via a horrid Ford Galaxy since July). Despite avatar, most recently an R Line Passat Estate (sorry, "wagon"!). Collecting on Saturday, woohoo!
      09-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #8
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Can't go wrong with Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Great looking car! nice find for a 328 with xenons and msport with coral. The lock beep can be coded if you have the factory alarm. My key is always in my pocket so i really dont care about key quality and more about its durability.

For the mperformance parts, its hit or miss on ebay but ive had great luck with emotors2000 for the mperformance spoiler, advan for the rear diffuser and selma for the front lip.

in regards to the exhaust and warranty issue: http://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx
      09-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys for the feedback and posts! Going to take my time in modding and likely just do non-motor stuff at first to get comfortable.

I was big into coding and running logs with my VW. Had a VAG-COM and got real nerdy with it. Guessing there is something similar with BMW so i'll dig around on the forums and do more research.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Welcome to the forum! Definitely code in the sport automatic (2TB) to your car. I did and it definitely feels a lot closer to a DSG in terms of shift speed - you even get a tiny kick every time it up-shifts in Sport or Sport+ mode. In terms of coding, forum coding guru shawnsheridan is your go-to guy for all your coding needs; he'll set you up with the software and once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake!

For your reference, here's a link to the general coding post (it's long but has a ton of useful information): http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777

And here's a link on how to code in 2TB in your car: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1138452

If you want paddle shifters, depending on if your is pre-wired for it or not, you could either drill into your current steering wheel or buy a steering wheel that comes with paddles. If your car isn't pre-wired for paddles, you would need to run a wire the A83*2B (SZL) connector to A173*7B (FEM) connector.

Here are links for the steering wheel retrofit (I just completed it about a week ago): http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1103881&page=3

And for the paddles retrofit: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1146286

Good luck and happy coding/modding!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
Just spying on our cousins across the water and saw this thread. It could well be that sports automatic is code-able? See this thread here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304601

May need to buy the hardware (i.e. flappy paddles) but once fitted and coded you could have a bona fide sports auto transmission?

Anyway, I'm also making the switch from VW to BMW (albeit via a horrid Ford Galaxy since July). Despite avatar, most recently an R Line Passat Estate (sorry, "wagon"!). Collecting on Saturday, woohoo!
Wow thanks for the link!!! I have seen where people have successfully added the paddles to a m-sport wheel but didnt know people have coded the tranny to turn into a sport tranny! I asked a few questions on that thread so hoping for good news as this would be a sure mod I would want to do.
Appreciate 1
GaryUFM189.00
      09-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy View Post
Welcome to the forum! Definitely code in the sport automatic (2TB) to your car. I did and it definitely feels a lot closer to a DSG in terms of shift speed - you even get a tiny kick every time it up-shifts in Sport or Sport+ mode. In terms of coding, forum coding guru shawnsheridan is your go-to guy for all your coding needs; he'll set you up with the software and once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake!

For your reference, here's a link to the general coding post (it's long but has a ton of useful information): http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=696777

And here's a link on how to code in 2TB in your car: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1138452

If you want paddle shifters, depending on if your is pre-wired for it or not, you could either drill into your current steering wheel or buy a steering wheel that comes with paddles. If your car isn't pre-wired for paddles, you would need to run a wire the A83*2B (SZL) connector to A173*7B (FEM) connector.

Here are links for the steering wheel retrofit (I just completed it about a week ago): http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1103881&page=3

And for the paddles retrofit: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1146286

Good luck and happy coding/modding!
Awesome, again great info. You guys rock!

Any easy way to find out if my car is already pre-wired for paddles or not?

Also, when you coded your transmission for sport mode, did it do any of the below?

* Faster/harder shifts (you confirmed it does indeed )
* Kickdown disabled in Sport+ mode??
* Automatic upshifts disabled in Sport+ mode??
* Launch control??
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
The easiest way to check is to check if you have that wire in FEM and SZL - there's a guide on how to get to the FEM_BODY panel under the front passenger kick panel and just check the connector if it has a wire in that specific pin I mentioned.

To my knowledge, I believe all of those points you mentioned are enabled when removing 205 and adding 2TB to the FA and VO coding FEM_BODY, EGS, ICM, and KOMBI - I haven't actually tried redlining to 7,000rpm and holding it there yet, but from what I've read around the forum, it seems to hold gears, but only in Sport+ mode.

Launch control is also enabled but I was a bit confused at first when trying it out. You must be in Sport+ mode with the shifter to the left, and the transmission must already be warmed up and the engine at operating temperature. Then step on the brake (read: mash the brake to the floor) and step on the throttle pass the resistance point (you'll feel a kind of click and then the pedal hits the end of its travel). On the instrument cluster you should then see "Launch Control Active"!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy View Post
The easiest way to check is to check if you have that wire in FEM and SZL - there's a guide on how to get to the FEM_BODY panel under the front passenger kick panel and just check the connector if it has a wire in that specific pin I mentioned.

To my knowledge, I believe all of those points you mentioned are enabled when removing 205 and adding 2TB to the FA and VO coding FEM_BODY, EGS, ICM, and KOMBI - I haven't actually tried redlining to 7,000rpm and holding it there yet, but from what I've read around the forum, it seems to hold gears, but only in Sport+ mode.

Launch control is also enabled but I was a bit confused at first when trying it out. You must be in Sport+ mode with the shifter to the left, and the transmission must already be warmed up and the engine at operating temperature. Then step on the brake (read: mash the brake to the floor) and step on the throttle pass the resistance point (you'll feel a kind of click and then the pedal hits the end of its travel). On the instrument cluster you should then see "Launch Control Active"!
Nice! Thanks man.

All things I need to tackle once I get out of Cali and move back into a house with a garage. Well...first thing im doing then is getting all my car care supplies back so she isnt so dirty all the time!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Nice! Dinan is a great safe way to tune.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
madmortar
Captain
Rep

So been going back and forth on aftermarket parts for the BMW and I think I am going to just keep the car stock engine wise.. Its a really tough decision to make as I am an enthusiast at heart and love to see what kinda of power aftermarket parts can bring out of a great car to begin with. But at the end of the day, two factors that lead me to this choice.

1) I have a N26. As much as I would like to see what I could sqeeze out of this motor, I really would want to go with a company such a DINAN that is proven. Unfortunately, with the N26 cats, I really can only go DINAN Stage 1. On top of that, the HP isnt as high as DINAN Stage 1 N20. So alot of money for not alot of power or headroom.

2) I spent extra money for a CPO, and also shelled out $2150 for an extended year of warranty. So basically, im covered until July 2020 or 100K. Having already put out alot of money to make sure my car is under warranty if anything goes wrong with the drivetrain, I dont want to end up in a situation where I have to fight with BMW NA etc etc because they want to deny a claim. After seeing some issues with timing chains going bad with the N20 and $15K bills to replace a motor, I think ill sleep good at night with a warranty if anything goes wrong.

As of right now, im pretty happy with the power. Its more about how damn sexy this car looks haha. As such, I still plan on getting a couple other M exterior parts.

Now having said that, I would likely get some sort of aftermarket filter (not full intake system) such as K&N to replace the paper drop in. Basically to give me slightly more sound without the fear of warranty issues. Also, really would like an axle back to bring out the sound of the motor as well. DINAN will likely be what I go with to keep my dealer happy. Yet, I will wait until I move to GA and get to know the new dealership before I do anything. Maybe....just maybe they wont care if I add a DINAN sport tune for some cheap quick power .

Think ill ride the 328i out for the next 4 years and then upgrade to a 340i or, if I can pull off two doors with the family, a M240i.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Do you guys wax the shadow line trim? Or just wash?

Also, should I just go by the normal maintenance schedule for oil changes or do them more often?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
madmortar
Captain
Rep

As update, finally moved to Savannah. My car needs a paint correction very badly. I dont know if any shops around me will do it up to my standards so might invest soon in some equipment to do it myself.

I really am back and forth about this car. I love the looks, the handling, the ride, and I fit really well inside the car (super comfy for my 6'3' body). But I am just not at all in love with the auto....maybe if I had paddle shifters and the sport transmission I would like it more? I need to go test drive one to see if it changes my opinion. I also feel like it needs alot more power.... but not in a hurry to void my warranty with a tune. Ultimately, I wish it was a 340i with 6-speed stick. But I got what I paid for!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #20
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

A little more power is good, but I have a dinan sport and I play a game in the corners on the commute. Can you guess what it is?

It's two clips and gone.

You probably want to buy the 40/6speed I was a manual guy for a long time, and I actually LOVE the 8AT. Takes a while to figure out how to make it work properly for the best lines, etc... especially with a little more grunt on the N20... All on sport or normal mode is what I'm talking about.

Good luck with the test drive and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
A little more power is good, but I have a dinan sport and I play a game in the corners on the commute. Can you guess what it is?

It's two clips and gone.

You probably want to buy the 40/6speed I was a manual guy for a long time, and I actually LOVE the 8AT. Takes a while to figure out how to make it work properly for the best lines, etc... especially with a little more grunt on the N20... All on sport or normal mode is what I'm talking about.

Good luck with the test drive and let us know how it goes!
So you have N20?
Sport auto or normal?

Did the tune help alot?

Thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Off topic but did you consider the Mk7 GTI with the powerpack?

The LSD really negates a lot of the FWD problems and is more fun than RWD with an open diff IMO
Appreciate 0