F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > TPMS - looking for advice please after buying new wheels
proTUNING Freaks

10-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #1
Caprian280
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d

TPMS - looking for advice please after buying new wheels

Hi All
Im new to the world of BMWs having had fords for 20 years.
Ive bought a set of aftermarket alloy wheels and awaiting delivery of them, ive found the tyres i want but im really confused on the tpms sensors.

My car is a 2019 F36 - standard wheels with tpms fitted - i previously coded out tpms on my last car (fiesta ST) as it was a pain in the backside - it seemed simple, laptop, obd connector, download software (only one piece of software done the lot) and untick a box basically.

Ideally id do it here too but im lost as to what software and connector actually covers the 2 things im looking to do - disable stop start and tpms.
If i cant disable tpms, then im going to have to bite the bullet and buy sensors for my wheels and live with it. Local garages want at least £15-20 to take old sensors out of each wheel anyways so ive been looking on autodoc etc at new sensors - however there are loads on there for the car.

Ive been looking at the 2 attached and wondering if both would fit or neither - whats the main difference please?
Any info on any part would be great please - whether coding or the sensors as im totally lost.
Cheers in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

You can find genuine Bmw sensors on ebay starting at around £18 each. Just get those and confirm with seller that they are suitable for your model. They are pretty generic. With new sensors it is normally very easy - just fit and reset the tpms system from idrive. Good to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Why would you want to code out a safety feature or early advance of low pressure in a tyre??

I admit that pressures indicated do not always match the pressure shown on the actual tyre pressure gauge but the car will definately let you know if there is a slow puncture or drop in pressure.

I've used Carly to do some coding others have used bimmercode, not sure if either allow you to code TPMS though. Consider setting the start/ stop to 'remember last setting' so then at least you have the option of switching it on / or off at will. Having said that I've never switched mine on in the last 3 years !!

Last edited by Alscoob; 10-28-2022 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Allworth199.50
      10-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Caprian280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
You can find genuine Bmw sensors on ebay starting at around £18 each. Just get those and confirm with seller that they are suitable for your model. They are pretty generic. With new sensors it is normally very easy - just fit and reset the tpms system from idrive. Good to go.
Cheers - i'll get back on ebay and have a look
I had read about the signal being 433mhz etc for mine but didnt understand the part around matching sensors to the car etc - id seen some device for £150 that says it programs them to the car but wondered why anyome would.need it.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
Caprian280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Why would you want to code out a safety feature or early advance of low pressure in a tyre??

I admit that pressures indicated do not always match the pressure shown on the actual tyre pressure gauge but the car will definately let you know if there is a slow puncture or drop in pressure.

I've used Carly to do some coding others have used bimmercode, not sure if either allow you to code TPMS though. Consider setting the start/ stop to 'remember last setting' so then at least you have the option of switching it on / or off at will. Having said that I've never switched mine on in the last 3 years !!
I just find them an annoyance. My father in laws 2 year old peugeot pinged up each time he drove the car a warning about the pressures. He started off checking the tyres each time - all bang on pressure, found out the sensor had "suffered corrosion" according to the tyre fitters, they replaced the sensor, 6 months down the line - it done the same again.
My last car, for some reason every 2 to 3 days it would bleep up a warning, checked all my tyres with works gauge and air line as well as my gauge at home, nothing wrong with the tyres.
Just bad experiences i guess. Managed 20 years being able to detect the 1 slow puncture in a tyre ive had without sensors going off randomly lol.

Thank you regarding the carly/bimmer bit and auto stop start. Ive had the car 5 months and forgot to turn it off twice so id never switch it back on either 👍.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprian280 View Post
I just find them an annoyance. My father in laws 2 year old peugeot pinged up each time he drove the car a warning about the pressures. He started off checking the tyres each time - all bang on pressure, found out the sensor had "suffered corrosion" according to the tyre fitters, they replaced the sensor, 6 months down the line - it done the same again.
My last car, for some reason every 2 to 3 days it would bleep up a warning, checked all my tyres with works gauge and air line as well as my gauge at home, nothing wrong with the tyres.
Just bad experiences i guess. Managed 20 years being able to detect the 1 slow puncture in a tyre ive had without sensors going off randomly lol.

Thank you regarding the carly/bimmer bit and auto stop start. Ive had the car 5 months and forgot to turn it off twice so id never switch it back on either 👍.
I've had my car 3.5yrs zero problems with TPMS just for the record.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #7
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi All
Ive bought a set of aftermarket alloy wheels and awaiting delivery of them, ive found the tyres i want but im really confused on the tpms sensors.

My car is a 2019 F36 - standard wheels with tpms fitted - i previously coded out tpms on my last car (fiesta ST) as it was a pain in the backside - it seemed simple, laptop, obd connector, download software (only one piece of software done the lot) and untick a box basically.

Ideally id do it here too but im lost as to what software and connector actually covers the 2 things im looking to do - disable stop start and tpms.
If i cant disable tpms, then im going to have to bite the bullet and buy sensors for my wheels and live with it. Local garages want at least £15-20 to take old sensors out of each wheel anyways so ive been looking on autodoc etc at new sensors - however there are loads on there for the car.

Ive been looking at the 2 attached and wondering if both would fit or neither - whats the main difference please?
Any info on any part would be great please - whether coding or the sensors as im totally lost.
Cheers in advance.
For your model buy the genuine BMW TPMS - Part No. 36106881890

As mentioned, you can buy on eBay for around £20-25.

Make sure they are genuine with the white backing as shown below. Lots of aftermarket ones around that could need additional coding to work correctly with the vehicle.
Attached Images

10-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
Allworth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
I've started driving today after work, and 5 seconds later warning came on. It turned out my tyre was flat so I've taken next turn to tyre fitters. If not TMPS I wouldn't notice it straight away.
Do NOT code it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All

Cheers in advance.
BMW installs different TPMS transmitters in their cars so there are about four different TPMS part numbers. You have to install the correct matching part number in your wheels for the TPMS system to work.

Genuine BMW TPMS sensors are ridiculously priced. I believe mine are made by VDO, others are made by HUF for BMW. They can be found at a fraction of the price.

Page through this link to find which of the four BMW TPMS part numbers are installed on your car.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/access...ms-sensor.html

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Allworth199.50
      10-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #10
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Similar price as genuine BMW TPMS on eBay.
Attached Images

10-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #11
Caprian280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140_BCS View Post
For your model buy the genuine BMW TPMS - Part No. 36106881890

As mentioned, you can buy on eBay for around £20-25.

Make sure they are genuine with the white backing as shown below. Lots of aftermarket ones around that could need additional coding to work correctly with the vehicle.
Brilliant - thank you i'll make sure i check that on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #12
Caprian280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
BMW installs different TPMS transmitters in their cars so there are about four different TPMS part numbers. You have to install the correct matching part number in your wheels for the TPMS system to work.

Genuine BMW TPMS sensors are ridiculously priced. I believe mine are made by VDO, others are made by HUF for BMW. They can be found at a fraction of the price.

Page through this link to find which of the four BMW TPMS part numbers are installed on your car.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/access...ms-sensor.html

Hope this helps!

Thats great thank you, ive been able to look at the cap design too and reference to make sure. Cheers again
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      10-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #13
Caprian280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.86uk View Post
Similar price as genuine BMW TPMS on eBay.
Cheers - its all pointing towards the one direction with the comments. I got confused with all the options of what supposedly fits on each auotparts website but all the comments have helped.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50