F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > XHP Trans Tune - Experiences and reviews?
GetBMWParts

02-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
XHP Trans Tune - Experiences and reviews?

Hey All,

I've got a 340 currently running stage 2 BM3. I have been looking into adding an XHP trans tune but haven't seen much in the realm of experiences or reviews from people. I was mainly curious about the following:
1. How do the claims made on the xhp website translate to actual user experience?
2. Has anyone had any issues with the trans tune?
3. Would you recommend it?

Bonus points to anyone who can speak to how it pairs with an ECU Tune. Thanks in advance everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Hey All,

I've got a 340 currently running stage 2 BM3. I have been looking into adding an XHP trans tune but haven't seen much in the realm of experiences or reviews from people. I was mainly curious about the following:
1. How do the claims made on the xhp website translate to actual user experience?

Bonus points to anyone who can speak to how it pairs with an ECU Tune. Thanks in advance everyone!
Yes it worth every cent! take xHP stage3 - is more comfortable than stock in comfort mode and it is crazy fast (like M-cars) in sport mode!
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Dreculah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

I'm going to wait a couple of years to see if the tune grenades the transmission.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

I'm daily driving the stage 3. It's decent, but it needs tweaking. I turned the throttle blips down a lot in manual mode, they're just too aggressive and upset the balance of the car under braking. Now they're butter smooth.

I'm waiting for the other features the 6 speed has though. I'd like a bit more torque reduction on upshifts for less slipping of the clutch packs. I'd also like to see it respond quicker to downshifts. The upshifts are great and super fast, but it still takes almost a second from click to blip. Looking at the M240i Cup cars, the bottleneck is clearly in the software, not the hardware.

Overall I'm happy with it. I hope they keep rolling out support for things beyond launch control. I have zero interest in LC. I'd love if they could get their hands on a cup car and pull the programming from it, assuming the electronics are the same.

I will say, get the MHD wifi adapter. Initial flash takes like 3 min with it. Map changes are like 20sec.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
xHP stage 3 here, just flashed a few weeks ago. I really like it.

I did the flash in prep for doing a custom E50 tune with Wedge Performance in order to remove torque limiters, was running MHD E30 OTS before that. I could tell an immediate change in the personality of the car, even before getting the Wedge base map. It really 'wakes up' the 8AT. The best way I can describe it is that I was making a fair bit of power on the MHD E30 map, but I didn't realize that the rest of the drivetrain needed to 'catch up' to the new power level I was making.

The best part is that more than ever before, I have 2 very different cars:
In Comfort mode, standard Drive, the car is polished, responsive and powerful. The exhaust flap is closed, the sound is subdued. (I'm catless + MPPSK exhaust.

Click to Sport+ and slap the shifter into Sport Drive and she's a banshee, aggressively holding gears and popping through downshifts. The xHP flash really accentuates the stark contrast between the two drive modes.

If you have a chance to drive someone's 340 with xHP, do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I've been Stage 3 for around 8500 miles. Love it. The part throttle shifts are actually more noticeable than the full throttle shifts. The car "jumps" into the next gear with so much aggression. The full throttle shifts are whip crack fast, like a DCT.
      02-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #7
conradb58
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240I Thundernight Metall

Quote:
Hey All,

Well I'm sold, are you OP ? Lol
      02-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb58 View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

Was running stage3, changed to stage2 since 3 was a bit to aggressive for me.
Stage 2 is like OEM, just faster. And the torque limiters is still set to a 1000nm ;-)
Had it on my e91 for several 1000km's without any problems at all.

Go for it

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 3
      02-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
Stanio
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F30 335 2014 Xdrive

I've been stage 3 for more than 10k miles and as soon as they came out with Stage 4 I flashed it.

This trans tune is amazing! Stage 4 has the drivability of stage 3 but once you move the shifter to the left the fun begins. It keeps the revs high and it has really aggressive shift points.

It's the only tune that would make me keep my car for longer than I anticipated and their customer service is top notch.

No issues so far, only smiles.

Money well spend in my honest opinion
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb58 View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

Stage 2 is like OEM, just faster. And the torque limiters is still set to a 1000nm ;-)

Go for it
Forgot to mention I have been running stage2 in my 435xd GC for aprox 50.000km now without any issues.
That with a remap to 369hp/750nm

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post
I'm daily driving the stage 3. It's decent, but it needs tweaking. I turned the throttle blips down a lot in manual mode, they're just too aggressive and upset the balance of the car under braking. Now they're butter smooth.

I'm waiting for the other features the 6 speed has though. I'd like a bit more torque reduction on upshifts for less slipping of the clutch packs. I'd also like to see it respond quicker to downshifts. The upshifts are great and super fast, but it still takes almost a second from click to blip. Looking at the M240i Cup cars, the bottleneck is clearly in the software, not the hardware.

Overall I'm happy with it. I hope they keep rolling out support for things beyond launch control. I have zero interest in LC. I'd love if they could get their hands on a cup car and pull the programming from it, assuming the electronics are the same.

I will say, get the MHD wifi adapter. Initial flash takes like 3 min with it. Map changes are like 20sec.
I hear you, but since you compare to M240i cup, does it have the exact same transmission case? If yes - why would the stock trans software be different.
      02-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I hear you, but since you compare to M240i cup, does it have the exact same transmission case? If yes - why would the stock trans software be different.
My understanding is that they are largely unmolested ZF8s. The gear whine suggests that they might be running straight cut gears though. Given the modularity of the power train throughout all these platforms, I think it's reasonable to hope that they used the same electrical hardware.

Why would the software be different in that case? That seems obvious. Why have multiple routines when you're only running one mode? Why bother with VIN locking when you may have to change a gearbox, especially if you need to change it in a hurry? My guess would be that is just a stripped down code base that just does one thing perfectly. I'd like to know what those settings are 😁

Last edited by kilogram; 02-04-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
xHP stage 3 here, just flashed a few weeks ago. I really like it.

I did the flash in prep for doing a custom E50 tune with Wedge Performance in order to remove torque limiters, was running MHD E30 OTS before that. I could tell an immediate change in the personality of the car, even before getting the Wedge base map. It really 'wakes up' the 8AT. The best way I can describe it is that I was making a fair bit of power on the MHD E30 map, but I didn't realize that the rest of the drivetrain needed to 'catch up' to the new power level I was making.

The best part is that more than ever before, I have 2 very different cars:
In Comfort mode, standard Drive, the car is polished, responsive and powerful. The exhaust flap is closed, the sound is subdued. (I'm catless + MPPSK exhaust.

Click to Sport+ and slap the shifter into Sport Drive and she's a banshee, aggressively holding gears and popping through downshifts. The xHP flash really accentuates the stark contrast between the two drive modes.

If you have a chance to drive someone's 340 with xHP, do it.
That is great to hear! I hadn’t considered that my trans would need to be adjusted to catch up to my stage 2 BM3 tune either. Have you experienced any weird issues with it at all? And did it take any massaging to have the trans tune play nicely with your ecu tune or did they work well together out of the box?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
That is great to hear! I hadn’t considered that my trans would need to be adjusted to catch up to my stage 2 BM3 tune either. Have you experienced any weird issues with it at all? And did it take any massaging to have the trans tune play nicely with your ecu tune or did they work well together out of the box?
No weird issues. I recognize some of the things that others mentioned like the throttle blips when you're decelerating. I guess I'm not picky about that sort of thing. If I'm driving in Sport+, Sport Drive in town, I recognize that I'm basically driving a bona-fide race car in traffic. At times it's gonna be a little jerky and it's gonna be aggressively geared because it's set up for the track. If it gets annoying in stop and go traffic or if my wife is in the car, I switch to standard drive and everything smooths out.

Also, my understanding is that if you pay for stage 3, you get stage 1&2 as part of the package. So if it's too much, you can reflash stage 2 and see if that's better for you.

One other thing I didn't note is that I really like the revised launch control. It's significantly more aggressive than the stock launch control. Stock launch control felt like taking off out of a bowl of pudding to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
theone1973
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140 -18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post

Go for it
+1 on text above !
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
The part throttle shifts are actually more noticeable than the full throttle shifts. The car "jumps" into the next gear with so much aggression.

I've been about 1,000 miles on Xhp Stage 3, and I have to agree with the above. I normally only drive in Sport mode and the part throttle blips or "jumps" in mid-throttle are extremely noticeable. When you downshift, you also get a similar "jump". Great tune for he tranny, the above just is noticeable and isn't as fun in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

thinking also abouth flashing my car ( m240i xdrive stage 2 450hp ) with xhp stage 2 , the problem i have , my car is in my opinion driving very good, even in sport + mode it drives like hell, so will a xhp stage 2 makes a big difference, and is this kind of tuning safe for the tranny ?

regards, P
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #18
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
thinking also abouth flashing my car ( m240i xdrive stage 2 450hp ) with xhp stage 2 , the problem i have , my car is in my opinion driving very good, even in sport + mode it drives like hell, so will a xhp stage 2 makes a big difference, and is this kind of tuning safe for the tranny ?

regards, P
Yes and yes, just do it
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 6MT

Which package do you guys recommend for tranny flash, the $250 or $350 one?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #20
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Which package do you guys recommend for tranny flash, the $250 or $350 one?
There's only one for our ZF8HP50, the Super 8 Speed for $349

If you are using the MHD black wireless adapter it also flashes XHP
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #21
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
There's only one for our ZF8HP50, the Super 8 Speed for $349

If you are using the MHD black wireless adapter it also flashes XHP
Yeah I have the wireless flasher, I might just do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #22
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
You can stack BM3 and XHP right? Any benefit?
Yes they do two completely different things
Appreciate 0