F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > GTS Tail lights questions
ARMA SPEED

08-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
GTS Tail lights questions

Hi All!
So im thinking of the getting the V2 GTS tail lights and im not sure where I should get them from, From what I read they are all roughly from the same manufacturer but some are separate platforms. If anyone knows or has done this upgrade let me know how it went and where you got them from. Currently, I'm looking at the V2's from bayoptiks. https://bayoptiks.com/collections/ta...33400987746390

Let me know in the comments your suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #2
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

I think you msg'd me lol but if it gives you peace of mind to buy from a company like bayoptiks or kies and are ok with spending near 1.5x or twice the price, then I'd say it's worth the price. Peace of mind can be a big thing to some ppl.
      08-25-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

As said above your looking to pay nearly double buying from them, and you'd get the exact same product you'd buy from China no different, so me personally and what I done is bought from Ali express, usually takes around 2 weeks to come and half the price
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

I bought mine from VLAND on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RHVDMRM...Q3QJ0ZMT?psc=1

The fit was near perfect with slight adjustments and you honestly can't tell they're aftermarket. They look to be the same exact thing that kies/bay/etc just repackage. Plus you get the protection of Amazon if they just don't work out for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
I think you msg'd me lol but if it gives you peace of mind to buy from a company like bayoptiks or kies and are ok with spending near 1.5x or twice the price, then I'd say it's worth the price. Peace of mind can be a big thing to some ppl.
ye im looking at some of the cheaper options and I cant lie I really can't tell the difference
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leew102 View Post
I bought mine from VLAND on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RHVDMRM...Q3QJ0ZMT?psc=1

The fit was near perfect with slight adjustments and you honestly can't tell they're aftermarket. They look to be the same exact thing that kies/bay/etc just repackage. Plus you get the protection of Amazon if they just don't work out for you.
totally right about that one, might just go on the limb and get the VLAND ones if what you are saying is true and if anything amazon always has my back
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
MagnusAG99
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e

Theyre all from Vland regardless where you buy them (or atleast i think Vland is the people that developed the lights. Regardless where they come from, they come from the exact same place no matter who you buy them from.), KIES, Bayoptics ETC just charges a premium for "inspecting" the lights and make sure theyre not damaged before you buy them. Theres even a re-seller here in Norway that charges a 2x price premium...

I bought my V1`s here (bought V1`s because i liked its start up sequence more than V2`s. And since i knew they had a rear fog light which is mandatory in Norway, i didnt know the V2`s also had rear fog lights when i purchased the V1`s because Vland and all the re-sellers are utterly terrible at describing their products.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFBRVP...t_details&th=1

Had them for 2-3 weeks now and im happy with them, no gaps at all, installs just like factory lights and looks "factory" when it comes to the fit and finish. Only complaint i got is the blinkers, theyre extremely dim and unnoticeable in direct sunlight on both V1 and V2. Not sure how Vland managed to get the lights SAE/DOT/ECE certified with blinkers that dim (in anything but direct sunlight theyre perfectly visible tho).
Attached Images

Last edited by MagnusAG99; 08-26-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusAG99 View Post
Theyre all from Vland regardless where you buy them (or atleast i think Vland is the people that developed the lights. Regardless where they come from, they come from the exact same place no matter who you buy them from.), KIES, Bayoptics ETC just charges a premium for "inspecting" the lights and make sure theyre not damaged before you buy them. Theres even a re-seller here in Norway that charges a 2x price premium...

I bought my V1`s here (bought V1`s because i liked its start up sequence more than V2`s. And since i knew they had a rear fog light which is mandatory in Norway, i didnt know the V2`s also had rear fog lights when i purchased the V1`s because Vland and all the re-sellers are utterly terrible at describing their products.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFBRVP...tails&th=1

Had them for 2-3 weeks now and im happy with them, no gaps at all, installs just like factory lights and looks "factory" when it comes to the fit and finish. Only complaint i got is the blinkers, theyre extremely dim and unnoticeable in direct sunlight on both V1 and V2. Not sure how Vland managed to get the lights SAE/DOT/ECE certified with blinkers that dim (in anything but direct sunlight theyre perfectly visible tho).
Appreciate all the info did end up just getting it from vland on Amazon, I'll let you guys know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #9
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drapzzy View Post
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFBRVP...tails&th=1

Appreciate all the info did end up just getting it from vland on Amazon, I'll let you guys know how it goes
We bmw drivers don't use blinkers anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #10
SimSimmaF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i Msport

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RNFBRVP...t_details&th=1

Hey boss! Did you get the smoked one or the red?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #11
MagnusAG99
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimmaF30 View Post
Hey boss! Did you get the smoked one or the red?
Mine are the red ones , the smoked ones are pretty much all black.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 05:04 AM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Not sure how Vland managed to get the lights SAE/DOT/ECE certified with blinkers that dim (in anything but direct sunlight theyre perfectly visible tho).
These are aftermarket lights that originated in unregulated Asian regions, sold online without any sort of oversight; why do you assume they are compliant or endorsed by any official government body?

I know for a fact that they do not meet US DOT photometric size requirements and the turn signals are going to remain dim because the proper defusing outer (red) plastic and LEDs are not properly used, which in my opinion, is a notable safety hazard but to each is own..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #13
MagnusAG99
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
These are aftermarket lights that originated in unregulated Asian regions, sold online without any sort of oversight; why do you assume they are compliant or endorsed by any official government body?

I know for a fact that they do not meet US DOT photometric size requirements and the turn signals are going to remain dim because the proper defusing outer (red) plastic and LEDs are not properly used, which in my opinion, is a notable safety hazard but to each is own..
These are made by Vland, not some random Asian company. Vland makes tons of taillights for MANY vehicle models, and theyre all certified. There are obvious fake GTS style tail lights online that looks horrible, but these Version1`s and Version2`s are not one of them. Version2`s have since been revised with brighter turn signals because of complaints, which is why they now got 7 LEDs clearly visible in the outer light. Tail and headlights cant get ECE certified in a European country if the company behind the taillights have not had the lights DOT certified first. Dont ask me why, thats what the different car shops where i was an apprentice at when getting my certificate of apprenticeship in Norway have told me. Europe got extremely strict regulations about whats legal and not, if your car got non-certified lights on a periodic vehicle control that takes place every other year, it gets ruled as non road worthy and the license plate gets removed if you ignore it and decide to drive around anyways. Id like to know how my old prius with Vland taillights, my old GT86 with Vland taillights and my current 330e with Vland taillights have passed all their periodic vehicle controls at different NPRA approved shops, and my 330e have even passed the vehicle control test at the Norwegian Public Roads Administration where they found the certificate from the approved test at TÜV NORD SPAIN (hence the "E9" on the taillight referring to them being approved in Spain) if these lights are "not certified"? I never buy lights thats not certified, exactly because i dont want my car to be ruled as non road worthy and have its license plate removed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:14 AM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

These are made by Vland, not some random Asian company. Vland makes tons of taillights for MANY vehicle models, and theyre all certified. There are obvious fake GTS style tail lights online that looks horrible, but these Version1`s and Version2`s are not one of them. Version2`s have since been revised with brighter turn signals because of complaints, which is why they now got 7 LEDs clearly visible in the outer light. Tail and headlights cant get ECE certified in a European country if the company behind the taillights have not had the lights DOT certified first. Dont ask me why, thats what the different car shops where i was an apprentice at when getting my certificate of apprenticeship in Norway have told me. Europe got extremely strict regulations about whats legal and not, if your car got non-certified lights on a periodic vehicle control that takes place every other year, it gets ruled as non road worthy and the license plate gets removed if you ignore it and decide to drive around anyways. Id like to know how my old prius with Vland taillights, my old GT86 with Vland taillights and my current 330e with Vland taillights have passed all their periodic vehicle controls at different NPRA approved shops, and my 330e have even passed the vehicle control test at the Norwegian Public Roads Administration where they found the certificate from the approved test at TÜV NORD SPAIN (hence the "E9" on the taillight referring to them being approved in Spain) if these lights are "not certified"? I never buy lights thats not certified, exactly because i dont want my car to be ruled as non road worthy and have its license plate removed.
These are bootleg or aftermarket lights that all originated from some Asian countries, that doesn't have or care to use the same standards in built quality as the OEM manufacture because their is no liability on their part.

If someone rear-ends you today because you have some insufficient taillights on your vehicle, "VLAND" couldn't give two shits about your problem because they don't have to and I'm guessing all their third-party seller will do is offer you a refund or replacement of the same light.

With taillights, the red plastic acts as a diffuser of light, it requires the correct quality and precision of the LEDs for them be noticeable in the daylight. BMW combines the a red diffuser ( outer plastic) with a green optical filter behind the LEDs to create a amber color output turn signal, which is visible in the daytime. Red + green = amber.

"VLAND" just throws in whatever is cheaper, looks cool and is required move units, to hell with if it's visible or not because they are not required to meet any sort of compliant standards or becomes legally liable if it isn't.

OEM manufactures have a higher power to answer to; the local government that has the ability to block sales of their new vehicle, if the lighting output is not sufficient, so they verify that their lighting are fully compliant.

The local government doesn't certify OEM or aftermarket lighting, they leave that up to the manufacturers to self-certify, with the notion that they are fully aware of the requirements and that their equipment are up to standards and the risk of not complying.

VLAND can put any insignia on their lights, real or genuine and it wouldn't matter one bit because they are not held to the same criteria as the OEM manufacturers are. The quality assurance or standard are really only up to the discretion of the reseller, not any local ordinances. They have very little to lose other than maybe future sales of their product.

https://www.boogeylights.com/theres-...-dot-approved/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 05:00 AM   #15
ethandolan
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320D

VLAND indicator issue

Does anyone know why my indicator and hazard lights work perfectly when my engine is not running but the moment i turn the engine on the rear left incator blinks really fast and throws an error code on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #16
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethandolan View Post
Does anyone know why my indicator and hazard lights work perfectly when my engine is not running but the moment i turn the engine on the rear left incator blinks really fast and throws an error code on the dash?
Have you done the necessary coding to tell the cars computer that you are now running LED lights And not incandescent bulbs?

The coding of disabling the warm/cold checks for newly installed LEDs has been discussed many times on these forums already

02-24-2022, 03:37 AM   #17
ethandolan
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Have you done the necessary coding to tell the cars computer that you are now running LED lights And not incandescent bulbs?

The coding of disabling the warm/cold checks for newly installed LEDs has been discussed many times on these forums already
ive seen the discussions about coding the lights but on the package that the lights came in it said no need to code so i foolishly trusted it haha. im gonna try coding the lights this weekend when i get a chance and ill report back

Thanks
Ethan
Appreciate 0