F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
GetBMWParts

09-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #309
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Any of you guys know if it's possible to remove or modify the app buttons on the "home" screen. I don't use DVR or Music and I'd like to remove it from the main screen. I'll either take it off completely or replace is with another app.

Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #310
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30
Any of you guys know if it's possible to remove or modify the app buttons on the "home" screen. I don't use DVR or Music and I'd like to remove it from the main screen. I'll either take it off completely or replace is with another app.

Is that possible?
It is not possible to change the top level tiles.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #311
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30

Is that possible?
Got ya thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #312
brichi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

well mine rebooted again twice on my way home using Waze. The unit got really hot (hot in car all day too) and reboots. Sucks. Ill contact tommy again but if i need a new one i have to pay for shipping again I'm sure which is insane, ill be up to $100 just in shipping costs trying to get a unit that works properly
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #313
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichi View Post
well mine rebooted again twice on my way home using Waze. The unit got really hot (hot in car all day too) and reboots. Sucks. Ill contact tommy again but if i need a new one i have to pay for shipping again I'm sure which is insane, ill be up to $100 just in shipping costs trying to get a unit that works properly
Damn man, sorry to hear! And here I was going to write a review today as it was scorching hot in the car yet it worked just fine. This was my biggest concern along with the glare/glossy screen, which has not been an issue either. I'm pulling for ya as it is a nice little unit. I's ask for a free camera or CarPlay adapter after what you've been through

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #314
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Technically you are correct but you can use any launcher from the PlayStore and some have gone the AUTO launcher route which offers tons of customization options I toyed with a few of them but actually like Tommy's (or whoever designed it) launcher so I went right back to it. It would be nice to change the tiles and rearrange them yes.

Was thinking of rooting the device then modifying it but for once, I don't see the need as I would only change a few minor UI settings and remove bloatware. Still might give it a go but I hate doing this when things are working well

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #315
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Damn man, sorry to hear! And here I was going to write a review today as it was scorching hot in the car yet it worked just fine. This was my biggest concern along with the glare/glossy screen, which has not been an issue either. I'm pulling for ya as it is a nice little unit. I's ask for a free camera or CarPlay adapter after what you've been through
do you use Nav like Waze while it was hot? mine is fine until I'm navigating which is obviously putting the unit under some heavy use

I'm curious too, Do you know what GPS wire extender i should use to extend the antenna to my back window? I see a bunch online obviously but i not they down have the screw threads like the Avin unit uses to secure the antenna to the units wire

Last edited by brichi; 09-06-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #316
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
use Nav like Waze while it was hot? mine is fine until I'm navigating which is obviously putting the unit under some heavy use
I used Google maps yesterday, 35 minute drive, no issues. (not even a freeze up) I wouldn't think Waze puts it under a heavier load.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #317
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichi View Post

I'm curious too, Do you know what GPS wire extender i should use to extend the antenna to my back window? I see a bunch online obviously but i not they down have the screw threads like the Avin unit uses to secure the antenna to the units wire
Just noticed this as I replied before your edit (or during)

I am pretty sure it is RP-SMA but just to be on the safe side, you might want to confirm with Tommy. Is your GPS not fixing the location quickly? (less than 10 seconds for me, sometimes half that) I mounted mine directly under the top of the dash on the right away from everything.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #318
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

thank you, I put mine in that spot also and a few morning it took up to 10 minutes to get a gps locked in signal for maps to work. Once i put it by my windshield it locks in right away each morning. I wanted the extender so its by my back window and i don't see it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #319
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

brichi No problem. I should feel lucky then as when I mounted the antenna, I thought the same (will it take too long to lock) so I pushed it as far right and forward as possible. Knock on wood, almost a week in, no GPS or any other major issues to report except for the ambient lighting and my stupidity with the SD card: the "luxury lighting" option is no longer white on my pillars, center console and doors but is mixed with orange and white. (looks cool for now but will have to address it as I prefer white lighting) It's an odd issue for sure as my overhead changes to white and red/orange just fine along with the footwells! I tried every option and combo in the UI too...

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #320
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

mine was locking in fast throughout the day in and out of the car but once i let it sit over night for 12-13 hours then it had trouble getting the signal for a while while looking at the GPS app on the unit
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #321
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Now I really consider myself lucky man, which is unlike me! I do get a startup delay when starting the car in the morning (15-30 seconds at BMW logo/Boot logo) but that is all and the GPS always fires right up for me. (I like to program it everywhere I go to avoid the backups except for the quick trips/stops)

Last edited by jeffc83; 09-06-2017 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: No need to keep quoting as it wastes space:P
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #322
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hey guys just throwing in my two cents as I just got this android unit installed yesterday.

Install went flawless, I didn't get the camera feature. May consider it down the road.

-Screen is super smooth and boots up within 5 seconds of starting the car. Love the screen size upgrade.
-I use the stock GPS android app, can't remember the name offhand but it has the blue loadup screen. Works great, the trip time calculations tends to be off a bit during rush hour, I suspect because the maps are offline and it's not calculating traffic. No stuttering or freezing.
-Bluetooth music works fine but the volume as some have said needs to be fully up on my iPhone. The call functions not as good as the BMW connection so I keep the android Bluetooth off completely. I use the BMW Bluetooth phone function only.
-I was able to download Spotify onto my unit so my musics all loaded up and mirrors what I have on my phone. It resolved my music need in lieu of using the android Bluetooth function with wonky sound.
-My gmail is set up so when I pull into the drive way at home or the office my emails refresh (instantly upon wifi connection). If for some reason I need internet connection on the road I just tether off my phone.
-There are a ton of apps I don't use I wish I could delete them (music, dvr, phonelink). This includes tiles on the home screen but my understanding is this can't be done?

All in all I love this solution. My wish list included:
-Bigger screen
-Navi
-"Nicer" interface than the old stock one
-Run music without having to hook up my phone to my car

...And this solution ticked off all the items

Down the road I'll get the cam, by for now I'm super happy with it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #323
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

nice! congrats man, glad you're enjoying it!
Appreciate 1
7iM3less2595.00
      09-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #324
gbracerx1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 - Midnight Blue

What Nav are you running, i.e. that came with your unit. Mine came with Google Maps only installed. I installed Waze and utilize a mobley in the car which gives unlimited internet for $20 a month so I have an always on connection.

Also does your steering wheel control anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #325
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Congrats and glad to hear you are so happy!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
7iM3less2595.00
      09-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #326
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbracerx1 View Post
What Nav are you running, i.e. that came with your unit. Mine came with Google Maps only installed. I installed Waze and utilize a mobley in the car which gives unlimited internet for $20 a month so I have an always on connection.

Let me double check in the morning what brand my navi is. My understanding is it's the one that comes on the factory Mazda models. Mine also came with google maps but it's kinda useless unless your on an internet connection or download specific route maps. In your case your fine!

In terms of the steering wheel it does not control anything other than my music when I'm connected via Bluetooth. I can skip songs using the roller dial on the right hand side. It also controls my volume as per the std BMW interface. Otherwise I use my steering wheel buttons mainly for phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #327
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbracerx1 View Post

iGO navi is what came loaded on my android.

https://www.igonavigation.com
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #328
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
iGO navi is what came loaded on my android.

https://www.igonavigation.com
I just received mine last week and I did not have this installed either. Glad you got it up and running; enjoy!

Hoping some improvements are in the works but if they cut us off now, I'd be fine with it.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #329
veloarc75
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 320d

Any1 installed this screen while they still had warranty on car? I really want this but i bought my car 7 months ago so i still have a lot of time before warranty expire :/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #330
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloarc75 View Post
Any1 installed this screen while they still had warranty on car? I really want this but i bought my car 7 months ago so i still have a lot of time before warranty expire :/
Mines installed in my car and I have 2 years CPO warranty outstanding. I can't see why this unit would void anything. You still have access to the original interface and factory setting are unaffected.
Appreciate 0