F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > SI B12 03 18 "440xi software update" Thread split "B"
proTUNING Freaks

03-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

SI B12 03 18 "440xi software update" Thread split "B"

SI B12 03 18 PDF:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...6&d=1548018222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus123 View Post
I can cofirm that after the update i can’t rev my car in P/N above 4000rpm and it seems to me that when i put my car in Sport or Sport+ my exhaust is not that aggresive anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewng19 View Post
My friend who works at a dealership sent me the actually pdf for the DME recall going on, not sure if this would help.
"This Service Action involves approximately 30,162 vehicles produced from 7/26/2016 to 11/29/2018."
"In the DME control unit software, a function to protect components was incorrectly implemented. This
function should protect internal engine components, in case the engine is run at high speed for too long when
stationary."
I attached the pdf below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Does your vehicle have MPSSK? Some forum members reported a change in exhaust sound after a programming update.

BMW directed programming updates are just a fact of life as cars become computers on four wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Regarding MPPSK - it is true that newer MPPSK softwares "surpress" most of the sound-effects. Mine included (installed 08.2018).
The call-back update however doesn't seem to affect anything in that respect. At least based on user experience so far, but insight is still limited.
Some users report higher short-term cold-start RPMs (previously 1500, now 1800 rpms). Others say there is no appreciable change to anything.
Quote:
This is quite interesting indeed, but the way I read it, it addresses a malfunction of the exhaust flaps in case there is no difference in sound between Comfort and Sport/Sport+

I do however notice difference (not extreme, but some) and I am quite sure they open. I believe however I have been a "victim" of a newer SW version which has reduced the sound effects produced by the engine itself. Others report the same, what I don't get is why some do, some don't, irrespective of date of installation.

I will double-check flap operation though. Thanks for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
got the update on 340i, what I notice is now flap does not open after any startup and waited more than 2 mins which previously my car does
Quote:
I am not sure what you guys are talking about!
The flap(s) in Comfort are only opened beyond 4000rpm! Never under.
In Sport/Sport+ they are open permanently.
Quote:
we are talking post startup. Before the update whenever I did a cold start, the car will rev to ~1800 rpms, then drop down to around 650 and the exaust flap will open.

Since the update, the flap will not open anymore post startup
Quote:
It is not supposed to open under 4000rpm in Comfort! Irrespective of startup.
Why should it?

Mine never did (and I still don't have the update).
Quote:
well I used to own a 328i and it always open the second flap after some time in startup. the 340i before the update also does that
Quote:
I know nothing about the 328, but the 340i (stock) has one flap only and it is not supposed to open at all in Comfort, unless 4000 rpm are reached, to reduce back-pressure. What's the point then of Sport if Comfort does the same to the exhaust.
Quote:
its open when startup and when you put the gear selector to Drive, the flap will close again
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromfla View Post
Getting my update next Monday when I take the car in for the 1st service. Man, I hope it doesn't change the sound, or the way the flaps operate now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazil View Post
I just had my MPPSK fitted on a 2016 340i last week.
Its loud. Mad. Insane.
Still get gunshots on demand between 3-4k revs

Valves don't open in comfort unless above 4k as expected.
Valves open and stay open in sport after a min or 2, but require a touch of the accelerator to open as expected.

Did I mention its loud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromfla View Post
Got my update today, and NO change in sound or exhaust valve function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Can someone summarize how these cars should behave before and after this update? How can you tell if the exhaust valve is open or closed, just the pop of the exhaust note? Whats the magic of the 4000 rpm and the valve in eco, comfort, and sport modes? Does the MPPK affect the valve behavior? Thanks
Quote:
The only thing the update is supposed to change (according to official spec) is that it no longer allows you to rev the engine up beyond 4000 rpm when stationary. That's it. Now there are speculations that it also secretly affects the valve control logic or engine mixture, but these are unsubstantiated and only claimed by single users (low percentage of those who got the update). I for one have not received the update yet so no first-hand experience.

Update aside, the valve control logic is:
Comfort - valve(s) closed under 4000 rpm, open above.
Sport/Sport+ - valve(s) open at all times.

That's it. Valid for stock and MPPSK.

Most reliable way to tell whether the valves are open or closed is the visual check
In the MPPSK case there is very little doubt though, based on acoustic feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
What do you mean engine mixture? My car seems less responsive and quieter in all modes including sport, it also could be placebo affect, but I dont think so
THE ORIGINAL THREAD LIES HERE (It's a shi!t show of confused commentation on 2 different SIB's, enter at your own risk): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574409

Last edited by BackBlue; 03-22-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Just got mine done yesterday. After reading about what it's supposed to do I didnt want to do it but it was mandatory. It's still adapting for now but I ran about 100 clicks since. Coming off the dealer; it was dead silent. And even in sports mode, it felt like Eco-Pro pre-update. Sluggish, sloppy, I was mad at first.

Now I still get the occasionnal gurgle but the pops and bangs are definitely gone. I feel like its a downgrade so far. Not impressed.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Just got mine done yesterday. After reading about what it's supposed to do I didnt want to do it but it was mandatory. It's still adapting for now but I ran about 100 clicks since. Coming off the dealer; it was dead silent. And even in sports mode, it felt like Eco-Pro pre-update. Sluggish, sloppy, I was mad at first.

Now I still get the occasionnal gurgle but the pops and bangs are definitely gone. I feel like its a downgrade so far. Not impressed.
I'm assuming you're MPPSK. This "update" definitely seems to be affecting the M-perf cars more than others.
Based on the wording in the SIB, I'm wondering if the pop's and such will mainly only be had while in sport+ mode, post update. Just figuring most guys aren't often driving around sport+, whereas many of us default to sport and these sounds where definitely there pre-update.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF33 View Post
I'm assuming you're MPPSK. This "update" definitely seems to be affecting the M-perf cars more than others.
Based on the wording in the SIB, I'm wondering if the pop's and such will mainly only be had while in sport+ mode, post update. Just figuring most guys aren't often driving around sport+, whereas many of us default to sport and these sounds where definitely there pre-update.
Yep, I got MPPSK. I thought it was because the JB4 was on map 0 so I stopped, replugged the jb4 and changed map to #2 and it was still sllllooow. Didnt experience much with sport+ since i'm still on winter tires.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0