F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 440i Initial Impressions
Studio RSR

03-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #23
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
You seem jaded if you don't think that a cheaper car can do some things better than an entry level BMW.
Not my thought, You should be sending this message to the OP
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #24
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
This is exactly the problem with BMW making a gazillion different models to appeal to a much wider customer base than they traditionally attracted. It sounds like the OP would have been much happier with an Infinity or a Genesis. I am saying this without any ill will or negative judgment. Those cars do gadgets and comfort features much better than the lower end of the BMW lineup. And the 4 series, especially the GC, is nothing but a „bloated" 3 series. Again, no hate against GC owners who love their ride, to each their own. However, being an older German guy I very well remember a time when most smaller BMWs, Mercedes and Audi's came with hand cranked windows and no A/C! You didn't buy these cars for their creature comforts but for the built quality and driving dynamics. I currently own an e46 (WITHOUT cupholders!), a very basic R55 Mini, an e90, an f30, I also used to own an e83 and in my youth we had several e12. I have also owned French, American and Japanese cars, and Mercedes in the past. I can honestly say that I have never missed any gadgets and creature comforts in my BMWs. The only time I get annoyed at them is when the built quality has gone downhill or for their recent lack of spare tires and presence of runflats.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #25
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Your bulletpoints have been commented already and I agree with the responses so far, but I'd like to take just 2 of the points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugargenius View Post
-Where's 12v outlet? Where are the USB outlets? There were tons more connections on a the $25k Altima rental company gave me last week.
Seriosuly? What have you been driving and how many 12V outlets does one need? My 4-series has more 12V outlets than any other passenger car I have driven - one between the the cup-holders, one at the end of the centre console (between the 2 front seats), one underneath the glove compartment and one in the trunk - That's 4! And I have never used either of them yet
How many do you need? )
Then USB - one in the armrest, one under the climate control - that's 2. How many do you need? )

Quote:
-HK "premium" sound system is very underwhelming.
Really? Maybe a personal taste or subjective comparison, but I find it fantastic even with default settings! Very balanced and not lacking power. I have increased the lower frequencies a nudge for more bass just to suite my personal taste, but with or without that - I find it very good.

It seems to me you just need to get used to it a bit to appreciate it. It is not perfect in every way, but it certainly is better than most in that category.
      03-19-2019, 03:32 AM   #26
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Your bulletpoints have been commented already and I agree with the responses so far, but I'd like to take just 2 of the points:

Seriosuly? What have you been driving and how many 12V outlets does one need? My 4-series has more 12V outlets than any other passenger car I have driven - one between the the cup-holders, one at the end of the centre console (between the 2 front seats), one underneath the glove compartment and one in the trunk - That's 4! And I have never used either of them yet
How many do you need? )
Then USB - one in the armrest, one under the climate control - that's 2. How many do you need? )
I hadn't discovered the 12v between the cupholders when I originally posted. I don't have a 12v under my glove box. I do need at least 2. One for dashcam and another for charging phone.

I have 1 usb and it's in the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #27
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
This is exactly the problem with BMW making a gazillion different models to appeal to a much wider customer base than they traditionally attracted. It sounds like the OP would have been much happier with an Infinity or a Genesis. I am saying this without any ill will or negative judgment.
My previous car was an Infiniti G37. I bought it new 9 years ago. It was actually still a great car but I wanted something with latest tech and safety features. Not to mention I wanted something faster and better handling, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:05 AM   #28
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I hadn't discovered the 12v between the cupholders when I originally posted. I don't have a 12v under my glove box. I do need at least 2. One for dashcam and another for charging phone.

I have 1 usb and it's in the armrest.
Look again under the glove box, above the passenger feet. It is literally vertical, you need to put your head down and look up. I discovered it thanks to this forum It is not listed in the User Manual either

You have 3 in the cockpit (including the one between the front seats). And one in the trunk (which is optional, you need to have speced it to have it).
Why do you use 12V to charge phone? An old Nokia? Not USB and not wireless charging?
      03-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
You CAN code these, in most cases, to unlock when you shut the ignition off. Some are even coded this way from the factory, which IIRC is rare.
Some of the locking features must be market specific. Here in the UK we have the options in iDrive, (no need to code), just select how we want the locking to function. I choose to use 'double pull' unlocking while the engine is running and 'auto' unlock when switching off.

One of the other points raised by the OP, is about switching off. My BMW kills everything, simply by pushing the start-stop button a second time. Again gives the option to leave the radio on when I switch off the engine, or switch off everything. Regardless of whether the door is opened, or I have to lock the car to switch the electrical services off.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #30
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Some of the locking features must be market specific. Here in the UK we have the options in iDrive, (no need to code), just select how we want the locking to function. I choose to use 'double pull' unlocking while the engine is running and 'auto' unlock when switching off.

One of the other points raised by the OP, is about switching off. My BMW kills everything, simply by pushing the start-stop button a second time. Again gives the option to leave the radio on when I switch off the engine, or switch off everything. Regardless of whether the door is opened, or I have to lock the car to switch the electrical services off.
Good for you scottland! Not the way it usually works in .com land.

Thanks for sharing your gluttonous features!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #31
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
This is exactly the problem with BMW making a gazillion different models to appeal to a much wider customer base than they traditionally attracted. It sounds like the OP would have been much happier with an Infinity or a Genesis. I am saying this without any ill will or negative judgment.
My previous car was an Infiniti G37. I bought it new 9 years ago. It was actually still a great car but I wanted something with latest tech and safety features. Not to mention I wanted something faster and better handling, too.
My point exactly! I am not surprised that someone coming from an Asian luxury brand (even an older one) is disappointed with the gadgety features of a lower-end BMW. If you want impressive, mind-blowing tech gadgets you need a new 7 series or equivalent. My wife's cousin owns an „older" Infinity G37s Coupé and I have driven it a few times. It has lots more tech stuff than our roughly age-equivalent e90 328i, it is also faster but it feels heavier on its feet. Not a bad car though.
I wonder what attracted the OP to the 440 GC over, let's say, a Kia Stinger or a Genesis G70. I have driven a few loaner 4 series GCs recently and handling and driving experience were not especially exceptional in my mind. Not bad, but not that crisp and nimble either. Definitely not as good and fun as a 2 series, or an older 3 series with sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I can't understand how one can even start comparing to asian cars... The plastic look turns me off enough, even if they have twice as many USB ports ...
Even the so called "luxury" brands like Infinity look rediculuous to me (Have a friend with QX70 Black Carbon Special Edition) - sticking (literally, with glue) a carbon plate with a number on the dash does not make it special at all... just even cheaper looking.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 03-19-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #33
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:

How many do you need? )

Really? Maybe a personal taste or subjective comparison, but I find it fantastic even with default settings! Very balanced and not lacking power. I have increased the lower frequencies a nudge for more bass just to suite my personal taste, but with or without that - I find it very good.

It seems to me you just need to get used to it a bit to appreciate it. It is not perfect in every way, but it certainly is better than most in that category.
+1 for HK !

@sugargenius have you tried accessing equalizers from "TONE" sub-settings ? There are 6-8 lines if I'm not mistaken that could correct the sound output quite a bit !
In the past I had MB with its version of HK and Lexus with Mark Levinson's premium sound - and while it may not be Bowers & Wilkins sound, HK option in BMWs are hands down far more superior to the competitors
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #34
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My point exactly! I am not surprised that someone coming from an Asian luxury brand (even an older one) is disappointed with the gadgety features of a lower-end BMW. If you want impressive, mind-blowing tech gadgets you need a new 7 series or equivalent. My wife's cousin owns an "older" Infinity G37s Coupé and I have driven it a few times. It has lots more tech stuff than our roughly age-equivalent e90 328i, it is also faster but it feels heavier on its feet. Not a bad car though.
I wonder what attracted the OP to the 440 GC over, let's say, a Kia Stinger or a Genesis G70. I have driven a few loaner 4 series GCs recently and handling and driving experience were not especially exceptional in my mind. Not bad, but not that crisp and nimble either. Definitely not as good and fun as a 2 series, or an older 3 series with sport suspension.
I can't speak for the GCs you got for loaners, but in my experience the 435/440i gc with msport suspension handles well, and feels much more nimble than it should, given that it's essentially a midsized sedan. It certainly feels much more athletic than my previous F30 335i did.

You can't expect it to feel like a 2 series, since it's a significantly larger car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #35
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Look again under the glove box, above the passenger feet. It is literally vertical, you need to put your head down and look up. I discovered it thanks to this forum It is not listed in the User Manual either

You have 3 in the cockpit (including the one between the front seats). And one in the trunk (which is optional, you need to have speced it to have it).
Why do you use 12V to charge phone? An old Nokia? Not USB and not wireless charging?
Thanks, I'll look more carefully for the 12v in foot well.

I am using the single USB outlet for a thumb drive with my music.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:11 AM   #36
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

As it turns out, my complaint about the number of 12v adapters turned out to be irrelevant. On my drive back home needed to charge my phone since I was using Google maps the whole way. I plugged in charger to in 12v between cupholder and nothing...no charge. Plugged it into 12v in back of armrest, same thing...no charge. When I got home, i plugged exact same charger and cable into my old '08 Tundra and 'voila, max charge.

And another thing, HVAC sucks. I keep both temps on 70. All week is was 45F outside while I was driving to office in the morning. The whole way it's blowing cold air in my face during a 20 minute drive. Conversely, on my way home yesterday evening, it was pretty warm but the AC hardly put out any air, cold or otherwise. My G37 which was 10 years older and cost half as much worked 100x better. I live in Houston and I could get in my g37 with 105 ambient and 90% RH. Set thermo to 70 and it would be 70 in a couple of minutes. If i put it on 60, it would turn the interior into a meat locker. Reverse was true, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #37
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And another thing, HVAC sucks. I keep both temps on 70. All week is was 45F outside while I was driving to office in the morning. The whole way it's blowing cold air in my face during a 20 minute drive. Conversely, on my way home yesterday evening,

There's a button called A/C, turn it off, adjust to 77 degrees. A/C button is on the bottom right of the controls.

I think that Altima is calling your name right now. Please just buy it and get it done.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      03-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #38
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There's a button called A/C, turn it off, adjust to 77 degrees. A/C button is on the bottom right of the controls.

I think that Altima is calling your name right now. Please just buy it and get it done.
So, the thermostat doesn't work? Setting thermostat to 70 should cause the system to make the ambient temp 70.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #39
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

There's a button labelled "AUTO". It doesn't work. At least not very well.

I don't want an Altima. I just use it as an example of a car that costs half as much (if not less) and does many things much better. BMW should be disgraced by having a generic, $25k econobox beat one of there vehicles at anything
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #40
technologic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

Quote:

I don't want an Altima. I just use it as an example of a car that costs half as much (if not less) and does many things much better. BMW should be disgraced by having a generic, $25k econobox beat one of there vehicles at anything
Troll. New user, and this. Lol. Either a troll or someone who spends big big money with zero research or attention. But I don't think so, troll all the way. A non-troll doesn't spend fifty Gs on a car, doesn't even pick up the manual, then rages about cig plugs and how they can't figure out how to make climate comfortable. A non troll doesn't buy a bimmer for this stuff, like ever. Probably drives a corolla and is super pissed can't afford altima. Or sells Altimas. One of the two. Alitimas are nice by the way! I have had two of them, last forever. Would recommend.
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #41
Zara
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Don't even worry about it
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
      03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #42
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
And another thing, HVAC sucks. I keep both temps on 70. All week is was 45F outside while I was driving to office in the morning. The whole way it's blowing cold air in my face during a 20 minute drive. Conversely, on my way home yesterday evening, it was pretty warm but the AC hardly put out any air, cold or otherwise. My G37 which was 10 years older and cost half as much worked 100x better. I live in Houston and I could get in my g37 with 105 ambient and 90% RH. Set thermo to 70 and it would be 70 in a couple of minutes. If i put it on 60, it would turn the interior into a meat locker. Reverse was true, too.
Check the temperature dial between the vents and below the hazards button, as well as the temperature circulation settings. This all sounds like a case of "user error". My grandpa can relate.
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #43
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

OP, legitimat question: why did you buy the 440 and how much research and comparison to other cars did you do?

At this price point you should generally love your car, if not cut your losses and get something you like better.

With that said and no disrespect to happy 4 series owners, I myself would consider the 4 series the "most meh" of the BMW lineup. It is a huge lost opportunity for BMW to have created a more affordable version of a grand cruiser like the 6 or 8 series. Instead it is just a bloated 3 series with lacking headroom in the rear and more mediocre interior plastics to stretch the 3 series interior to fill the slightly larger cabin. I am basing this opinion on the loaners I had from the dealer and my own preferences for smaller vehicles. There may be people out there who love their 4s and I am truly happy for them as it is one of my goals in life to love the cars I am driving and to drive cars that I love.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #44
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Check the temperature dial between the vents and below the hazards button, as well as the temperature circulation settings. This all sounds like a case of "user error". My grandpa can relate.
^This. He has that dial cranked to cold. LOL.

There's actually a paper and electronic owners manual. I suggest the OP read it because most everything he's complaining about is user error on this part.

As for the power, put the car in Sport+ and note the difference. Sounds like his Sport mode is only set in "Chassis" and not "Drivetrain" or "Drivetrain/Chassis" thus he's still getting the Comfort throttle.

Lastly, it takes a solid 3,000+ miles of break-in before these motors really wake up. A stock 340 GC will absolutely run away from a V6 Altima. LOL. You're talking about a high 12-second car vs a mid-14 second car. Massive difference. Massive.