F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #111
random9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

I'm somewhat interested as well and like lesnica, I have seen what looks like the same think on aliexpress. While I'm not particularly worried about android auto; however, I do have a few concerns...

First, raichean in the video mentions that the factory back up camera does not automatically pop on to the screen without manually switching to the native iDrive. Is it specific to certain models? Has this been resolved?

Second, the device is running a fairly old version of android...many years old. Some apps are starting to require newer versions of Android. Given the price tag of the device, do we have any idea if the vendor intends to offer an upgrade to a more modern version of Android?

What about firmware upgrades / bug fixes? Are there any so far?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #112
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by random9 View Post
I'm somewhat interested as well and like lesnica, I have seen what looks like the same think on aliexpress. While I'm not particularly worried about android auto; however, I do have a few concerns...

First, raichean in the video mentions that the factory back up camera does not automatically pop on to the screen without manually switching to the native iDrive. Is it specific to certain models? Has this been resolved?

Second, the device is running a fairly old version of android...many years old. Some apps are starting to require newer versions of Android. Given the price tag of the device, do we have any idea if the vendor intends to offer an upgrade to a more modern version of Android?

What about firmware upgrades / bug fixes? Are there any so far?

TIA
Great questions

1. Factory camera taking over display when in android screens - no solution yet, and I am still noodling on this one myself. The aftermarket camera works PERFECTLY, but that makes sense as it hits the trigger wire in the display for that. My guess is tapping the display trigger wire, to the appropriate factory harness trigger wire, but I don't know what that is. The question is still outstanding to Avin.

2. Version of android - Older version yes, I haven't hit any apps that don't work yet (with one exception) so not really an issue. The only exception I have found in the JB4 mobile app. Android 4.4 supports Bluetooth up through 4.0, but the display is 2.1. The JB4 mobile app needs 4.0 to talk to the box, so that wont work. App installs fine, no OS issues, just a BT module issue. My understanding is that it would require a hardware change on the display, so that isn't on the horizon. No idea if an OS update in planned.

3. new builds - yes, talking with Tommy, I have gone through three new OS builds, reportedly, to address issues so the support model is there.

Great questions!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #113
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have spoken with Avin and they have fixed a few of the issues like mirror link and some UI issues. So all of the new units have that fixed and as far as i was told they are working on fixing the kmp to mph issue, so il probably be placing an order sooner or later on.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #114
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I am sorry you are having trouble, and I speak with Tommy of Avin often and regularly. Speaking ONLY FOR MYSELF, I have heard they are actively into the issues you have mentioned, and I have only run into issues with car play and my android system. I can understand how if that is a crucial feature for you, then it is a big problem. For me, its a function I could care less about, so don't even think twice about it.. I have tried again and again to make it work, and while I can get a loaned iPhone to work instantly, my S8+ will not. *shrug* But then I don't really care about it..

Regarding Sygic, I will check that out as I hadn't made that change in my app. I also bounce around between NAV apps quite a bit between that, Here, and Waze a little.

I trust Tommy will get it all worked out.
Interested in upgrading the stock 6.5" screen, but many questions:

So wireless AirPlay works perfectly with iPhone? Does it stretch the screen or display in correct aspect ratio with black bars on the sides?

How is Google Maps? Do you have to connect to a WiFi hotspot in order to get all online features like traffic, or can you just connect your phone via USB for internet access?

Is there any coding required to have the OEM screen set up correctly? (i.e. going from the non-split screen on stock 6.5" to split screen set up for AVIN 10.25")

Does it support USB flash drives? What filetypes are supported, specifically will it play MKV/MP4 videos and MP3/AAC/FLAC? Are there still any volume level issues? Do movies play in correct aspect ratio?

Do you get the full Google Play Store?

Can you have the unit default to the OEM split screen display on startup?

Does the ATSC TV tuner work well while driving?

Any fix yet on the backup camera popping up while in Android mode?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #115
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Interested in upgrading the stock 6.5" screen, but many questions:

So wireless AirPlay works perfectly with iPhone? Does it stretch the screen or display in correct aspect ratio with black bars on the sides?

How is Google Maps? Do you have to connect to a WiFi hotspot in order to get all online features like traffic, or can you just connect your phone via USB for internet access?

Is there any coding required to have the OEM screen set up correctly? (i.e. going from the non-split screen on stock 6.5" to split screen set up for AVIN 10.25")

Does it support USB flash drives? What filetypes are supported, specifically will it play MKV/MP4 videos and MP3/AAC/FLAC? Are there still any volume level issues? Do movies play in correct aspect ratio?

Do you get the full Google Play Store?

Can you have the unit default to the OEM split screen display on startup?

Does the ATSC TV tuner work well while driving?

Any fix yet on the backup camera popping up while in Android mode?
I will do my best to answer all of your questions, some of the things I haven't done or tried.

1. Airplay - I don't know, I briefly tried a loaner iPhone to test the connectivity and it worked.

2. Google maps - I don't believe USB connection will work, and have attached to my phone hot spot many times. Works great.

3. No coding required

4. USB flash drives do work, and any file versions supported by Android 4.4 will work. I haven't personally tried all of the formats you mention.

5. Full google play store though again my sample are the apps I normally use, who maybe there are some that wont. So far, zero issues.

6. It will default to whatever the last screen was running when you shut down. That is the OEM iDrive screens for me 90%+ of the time.

7. I don't have a TV tuner to test, but it will play movies in motion.

Hopefully that helps..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #116
Swiftmike
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 328i

So whats the price of the Avin and is it better to get this then too wait for the new Andro system coming out?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #117
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftmike
So whats the price of the Avin and is it better to get this then too wait for the new Andro system coming out?
So there is always an argument to be made about waiting.. but then there is always something in development behind whatever you waited for anyway. it's like waiting for a river to stop, and it won't.

That said, this display was and is a daily upgrade even though i had the 8.8 oem display. The screen is sharper, larger and looks better across the board even in the oem iDrive screens.

Tommy also has a new update out this week that improves the screens even more AND adds some needed features.

I will have a new review video posted in the next 7-10 days showing the update and changes. (little busy getting married atm lol)

The other thing is ever single owner I have shown in person was like daaayaaaaamn.. I gotta get one, as soon as they see it.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #118
random9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

raichean While patiently waiting for your new video review of the new update, would you be willing to share a few details around it. For example, are there over-the-air updates available (e.g. Internet online update)? Or, do you have to go to a website and download to a usb drive, etc...? Is there a changelog available or are you just going to play and discover what's new or updated? Still Android 4.4?

Thanks and looking forward to the video too!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #119
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Great questions

1. Factory camera taking over display when in android screens - no solution yet, and I am still noodling on this one myself. The aftermarket camera works PERFECTLY, but that makes sense as it hits the trigger wire in the display for that. My guess is tapping the display trigger wire, to the appropriate factory harness trigger wire, but I don't know what that is. The question is still outstanding to Avin.

2. Version of android - Older version yes, I haven't hit any apps that don't work yet (with one exception) so not really an issue. The only exception I have found in the JB4 mobile app. Android 4.4 supports Bluetooth up through 4.0, but the display is 2.1. The JB4 mobile app needs 4.0 to talk to the box, so that wont work. App installs fine, no OS issues, just a BT module issue. My understanding is that it would require a hardware change on the display, so that isn't on the horizon. No idea if an OS update in planned.

3. new builds - yes, talking with Tommy, I have gone through three new OS builds, reportedly, to address issues so the support model is there.

Great questions!
I've been following this with interest, I would love to upgrade to a larger screen and Android but the JB4 bluetooth issue kills it for me. Hopefully a bluetooth update will get some attention at some point.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #120
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112
Quote:
Great questions

Great questions!
I've been following this with interest, I would love to upgrade to a larger screen and Android but the JB4 bluetooth issue kills it for me. Hopefully a bluetooth update will get some attention at some point.
Candidly I wouldn't let that one thing stop you. I use the display every day, and appreciate the update, added features and vastly better image. Yes, running the jb4 app on it would be neat, but my phone does that just fine.

It really has been a upgrade that has been worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #121
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftmike View Post
I'd say to hold off a week to at least see what the Andro 10.3 has to offer.

To me these are the advantages :

-Sold directly at your BMW dealer
-1 interface that controls everything (no switching between android and regular idrive)
-Quality must be top of the line if BMW jumped with them to allow the sell of this screen
-Screen mirroring
-Apple Music

It comes out in a week, we should see videos popping up soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #122
grancoupef36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: gran coupe 2016

will this allow FULL bluetooth connectivity with my android phone? as in, ill be able to browse music folders and select songs through my cars interface? cause as of stock, i'm unable to do that, only able to play next and previous track
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #123
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
I'd say to hold off a week to at least see what the Andro 10.3 has to offer.

To me these are the advantages :

-Sold directly at your BMW dealer
-1 interface that controls everything (no switching between android and regular idrive)
-Quality must be top of the line if BMW jumped with them to allow the sell of this screen
-Screen mirroring
-Apple Music

It comes out in a week, we should see videos popping up soon.
$995 though, also why do they say 2013 and up? Am I missing something. Would this not work with a 2012 CIC?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #124
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That?s a good question not sure if 2012 and 13 use different hardware, they are pretty responsive try messaging them on Facebook
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #125
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That?s a good question not sure if 2012 and 13 use different hardware, they are pretty responsive try messaging them on Facebook
AFIK The NBT was not available until 2014 in the US, so I am not sure what the disconnect is. I have noticed that some websites think the F30 came out in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #126
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
AFIK The NBT was not available until 2014 in the US, so I am not sure what the disconnect is. I have noticed that some websites think the F30 came out in 2013.
Maybe it's by build dates? My 2014 has a 2013 build date and has NBT
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #127
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Maybe it's by build dates? My 2014 has a 2013 build date and has NBT
That's not usually how its done, but who knows. My F30 is a 2011 car then.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #128
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by random9
raichean While patiently waiting for your new video review of the new update, would you be willing to share a few details around it. For example, are there over-the-air updates available (e.g. Internet online update)? Or, do you have to go to a website and download to a usb drive, etc...? Is there a changelog available or are you just going to play and discover what's new or updated? Still Android 4.4?

Thanks and looking forward to the video too!
my apologies for delay in reply.. been crazy busy this week and also got married!

I will make my update video this week, and definitely will try to answer all the questions about the update. I haven't seen a change log though.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #129
husskad
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 M50D

Congratulations raichean, looking forward to your update..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #130
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by husskad View Post
Congratulations raichean, looking forward to your update..
Thank you!

The updated review is here, and just posted. As always I welcome feedback, questions and any other comments.

Appreciate 2
CleanKM103.50
jeffc83725.00
      08-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #131
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Though I have no darn clue of why it didn't upload in high res.. *growl*
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #132
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Nice video. Thank you for that.

Not sure if this valid saw it on another forum.

You can use coupon code bimmerfest155 to get 155$ off this display.
Appreciate 0