F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 24 hr test drive of X3 30d M Sport
GetBMWParts

06-21-2018, 03:12 AM   #23
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I had one for 2 weeks. Nice enough. I think it's the "new" that makes it pleasant. I'm still not a massive fan of the X3 though. Yes it looks way better than the older ones, goes well (despite the, what feels like, slight turbo lag from standstill). For quite a large car, proportionally, its still pretty small inside IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #24
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

All very good points and duly noted. I do value other people’s opinions, and lots of guys on here seem to have well reasoned views.

I do like driving - love it in the right car, but if I’m being realistic the 335 F31 has never been a proper drivers machine. It was a compromise when I bought it and it’s done quite well. These days, every time I go out it’s straight into traffic, there are very few roads to enjoy properly, so the performance car ends up becoming more show than go, purely because of the environment. This is another reason for me liking the idea of the SUV, it just makes being stuck in traffic slightly less unpleasant, if you know what I mean!? Probably something to do with visibility.

I drove to the Limoges area of France a couple of weeks ago and if you avoid motorways and peage the roads are extremely quite and go on for miles.... I can’t buy a car just for that alone! It’s a balance. If money was no object I’d have a selection of cars.

Right now, I’m considering carefully and trying to imagine owning and driving something that is easy to live with long-term. If I’m being honest, I’ve never really been overly impressed with my 335d. It’s quick off the line, but makes a racket when it’s doing it and above a certain speed the corners become unpleasant - I think the xdrive has dulled the handling over the 2wd versions.

Anyway, the salesman who arranged the test drive wasn’t in yesterday when I took the car back and he has promised to call me today, so I need to be ready with the correct responses!

I’m considering the X4 M40d, as I like the styling but why is it a few thousand more than the X3, is it purely down to less units being made?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
All very good points and duly noted. I do value other people's opinions, and lots of guys on here seem to have well reasoned views.

I do like driving - love it in the right car, but if I'm being realistic the 335 F31 has never been a proper drivers machine. It was a compromise when I bought it and it's done quite well. These days, every time I go out it's straight into traffic, there are very few roads to enjoy properly, so the performance car ends up becoming more show than go, purely because of the environment. This is another reason for me liking the idea of the SUV, it just makes being stuck in traffic slightly less unpleasant, if you know what I mean!? Probably something to do with visibility.

I drove to the Limoges area of France a couple of weeks ago and if you avoid motorways and peage the roads are extremely quite and go on for miles.... I can't buy a car just for that alone! It's a balance. If money was no object I'd have a selection of cars.

Right now, I'm considering carefully and trying to imagine owning and driving something that is easy to live with long-term. If I'm being honest, I've never really been overly impressed with my 335d. It's quick off the line, but makes a racket when it's doing it and above a certain speed the corners become unpleasant - I think the xdrive has dulled the handling over the 2wd versions.

Anyway, the salesman who arranged the test drive wasn't in yesterday when I took the car back and he has promised to call me today, so I need to be ready with the correct responses!

I'm considering the X4 M40d, as I like the styling but why is it a few thousand more than the X3, is it purely down to less units being made?
It's the even number tax! People will pay more for the coupe versions so they charge more for them, simple as that.
Appreciate 2
Lux700551.00
      06-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #26
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

The B57 is a great engine and very well suited to the X3. I'm not sure the extra outlay for the M40d would be worth it. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Run the numbers but if I was going for a diesel X3 I'd go 30d and go for a few more options. The cabin is a nice place to be, may as well have all the toys.

Essential options for me: Sunroof, HUD, wireless charging, HK, Icon Adaptive Headlights, Digital Cockpit, Parking Assistant Plus (surround cameras)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I do like driving - love it in the right car, but if I’m being realistic the 335 F31 has never been a proper drivers machine. It was a compromise when I bought it and it’s done quite well. These days, every time I go out it’s straight into traffic, there are very few roads to enjoy properly, so the performance car ends up becoming more show than go, purely because of the environment. This is another reason for me liking the idea of the SUV, it just makes being stuck in traffic slightly less unpleasant, if you know what I mean!? Probably something to do with visibility.
I believe if we are really honest, many of us have the same feelings about driving these days. Realistically, evaluating our use, often puts the performance part of a vehicle in second place. It is why I see the uptake of SUV/SAV models. Most SUV users I speak with love them, for a multitude of reasons. Often comment that as we can't drive cars like we used to, road congestion, speed limits, etc., etc., has influenced the change of vehicle type. Priorities change if you can't often exploit a car's performance, what is best for daily use and pottering about, can swing to the SUV type vehicle.

When I'm in a flow of traffic, with no hope of faster progress, I know I love the comfort of wafting along in my 5-series. My mind is not on its performance, how it corners, its acceleration to 60, or any of those things. More the ability to relax in comfort, quiet refinement and a compliant ride.

I sense many more keen drivers also see it more that way these days. Even the higher driving position is attractive, more for command of the road that concerns of a low CoG.
Appreciate 2
Lux700551.00
      06-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #28
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I believe if we are really honest, many of us have the same feelings about driving these days. Realistically, evaluating our use, often puts the performance part of a vehicle in second place. It is why I see the uptake of SUV/SAV models. Most SUV users I speak with love them, for a multitude of reasons. Often comment that as we can't drive cars like we used to, road congestion, speed limits, etc., etc., has influenced the change of vehicle type. Priorities change if you can't often exploit a car's performance, what is best for daily use and pottering about, can swing to the SUV type vehicle.

When I'm in a flow of traffic, with no hope of faster progress, I know I love the comfort of wafting along in my 5-series. My mind is not on its performance, how it corners, its acceleration to 60, or any of those things. More the ability to relax in comfort, quiet refinement and a compliant ride.

I sense many more keen drivers also see it more that way these days. Even the higher driving position is attractive, more for command of the road that concerns of a low CoG.
You are absolutely right and have summed it up brilliantly.

Changing times are also why I’ve switched from riding nothing but radical sports bikes for over 30yrs and going directly to a GS Adventure. Nothing to with age as I’d still like a sports bike, but nowhere to ride it properly! I’ve done the track thing; racing, track day instruction but still like motorcycles so hence the GSA. At least I get to see things better due to being higher up and not travelling quite as fast.

I’ve just learnt that the leather options on the X3 30d M Sport are no longer on the configurator because they are now being made in South Africa! All you get now is the choice of the standard leathers!!! A bit odd on such an expensive car. Nothing is ever simple these days...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #29
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
As I type, it’s on my driveway, but have to return it tomorrow. I have to say, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It’s very civilised and refined, is packed with tech and, for an SUV, it looks good. It’s a black sapphire with the red and black Merino leather. I wasn’t a fan when I first opened the door to be in when collecting the car, but having now driven it around for over half a day, I think it makes the interior of the car look a bit special and not so mainstream. Each to their own, but I now like it.

Engine develops 620NM of torque despite its 265bhp, so that torque enables it to waft along effortlessly. It’s torque is only very slightly lower than my 335d (630NM) even though the bhp is over 40 less! 0-62kmh is 5.8, which is a second slower than I’m used to but this X3 does it in extremely refined fashion.

I’m going to be very reluctant to return it tomorrow and also need to be reserved and have my poker face on so the salesman won’t see me as any easy catch. I’ll probably negotiate some thinking time and have a think about it. My main reservation is should I wait for the M40d next month?
Any photos?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #30
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
All very good points and duly noted. I do value other people's opinions, and lots of guys on here seem to have well reasoned views.

I do like driving - love it in the right car, but if I'm being realistic the 335 F31 has never been a proper drivers machine. It was a compromise when I bought it and it's done quite well. These days, every time I go out it's straight into traffic, there are very few roads to enjoy properly, so the performance car ends up becoming more show than go, purely because of the environment. This is another reason for me liking the idea of the SUV, it just makes being stuck in traffic slightly less unpleasant, if you know what I mean!? Probably something to do with visibility.

I drove to the Limoges area of France a couple of weeks ago and if you avoid motorways and peage the roads are extremely quite and go on for miles.... I can't buy a car just for that alone! It's a balance. If money was no object I'd have a selection of cars.

Right now, I'm considering carefully and trying to imagine owning and driving something that is easy to live with long-term. If I'm being honest, I've never really been overly impressed with my 335d. It's quick off the line, but makes a racket when it's doing it and above a certain speed the corners become unpleasant - I think the xdrive has dulled the handling over the 2wd versions.

Anyway, the salesman who arranged the test drive wasn't in yesterday when I took the car back and he has promised to call me today, so I need to be ready with the correct responses!

I'm considering the X4 M40d, as I like the styling but why is it a few thousand more than the X3, is it purely down to less units being made?
All very reasonable comments, except one...
X4
ETO
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #31
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
You are absolutely right and have summed it up brilliantly.

Changing times are also why I’ve switched from riding nothing but radical sports bikes for over 30yrs and going directly to a GS Adventure. Nothing to with age as I’d still like a sports bike, but nowhere to ride it properly! I’ve done the track thing; racing, track day instruction but still like motorcycles so hence the GSA. At least I get to see things better due to being higher up and not travelling quite as fast.

I’ve just learnt that the leather options on the X3 30d M Sport are no longer on the configurator because they are now being made in South Africa! All you get now is the choice of the standard leathers!!! A bit odd on such an expensive car. Nothing is ever simple these days...
Other manufacturers also make cars that fit the brief that you are now describing - the Q5 3.0d SLine, or the GLC 350d as either square back or coupe.

Or a Macan GTS if space isnt as much a priority.... davyk31 will be along shortly to give you an owners view on that one....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #32
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Any photos?
I’ve faffed around for ages trying to upload a couple of pics and I keep getting a message saying that they’re too big and I’ll have to resize manually. They are only pics I took on my phone, so how can they be too big?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:53 AM   #33
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Upload them using the app, it resizes and sort sizes for you
Appreciate 1
Lux700551.00
      06-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #34
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Upload them using the app, it resizes and sort sizes for you
What a chump... I didn't realise there was an app! Should've realised really as there's an app for everything these days.

Thanks for the nudge SkyJawa
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13343.50
SkyJawa3716.00
      06-23-2018, 06:18 AM   #35
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

If BMW have made such vast improvements in the new X3 over the 6yr old F3x, it stands to reason the new 3er should be pretty impressive, more so than the new X3 in these high power sporty versions.

There is no getting past the weight and CofG issues of an SUV vs a sporty car though.

Maybe wait till the new 3er arrives too?

And if you’re hiring one, isn’t it better to go top model to get options as standard, then option up a lower spec one?

Better to get the 40d shirley?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #36
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

M40d ordered and deposit paid. I’ve got about 7 days to make my final decision on colour, leather and interior trim...?
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      06-24-2018, 01:19 AM   #37
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
M40d ordered and deposit paid. I've got about 7 days to make my final decision on colour, leather and interior trim...?
Personally I don't like the dark colours in this size of car. It really gets a bit much, plus it's a pain in the as to keep a black car clean.
I test drove in the silver, and it looked great. Gets my vote.
Oh and the red and black leather all day. Will look awesome in this combo.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

@teaston I thought my M50D was very very thirsty. I'm being killjoy here I know but I'd seriously think about 3D v 4D the extra top end grunt, not sure how often it would really be needed as the new X3 (IMO is relatively) light.

Mind you wtf am I talking about. Once pcp comes around and discount there's often about £30 a month difference between engines!!
      06-24-2018, 02:50 AM   #39
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
M40d ordered and deposit paid. I’ve got about 7 days to make my final decision on colour, leather and interior trim...?
Well done. You will have one of the first in the UK! Where did you order it from?

In terms of colour. I have phytonic blue. Quite easy to live with and keep looking clean. I do like it in white. Have you had a look at the third generation X3 forum?

In terms of options, don’t know what you have gone for so far. I have no regrets getting adaptive (I feel this is essential), lumbar support, acoustic glass, folding side mirrors and spare tyre as going to ditch run flats, but it does reduce boot space by a small amount. I stayed with the 20 inch wheels. Also got mine debadged.

Did consider pano roof, but decided to stop spending money and not get it. There are a raft of parking and safety aids. But decided I could live without them.

Hope this helps!

Let the wait commence......
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #40
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Almost everything spec'd. Very little difference on the BMW mpg figures between 30d and M40d - about 10%. Looking on the BMW website the 335d F31 mpg figures are right in the middle between an X3 30d and the X40d, so quite acceptable.

Colour is my headache. There are worse problems to have but I don't want to have regrets by picking the wrong colour/trim combo
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2763.00
JustChris17483.00
      06-24-2018, 04:38 AM   #41
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
M40d ordered and deposit paid. I've got about 7 days to make my final decision on colour, leather and interior trim...?
I didn't realise the X3 M40d was available to order yet!?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 04:45 AM   #42
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Nor did the salesman who priced up a 30d M Sport for me. Prior to this I did tell him of my reservations about not waiting for the M40d (due being used to the 335d performance), the next thing and the sales manager, business manager and some other top guy were involved and was then told by the sales manager that I could order the M40d as it was now officially due August. I've been told October collection.
Appreciate 1
strike4A513.00
      06-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #43
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nor did the salesman who priced up a 30d M Sport for me. Prior to this I did tell him of my reservations about not waiting for the M40d (due being used to the 335d performance), the next thing and the sales manager, business manager and some other top guy were involved and was then told by the sales manager that I could order the M40d as it was now officially due August. I've been told October collection.
Lucky bugger!

So what sort of discount and APR did you get?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #44
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Lucky bugger!

So what sort of discount and APR did you get?
There's not much flex at the moment due to it being a brand new model. APR was quoted at 5.9 but the deal was given to me via my trade in - I was given an extra 3k to sweeten the deal.
Appreciate 0